Skill's open day 2017. A nice collection of coaches on display today. A brand new 72 seater Volvo coach ! I've seen double deckers with that capity. This one is done by fitting smaller seats in a 3x2 configuration, built especially for school trips.

P1030350_zpsyueeysbd.jpg

P1030333_zpsrlozsfrd.jpg

P1030330_zpsji25jvok.jpg

P1030321_zps92zdpehk.jpg

Silverdale Coaches owned by Skill's.

P1030337_zpse2dyjidv.jpg

Plus numerous other coaches owned by Skill's.

National Express coach owned by Skill's used on contract run to London. Wheelchair lift room inside for wheelchair ! Relaxation area at the rear of the coach with two tables for passengers to go & have a hot drink from the on board  kitchen area, not forgetting the on board toilet !

P1030338_zps9v6yazlg.jpg

P1030339_zpslszvxdbl.jpg

P1030340_zps74drnw0j.jpg

P1030332_zpsrodapvro.jpg

Pass the keys !

P1030345_zpsjjicgqvr.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When l was very young l remember my gran would get the sudden urge to go on a coach trip, so off we would go from Bilborough by bus to Skills on Wollaton Road. And there she would study on where to go

Move over young 'un, let me show how it's done properly !    

Last weekend's trip to Eastbourne was a bit different, coach wise anyway. At the last moment our allocated coach was changed to a coach used by some ice hockey team, Nottm Panthers or something, it mu

Chatting to a member of staff & mentioned that I had done a bit of bus & coaching in the past & was asked if I would like a job ?  Quite serious too, thanks but no thanks I said.

PSV license revoked on med grounds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

sorry it cost you your PSV license.  Sounds like you were ready for a break anyway, though.

Last time I was in Nottingham was 1997.  We rented a car from a place on Bath Street.  I think it may have been Hertz.  We did o-k but I remember then complaining about the volume of traffic.  We drove out of Bath street to the centre of town and then down Derby road to Stapleford.  It felt funny driving on the left again as well.  I was glad when we got to Stapleford.  We did o-k after that.  That was twenty years ago.  Hard to believe and it must be even heavier now.

• Upvote 3

Good question Oz, but no. Self leveling air suspension  all around takes care of that.

Loppy, re Hertz rent-a-car on Bath Street. Believe that place is the old Post Office building where all the vans & trucks were based there. Remembering the old BSA Bantam motorbikes used for telegram delivery were also based there too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Catfan

The old post office building was originally  the mechanised parcel sorting office, I worked there on it's construction, and many times after it opened.

The place is literally full of blue asbestos (crysidilite sp.) very nasty stuff indeed, we were there when it was found to be carcegenic and cause mesothelioma.

We were told to have regular chest xrays and if affected we would be covered, whatever that means in todays age.

It was literally boxed in to seal it away, with hundreds of sheets of plywood, it was supposedly fireproofing for the steel structural element of the building.

Sorry to go OT.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Last weekend's trip to Eastbourne was a bit different, coach wise anyway. At the last moment our allocated coach was changed to a coach used by some ice hockey team, Nottm Panthers or something, it must be some sort of "girly" hockey game. Anyway the coach had tables & chairs plus other extra's & very nice to it was.

Usual Neoplan bodied Scania but half decent anyway !

Mrs C & I had four seats & a table all to ourselves !

P1050135_zpsd98mi89y.jpg

P1050208_zpsga4veyyh.jpg

P1050210_zps3znncoca.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

That's for holding your beer, so as nothing gets spilt or wasted. ........ Well, the drinker gets wasted eventually !

• Upvote 2

No, anyone can purchase number plates these days subject to various conditions. These are old northern ireland plates, the letter "i" gives the game away !

Coach operators like to use so called private plates away so as not to show the true age of the coach !

All Skill's coaches are all quite recent I'm glad to say !

• 2 months later...

Skill's latest pair of new buses. One luxury coach & one luxury double decker. The DD is named "Arthur" after Arthur Skill the company founder.

arthur-coach_zpsm2ldvorn.jpg

Not my poor quality picture but Skill's !

• Upvote 2

Last week (remember when it was hot !) , we were walking in Portreath , (Cornwall) and a young lady thrust 2 tickets in our hands for a free coffee at a place called the Gold Centre .

It mainly sells jewellery but has a few other small attractions. 

Be rude not to accept so went along to get the coffee ,  though did purchase an expensive piece of cake !

There was only one coach in the car park , a Skills ,  could have been the new one above . 

Good to hear some Nott'm accents again .

• Upvote 1

#93. If you want to know what happened to all those old Leyland and Bedford coaches, they ended up in Malta. They were modified to incorporate air conditioning - they took the windows out!. They had a driver (with an image of his patron saint hanging in front of him) and a ticket ripper-upper. I jest not, while the driver just sat there his mate took your ticket and put a rip in it. That was his job. It was great place for old British cars too. I heard that when they went into the EU, its regulations put paid to the old vehicles.

• Upvote 1