Roughest area in Nottingham?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#68 That post bought back some memories. In the late 70s I was part of a crew installing central heating all round that area. We worked as two man teams and were paid by the job and could earn very g

It's kept this thread alive for several pages, but I think we've earned our reward now.

Chapel - its posh there intit? A mate of mine used to insist on pronouncing it Chapelle San Le-nard, as though it was on the Riviera.

When I worked in Mansfield, the folk there thought the Ravenshead lot were very stuck-up. They called them those at Ra-venn-sheed.

First time I heard this sort of thing was when I was a kid. In Coronation Street, Albert Tatlock said he was going on his holidays to Morrie-cambie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I moved to West Bridgford when I was around 5 or 6 (my old dear wanted me to go to a good school). However, after a few years we had to move back to the Meadows although I continued going to school in Bridgford. Due to the reputation of the Meadows I had mates that never wanted, or were allowed, to venture over the bridge to visit.

I personally never found the Meadows that bad myself. But I guess it depends on what experiences you had when you were younger as to whether things shocked you. I thought nothing of local kids kicking in our garden fence every year to make a bonfire on the grass area near the precinct. The council would soon repair the missing panels so that the kids had more firewood for the weekend.

• 3 years later...
On 2/19/2015 at 2:03 PM, WilliamsonMeadows said:

I moved to West Bridgford when I was around 5 or 6 (my old dear wanted me to go to a good school). However, after a few years we had to move back to the Meadows although I continued going to school in Bridgford. Due to the reputation of the Meadows I had mates that never wanted, or were allowed, to venture over the bridge to visit.

I personally never found the Meadows that bad myself. But I guess it depends on what experiences you had when you were younger as to whether things shocked you. I thought nothing of local kids kicking in our garden fence every year to make a bonfire on the grass area near the precinct. The council would soon repair the missing panels so that the kids had more firewood for the weekend.

Council? My lot suffered slum private landlord's..kicking in the fence wasn't, a sensible option....

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the perception of what might be classed as "the roughest area of Nottingham" depends on your own personal experience in each and every particular area.

I lived in the Meadows (Briar Street) right up until I was 21, and left in 1971 to a council flat in Hyson Green flats (Castle Walk) and had a wonderful experience of caring parents ( dad died when I was 11) and neighbours who were always there in times of need.

There were certain families that you KNEW you did not go against or upset, but if you kept your nose clean and behaved then you were part of a bigger protected family, and woe betide any outsider coming in and creating problems. There was a defined order and that made me feel safe.

TBI has mentioned his experiences in N Ireland during the troubles and I can relate to some of his comments, having also worked in the Republic and the North during the troubles.

Having worked in the Republic in the past, particularly Dublin, the worst area by far and away was an area called Ballymun in North Dublin. If you want a glimpse of North Dublin watch the fantastic film "The Commitments" especially where the young guy is taking his horse up the lift in the high rise flats.

You know, despite us saying this area was bad and that area was worse, I love this city and its people and when I was working abroad I could not wait to get back.

• Like 2

I used to live off Briar Street in the late 50's, a terrace opposite the Hozene works, Osman Terrace. I think my parents moved from there around 1964ish to the London Road end of Kirke-White Street.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:29 AM, IAN123. said:

I did jobs in Cleveland ( uk ) many years ago..that was well rough..rob the eye out yer' head..Tallaght is interesting too..you need at least 3 previous to get a tenancy.

I live in Co Duham now, but worked in Middlesbrough for many years. It is indeed a bit rough. 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:35 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

I used to live off Briar Street in the late 50's, a terrace opposite the Hozene works, Osman Terrace. I think my parents moved from there around 1964ish to the London Road end of Kirke-White Street.

I used to live in Bosworth Terrace so we were near as damn it real neighbours. Perhaps you might remember the Fryer family who I think lived in Osman Terrace?

The old poem "What do they make at Hozene"? It was on fire more often than not. Poor old Mr Lambert with his bull dog, Keeling's beer off Days newsagent, Clara's chip shop and never forgotten The Clifton pub. Also do you remember the Toobys who lived down the yard next to the wood works where Redgates used to keep their pop wagons?

Fryer doesn't ring any bell's Roy, Keelings beeroff, used to get my Dad's beer for him from there, and Clara made some great chips. There was a greengrocer almost opposite the chip shop, used to be run by a very old lady, she made some great apple pies. Her Nephew took it over, Jim something or other, been too long now.

Once I'd started with the NCB, my parents moved us to a house on Kirke-White Street East, the old two up two down wasn't big enough for them myself and my new baby Sister.

I think I only used the "Stute" a couple of times, when you see one of the fellers we worked with showing someone how to set a prop under the table, I said pubs in future, work stays at work..LOL.