Joe Cocker RIP

Joe Cocker died after a long battle against lung cancer.

One of the very, very best. RIP Joe.

• Upvote 8

"RIP Joe Cocker" - I knew him before he became famous......... He did the Working Men's Clubs around North Notts and South Yorkshire and he was a friend of my ex brother in law, Chris.......I can remember his first record, it was called Margarine and did not get anywhere. I tried selling copies around my friends in 1969, his next song was a big hit and he was on his way........what a great guy.......Not a very happy time for his wife and family just 3 days before Christmas - deepest sympathy to them..........Xxx

• Upvote 7

Very sad news and doesn't that just cap a dreadful few months of some great artists shuffling off their respective mortal coils?

IMHO his cover versions were often improvements on originals.

• Upvote 1

Just had to add my bit to this thread,I started on the gas board in 1959 at the age of 15 I,am a month younger than Joe, he was of course in Sheffield and I in Nottingham but our paths crossed once in Long Eaton where the East Midland gas fitters used to go for refresher courses but nothing special although I did delight in his fame knowing like me he carried the compo roll on his shoulder and waited for corpo buses to get from job to job also believe he carried two sticks to beat out time at the bus stop(so i was told) I was also in Australia in 1972 when he got busted for drugs in Adelaide which seemed a low point for him,but as we all know he came through this and went on to have a big career,lived in America and grew veggies in place of drugs.

Like all of our age we look so fondly back of the 60s and when someone from this stage of our lives passes away it takes a little bit from us, RIP Joe and I for one will be doing my best on the stage in May as George Dillingham in "Aspects of Love" I hope I" break a leg" and will have a toast to you.Trevor.....

• Upvote 1