Hi all, merry christmas to all on the forum, I hope its been a good one.

whilst travelling along the loop road in colwick to my unit, the old kemp works, im facinated by the old road and the old bridge ramps either side. I know the loop road was a train line before a road, but has anyone got any pics before it was a road? And what route did the original take? I can see the old station platform but where did it go after that?

• Upvote 1

A bit more than you might've expected.

The loop road when it was still a railway. It's the lower (southerly) of the two lines here which often run parallel. You can see the Racecourse station you mentioned. Other wise it was almost a straight swap of rail-for-road.

loopall.jpg

And this is the place marked as Hall Sidings on the map, which was apparently the place where horses were (un)loaded for the racing.

halt.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yes I think it is, katyjay. Until relatively recently (1970s I think), for local government purposes Basford Rural District Council extended way beyond the area of Basford as we now know it. For instance, it also included Clifton.

It included Eastwood too.

It always seemed to me that Basford RDC included everywhere but Basford which was and is part of Nottingham since at least 1890. I think the HQ of BRDC was Rock House in Basford.

It always seemed to me that Basford RDC included everywhere but Basford which was and is part of Nottingham since at least 1890. I think the HQ of BRDC was Rock House in Basford.

When we first moved to Eastwood, and for a fair length of time afterwards we used to have to go to Rock House to pay the Rates. I wasn't very old and I still remember they a high counter that was so high I couldn't see over it. And it was high by anybody's standards

• 7 months later...

I remember when this was a railway - I spent from the mid 50s to mid 60s living in New Vale Road. This was a cul-de-sac leading to the pair of lines running into Victoria station. The end of the road was just blocked off with old sleepers.

When the road went over the railway, the bridge was a nasty sharp turn. Still, Victoria station should not have been shut and demolished.

• 3 weeks later...

My dad got himself a job as a clerk to the company building the loop road, when he was 63! He was about the only candidate who had any skills useful for work!!