Joe Stockwood's on Wollaton Street.

Does anybody remember Joe Stockwood's cafe at the bottom of Wollaton Street?

In the late sixties as a young 16 year old l went there everyday for 1 up with beans (pie, chips and beans) a cup of strong tea (it's the way it came) and bread and butter. Joe who was partially deaf would take the orders and shout them through to the kitchen.

Sometime later it was delivered by a heavy made up lady, I think is wife also worked there and took your money before leaving.

It was always full, often sitting next to complete strangers which as a youngster was quite daunting at times, on the bench seating,

l can't remember what the lunch cost but l do remember those pies being very tasty.

• Upvote 1

It's speciality was One Up & Chips. (Pie & chips)

That's spooky sue B 48,

l think Stockwoods Cafe is now a barbers shop....do you see the connection meat pies-barber shop, the only difference it should be the other way round barbers shop-meat pies but still interesting

Ignore my post about one up and chips. That was the chippy across the road next to the pub.

My mate Geof owned Rawson's Stamp shop a few doors down on the corner with Peart's cob shop and when l was older l was a regular at the Penny Farthing club, remember queuing up on those stairs many times. Fond memories again.

My mate Geof owned Rawson's Stamp shop a few doors down on the corner with Peart's cob shop and when l was older l was a regular at the Penny Farthing club, remember queuing up on those stairs many times. Fond memories again.

And again.....

stamp-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

That's the one. Great after a Saturday lunchtime session.

There used to be pub next to the Co-op on Wollaton Street opposite Skills which l never went in and just can't think of its name.

Tap n Tumbler ?

I remember that Chinese, bit not the name. Businessman's lunch 7/6d

You yong thing, i remember when it was 3/6

• Upvote 1

Tap n Tumbler ?

No benjamin1945, Tap n Tumbler is still there. I use the pub at least once a month same price as wetherspoons. This pub was further up Wollaton Street, right hand side of the co-op, infact attached to the co-op.

I don't remember the penny farthing club, but I am sure I have been up those steps, so what names did it have later. (tramps) possibly late 70s

I used to go there a lot in the seventies when it was called Scamps. That is, until my sister nicked my membership card one night and tried to get in. Unbeknowing to her, they had different colours for male and female and the doorman ripped it up!

Seeing the picture, I remember the Chinese, the Canton. We'd sometimes go in there after a visit to The Tavern in the Town just a bit further along.