Roughest area in Nottingham?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#68 That post bought back some memories. In the late 70s I was part of a crew installing central heating all round that area. We worked as two man teams and were paid by the job and could earn very g

It's kept this thread alive for several pages, but I think we've earned our reward now.

Chapel - its posh there intit? A mate of mine used to insist on pronouncing it Chapelle San Le-nard, as though it was on the Riviera.

Maybe someone could count the most mentioned place? Winner gets a sandpaper anorak. Right - just off for a pint :hand:

But then what we all think it was it might add up to the place you thought it was originally, and wasn't, and we still wouldn't know the roughest place, according to your nephew. Bleddy 'ell.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...

Not somewhere like Wollaton, West Bridgeford or Ravenshead is it?

Got to be Woodthorpe...

Broad Marsh, Narrow Marsh and the Meadows were known as the the worst slums in Europe up until the war, I remember my dad telling me stories about these places when I was a child growing up in Hucknall in the 50's..........He once walked down there with his dad as a lad in the 1920's , they were selling a bed to a poor family and they were accompanied by 6 coppers for their safety.....

Oy! - I was born there. Very respectable I am - just like Billy Bennett "Almost a gentleman!"

Only almost a gentleman !!!!........I know people who live in Woodthorpe, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.....................Anyway, who the devil is Billy Bennett ?........Wouldn't be that comedian by any chance, from Glasgow, who died back in the 1940's ?........

Don't know what Woodthorpe is like now, but it was a lovely place when I was growing up there. I'm really ashamed to say that when we were children, we believed that Arnold was not a nice place to go, and to a lesser extent, Sherwood. Mapperley was considered to be OK. I think I must have been a bit of a snob, I'm sad to say. BUT I'M NOT ANYMORE.

• Upvote 1

I've just remembered..... seeing as someone mentioned donkeys in a previous post. there used to be a donkey living in the front garden of one of the really big posh houses on Woodthorpe Drive in the late fifties. I was jealous cos I would have loved to own one. Don't think it was there for very long.

I never knew the donkeys in Skeggy - I only knew the donkeys from Chapel- St - Leonard's where we went on holiday from 1946 - 1954. I used to pretend to help the donkey boy when I was about 9 or 10. Sad or what! Even sadder .... Get the violins out .... I've never been outside of the British Isles. People didn't really go abroad when I was young, then when they started to, we couldn't afford it. Now I just can't be bothered. I know this is nothing to do with the roughest areas of Nottingham so I'll shut up now!

• Upvote 3

You all must have blinked and missed it. This must be THE roughest area FINALLY revealed. :ohmy:

Nah.... we'd just gi'n up waiting. Nowt we didn't already know anyway; even the rats go round in pairs up there.