Roughest area in Nottingham?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#68 That post bought back some memories. In the late 70s I was part of a crew installing central heating all round that area. We worked as two man teams and were paid by the job and could earn very g

It's kept this thread alive for several pages, but I think we've earned our reward now.

Chapel - its posh there intit? A mate of mine used to insist on pronouncing it Chapelle San Le-nard, as though it was on the Riviera.

#68 That post bought back some memories.

In the late 70s I was part of a crew installing central heating all round that area. We worked as two man teams and were paid by the job and could earn very good money for the day. The stories I could tell would make your flesh creep.

One day one of the guys from another team came to where we were working and told us we must come across the road to house where he was working, he wouldn't tell us why but insisted it would be worth it. My mate and myself were to busy getting our job done but eventually curiosity got the better of me and looking out of the bedroom window I could see blokes coming out the house curled up with laughter.

Telling my mate I was taking 5 minutes I went for a look see closely followed by said mate. It was the style of house were the bathroom was of the kitchen, with a separate W.C. beyond the back door. On entering we were told to check the kitchen radiator, the excuse for all these visitors and so walked into the kitchen. It didn't hit us at first but we suddenly realised that someone had cut the bathroom door in half horizontally like a stable door and there stood a ...............donkey, bath filled with hay, wash hand basin as a water trough. Don't know what the tenants did for a bath, they probably didn't. We had to get out quickly as we couldn't stop laughing............. a Skegness donkey on his winter holidays perhaps.

• Upvote 5

To be honest we worked all that area and there wasn't a lot of difference between any of the estates, all had their good and bad.

And it wasn't just Nottingham, Sheffield was very similar as was Preston, it seemed that anywhere there was a large conurbation it was the same.

I think one of the factors was there had been such a vast increase in social housing as they cleared the slums that the bad came with the good and they knew no other way of behaving. They probably thought the queen herself had green dog shite on the bed blankets.

Our house when madams on the warpath !!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

Once did an estate at New Mills in north east Derbyshire. The council there has a de-lousing team that we could call in large 35cwt transit in white with large day-glow red lettering to try to shame them into keeping the properties clean.

Went in one house there, no internal doors just ex army blankets nailed to the wall over top of the door frame, no skirting boards or architraves all been burnt on their fire.

• Upvote 1

NewBasfordlad (#88)....That house wasn't occupied by indigenous Australians by any chance???

Houses given to our native land holders back in the 60s had the same fate, particularly in W.A. and the N.T.

The window frames use to go as well and all that was left was the house shell. Houses opposite the New Norcia Monastery in W.A. were a prime example. Used to house the indigenous ones, the entire group of houses slowly disappeared up in smoke.

• Upvote 1

New Mills was a funny place. If you check a map you will see that the nearest main road is the A6 which runs along the valley into Stockport, sort of bypassing New Mills. This was followed by the canal obviously also along the valley floor as it was the only level place. Then came the railway and this followed the canal route.

So the ordinary folk of New Mills ended up cut off, you would work up a street there and there would only be 4/5 different sir names on the entire street.

Once did an estate at New Mills in north east Derbyshire. The council there has a de-lousing team that we could call in large 35cwt transit in white with large day-glow red lettering to try to shame them into keeping the properties clean.

Went in one house there, no internal doors just ex army blankets nailed to the wall over top of the door frame, no skirting boards or architraves all been burnt on their fire.

Similar origin is given to the phrase "Was yer born in Warsop?" which me dad used to say if we ever left a door open.

In the 80's when I worked for BT, there was a few areas we dreaded working, even though we were treated reasonably well mainly due to the fact we were bringing their shiny new telephone that Social Services had paid for. (If it was a social case it was stamped on our paperwork)

Some parts of Bestwood, St Annes, Woodborough road flats especially, and Sherwood around back end of Hyson Green, all come to mind.

They were many more but not on our area, mind I did work around Mansfield for a few weeks on loan and there was some Rough buggers there.

Remember one place in Hyson green it was the pits, chap brought me a cup of tea (think it was tea anyway) in the grottiest chipped dirty mug you've ever seen ! I never asked for it he just brought it me ! I nearly gagged as I had to drink it while he watched me !

Another place up on on Oxclose lane near Edwards lane, we had to get the council in to steam clean it before we would go into fit the phone it was so bad !

We were on instructions that if the place was really bad, to call in our inspector( our first line supervisor) and he would check it out and call in the council or social to do the business.

I could never believe how people could live in such shit and dirt !

Mind as Trevor S says the indigenous here come close if not worse in some places and nothing is done apart from move them into another refurbished house so they can wreck that one too.

• Upvote 1

Remember one place in Hyson green it was the pits, chap brought me a cup of tea (think it was tea anyway) in the grottiest chipped dirty mug you've ever seen ! I never asked for it he just brought it me ! I nearly gagged as I had to drink it while he watched me !

Another place up on on Oxclose lane near Edwards lane, we had to get the council in to steam clean it before we would go into fit the phone it was so bad !

We were on instructions that if the place was really bad, to call in our inspector( our first line supervisor) and he would check it out and call in the council or social to do the business.

I could never believe how people could live in such shit and dirt !

Do you mean that you had to wipe your feet before you left some of these places ? ;)

Peveril - re #73, you might be interested to know that the big new Cornerstone church on Castle Boulevard, where the MFI warehouse used to be, is the present day successor of Palin Street Baptist. Their pastor (priest is a bit different) came to Palin Street about 40 years ago, and is only now on the point of retiring. I think the old Palin Street building had some serious structural problems, and they eventually bought a disused nightclub on Raleigh Street as a replacement place of worship. Then they grew with a lot of professional people coming into the congregation, as well as a vase crowd of students. Eventually they became too big for the nightclub and existed for a long time by hiring a school hall for their main meetings. As I understand it, they raised the finance themselves to buy the old MFI place, and rebuild it. My daughter is a member there, and my wife and I may well be at the Christmas morning service tomorrow.

• Upvote 3

Our first full time vicar at Palin St was Rev Kenneth Macarthy an ex Welsh miner. I remember visiting the Raleigh St chapel for a reunion about 25 years ago. I was told that they were on the look out for somewhere bigger. About 20 years ago I went to a 70th birthday party for senior member of Palin St., He was the leader of the Scouts and youth club. I was quite surprised to learn that a lot of the members had moved to a Methodists church?? I got the impression that the modern Baptists happy clapping was too far removed from tradition. Would have suited me though. Palin St was good for me - I am now an agnostic although I was baptised there as a 16 y/o.

Enjoy the service tomorrow Stephen.