Anybody in to guitars?

Never could afford a real beauty, had Hondo's, Kay's,etc.. Got a firebird,Yamaha acoustic, had a goldtop and flogged it and framus( great action). My lads play Roland keyboards and a lovely pearl kit,a Gretsch countryman would make me happy!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For my 14th birthday in August 1964 my older sister Marion took me to The Odeon in Nottingham to see The Beatles in “A Hard Days Night”. I'd started listening to The Fabs when Marion brought home thei

It was done in a flash. It obviously affected his playing momentarily but it didn't detract from the song. He was the absolute master. As I've stated elsewhere on other topics, I've seen nearly every

I have a American Strat 2012

Danelectro 12 string also American made.

Gibson studio 1993 USA.

8 guitars in all

Blackstar amp for when the wife goes out

Tech 21 for less noise but still sounds really good.

there used to be a guitar maker in Nottingham in the 1950s. The name on the instrument was Ricardo

I'd be interested in any more information on this. I don't recall Ricardo guitars and I've been all over Google.

I used to use an Orange and two Orange cabs for bass and a Gibson EB 2 bass, I had two of these and an Epiphone version, loved em' "cab crushes" they used to call em'

I use a Custom Sound 100w bass combo and a Peavey entry level Bass just for keeping my hand in and recording stuff on the DAW plus a c.40 year old jap made Fender F95 Acoustic guitar which has mellowed into a really nice guitar.

• Upvote 1

#30. BM. If someone has Nottingham trade directories for the 1950s/1960s period, they might mention Richards/Ricardo.

If someone has Nottingham trade directories for the 1950s/1960s period, they might mention Richards/Ricardo.

I'd be very interested as I do quite a lot of buying and selling of guitars and have come across a few rarities. One I paid £80 for and sold almost immediately to a chap in the US (where the guitar came from in the first place) for twenty times that. Obviously, you have to know what you're looking for. Never having seen a Ricardo I could probably pass it off as a piece of tat.

The guy was actually Edward Richardson, you'll find info and some pictures if you search images. Scroll down on this page too.

Thank you, you're a gent.

Is this the same folks you were talking about Chulla?Uae4KNA.gif

Yes, that's him. Well done TBI, I didn't think my memory was playing tricks. Now you will have to have one, BM - doubt the one I saw in the second-hand shop on Canning Circus in the 1960s is still there!

Interesting to see the 'iconic' ORANGE amps in this thread.

Always used to make me laugh when I used to see guitarists tweaking the DFA control, expecting some sort of difference in tone.

Great programme on BBC 4 about Marshall amps recently.

I always assumed that they were mainly distortion, but was suprised to find that when you put music through them they actually sound really nice and clean. It's only when you crank them right up that you get the distortion.

Amps are as much important to the tone as the guitar is, and it's important to get the right combination.

They mentioned Jimmy Page on that Marshall programme, but one of his tone 'secrets' is an old Supro amp.

Another iconic brand is Vox and the legendary AC30, but you have to make sure you get a 'good' one.

Brian May has a wall of them. They are a very important part of his sound.

Yes, that's him.

Thanks Chulla and TBI - I appreciate your help.

I see the guitar in the first link only went for $500.00, I would have expected at least $3000.00 and would have hoped for $10 or $12.000.

Interesting to see the 'iconic' ORANGE amps in this thread.

I always assumed that they were mainly distortion, but was suprised to find that when you put music through them they actually sound really nice and clean. It's only when you crank them right up that you get the distortion.

I love my Marshall 8080 valve amp, I set the gain on channel 1 to about 6 and get a beautiful clean singy sound. Channel 2 is set to maximum smoke and I control the 'sound' with the volume control on the guitar. Volume has a lot to do with it as well, some places I play it feels like the roof is coming off others I feel I could do with another couple of KW.

I just got rid of an Orange stack to a neighbour, I don't think his missus was best pleased, it cost him £300 and he keeps waking the kids :biggrin:

and had a fiddle

It's called "noodling" these days :biggrin:

YouTube is my best mate, everything you could want to learn to play is on there. I used to spend a fortune on sheet music (no tabs) back in the day, not need for that now. I've just finished learning 'Can't get enough' by Bad Company and brushed up on 'In to the void' by Black Sabbath.

• Upvote 1

Ha. You make an interesting point Mick!

As someone whose keen to see what chords are being played on some of the 'classic' hits of our times, I've accessed no end of Tab sites, but they all seem to have one thing in common - they are mostly wrong !

They are either in the wrong key or they've completely misintepreted what is being played.

So, as you say Mick, it's great to go on YouTube and look at what is actually being played by the people who played on the record.

There are also some clever folk on there who can show you step by step how to play some of these hits.

They're not always correct, but you can tell within the first few seconds if they've got it right or not.

I was looking at what Keith Richard played on some Stones tracks recently - he used to do all kinds of strange things.

Different tunings, capo'd, strings missing.

But he was the master of 'comping' i.e. playing along with really interesting riffs rather than just strumming.

An underrated guitarist - probably cause he wasn't into blistering solo's.

I'm playing a forty year old jap made Fender F95 acoustic guitar I,ve had it from new, a present. I never actually liked it but it did service as a spare guitar with a Schaller pick-up attached or tuned permanently in open G for slide guitar when I was gigging. I now love this guitar, especially as it turns out it is a bit of a collectors item, when it was new the Fender F95 sold for $10 dollars more than a Fender Strat! below is the original guff, it has the feel and sound verging on a Martin, of course it's well made of real wood and after years of playing it has as they say "played in" I'd really like to get out a bit, open mike nights, folk clubs that sort of thing but it been such a long time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F95 - 1973

The Dreadnought size guitar with three piece back and sides of naturally finished selected Jacaranda wood. Choice seasoned Spruce top with ten piece white binding. Ebony pin type bridge with removable saddle. Additional saddle provided for altering string height. Neck of satin finish Mahogany with Ebony fingerboard and adjustable truss rod. True tonal quality. Deluxe professional quality enclosed machine heads. 20 frets; 25½ inch scale. Size: 40 5/8 inches long, 15¾ inches wide, 4 7/8 inches deep.