G'day everybody. I'm a first timer on Nottsalgia and so not quite sure of the hows and wheres to post. BUT there's lots of chat here about streets, and my query is about streets in Radford, so ... My Grandfather, Albert Cooper left Radford/ Nottingham in 1914 to take up a job as a jackaroo on a sheep station near Jerilderie in NSW, Australia. I'm trying to find the street where he was born (Butler Street) and where he lived (Forster St and Mapperley Road) - but I'm struggling. They don't seem to be there anymore, or not the bits where he lived. Then I read about something called the 'Radford clearance' - doesn't sound good. Can anyone explain the missing streets, or where I can find them (together with any clues on where to find photos from turn of the century Radford). Many thanks in advance.

• Upvote 2

Welcome Andrew. I can answer a couple of your queries.

Forster Street is (still) in Radford - although the housing has changed, Mapperley Road is in Mapperley Park / St Anne's area. Both visible on Google Maps.

Butler Street was in Radford, but no longer exists.

• Upvote 1

Welcome Andrew, you'll find some great topics here and meet some fantastic people.

Welcome Andrew I worked with a chap who lived on Forster street by the unusual name of Jack Frost Many many years ago, in the roofing trade. other than that I can't tell you much about Radford as I 'm a Carltonian (Carlton, Mapperley area) good luck.

Welcome Andrew and have fun. Although brought up in Bilborough, my roots on both sides are in Radford, although it has changed a lot since I was little.

• Upvote 1

Welcome Andrew, have a good time on here, sometimes it makes you laugh, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, but eventually..... "MAD "

Welcome Gibbo, hope you njoy Nostalgia...................I was born at Mucky Huckna..........

Ayup AFR. Welcome, You may need to take lessons in Nottinghamspeak to understands some things on here.

I had a mate live on Forster St. Family name of Gregory. Forster St was quite respectable in the 40's and 50's and housed a lot of workers from Players Tobacco and the Raleigh Cycle works. .

As mentioned in previous post, my Pa came to Oz from Nottingham just before the outbreak of WWI to work on a sheep station near Jerilderie in NSW. Here is the letter of recommendation that helped him onto one of the Commonwealth schemes that sent young men from UK out to Australia, NZ, Canada etc:

Written on invoice paper from "J.V.Leafe, Family Butcher: Pork pies, Tripe, Cowheel, Pickled Tongues, Corned Beef"

Quote: Albert Cooper has worked for me about two and a half years, he is honest respectable youth, able to dress sheep well and has good experience with Killing Beast and Pigs, he is accustomed to horses, both stable work and driving he is very good writer and would soon make a good shopman being obliging to customers, during this time he has been at regular work with me and is strong youth.

J.W.Leafe, Mapperley, Notts

Corner of Robinson Road and Woodborough Road

Nottingham, April 2, 1914"

Tripe, Cowheels and Pickled Tongues - hmm.

• Upvote 3

Written on invoice paper from "J.V.Leafe, Family Butcher: Pork pies, Tripe, Cowheel, Pickled Tongues, Corned Beef"

J.W.Leafe, Mapperley, Notts

Corner of Robinson Road and Woodborough Road

Nottingham, April 2, 1914"

Tripe, Cowheels and Pickled Tongues - hmm.

The one on the left, or the right?

robin.jpg