has anyone any photos of Sands on Vale Road ,especially the steam cranes ,my grandad lived at 205 and i used to spend hours watching them

Yes I remember the steam cranes at Sands of Colwick, think there was three of them. One of them was featured on Salvage Squad with Suggs[Madness] and Clare Barret..The crane in question was a 1936 Garret.,A video of its rebuild is on line. Hope this helps.

a bit off topic swe48 but did you happen to know tony starky from your sidecar racing days

only vaguely from white hart days when we were all spotty faced herberts I mainly used to run my ex wd M20 outfit ,and knocked around with Hammo a lifelong mate he spends a lot of time at MFN these days ,Nice to hear from you

just remembered somebody told me a bit ago that Tony Stark had bought the ex Dale Ward Saab outfit although it is now kwak powered

know ammo and lyne well from 41 club whitehart and mfn.

starky has been trying to get back into sidecar racing for a cople of seasons but had a bad accident on it last summer broke his arm and a few other injuries think the side car is a right off.

• 2 months later...

I have only just found this site: I used to live about 2/3 along New Vale Road Colwick during my teenage years (1955-64), so we saw the 3 cranes trundling around the (appalling quality) track in Sands' yard. I now live in mid Devon, and I'm secretary of my local model engineering society. The other day I was round at the house of one of our members, who is Devon born and bred. I was admiring his freelance model of a steam crane, which he is hoping to display in Bristol in the summer at BSMEE in Thornbury. He fished an old video tape from a drawer: he had recorded the Salvage Squad programme which showed the Sands crane being restored. I nearly fell off my chair!! Does anyone know where the programme can be found on line? Is it on YouTube?

While on the topic of steam, does anyone who lived in Colwick earlier than me remember Colwick loco? It was pretty rundown by the mid 50s.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the welcome in #9-12. I have been looking at the Transport thread - obviously lots of people on this site who remember far more about railways than me!!

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a bit away from the cranes topic but could anyone help me with my dads old place in Colwick?

It was called Clayton Gauges,the Colwick bit was my dads and they made gauges in sand boxes,I loved to sit and watch said process as a child in the late fifties and early sixties.The other part of the business was based in Arnold and my dads brother William headed that bit.It was a small foundry we used to get of the bus and Then I think we crossed over the railway lines?

Any help would be most appreciated

This is really random but does anyone remember Colwick cheese?

I remember when we lived on Vale Road at grandads going to Priory Road School on the bus and diembarking at Sands onthe way home and watching a young chap stepping off the bus as it stopped and taking two or three steps to stop , I thought it was dead cool and decided I would leave the bus this way ,but sadly as I made my attempt and stepped off the platform at about twenty miles an hour I realised my little eight year old legs wern,t fast enough and I knocked the waitining queue down like skittles , mam gave gave me a well deserved thrashing after but it still makes me giggle to think of it

• Upvote 1

Just been sorting through some negatives and came across 21/4" square b&w negs of Geo. Sands Ltd. Colwick, dated June 1968.

They comprise of external yard area showing steel sections, train track, crane, bridge, buildings and internally showing steelwork being set out prior to fabrication. The General Manager at the time was Mr. J.A. Hasury? (spelling unsure).

At the moment I cannot scan these negatives but I am working on it and will upload when available.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I seem to recall me dad doing a bit of steel erecting for george sands.. I believe the school nearby caught fire.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some black & white and colour photos of a couple of these cranes running round the yard, plus some 8mm cine of them too. I'll try and post some of the photos soon, but the cine film is trickier!