ideas for inventions practical or daft

I don't want to get into a quarrel but enjoy arguing different points of view PP.

We eat meat because it's in our nature, those of us who have any teeth left that is. We are top of the food chain and hunter gatherers have for millennia killed for food. But for fun? for enjoyment?

I have as a youngster fished on the Trent, outside the power station was famous for Gudgeon and I spent many hours on the Clifton side of Beeston weir and caught mainly colds.

I did catch a fish, can't remember what it was, and the hook went in it's mouth and the barb came out from just under it's eye -  that put me off for life.

I applaud your efforts with the environment, I put quite a bit of effort and not a little expense with feeders and nest boxes etc for the birds and hedgehogs but I wouldn't dream of trapping them.

I know we have several keen anglers here, what do they think?

Am I wrong to think angling is a cruel sport?      thumbsdown

• Like 1
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week I went fishing with two pals. We had to walk over half a mile over rough ground with two of us carrying our fishing tackle in rucksacks and holdalls. The other pal had a fishing trolley to c

I have not eaten meat for over 40 years and for many years didn't eat fish either, although I now do. As I have 3 cats, I need to provide them with cat food and they cannot survive on a vegetarian die

A useful item, not possible to patent, is the man's selective hearing switch which blocks out unwanted conversation but allows the head to nod in agreement.

I have not eaten meat for over 40 years and for many years didn't eat fish either, although I now do. As I have 3 cats, I need to provide them with cat food and they cannot survive on a vegetarian diet, despite recent arguments to the contrary among vegan cat owners.

I detest the idea of killing anything.  Those who can tear their attention away from their smartphones for long enough to pay attention may have noticed that there are fewer and fewer swallows to be seen in the skies each summer, chasing fewer insects. We don't like bugs and insects but do we realise how essential they are to our survival?  More and more people, destroying the habitat of this planet's wildlife. No one voices concerns about the rapidly shifting balance. All we hear is, "Build more houses." 

Nature, in one way or another, will eventually stop us and we can't say we haven't asked for what we'll get.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Brew said:

I don't want to get into a quarrel but enjoy arguing different points of view PP.

We eat meat because it's in our nature, those of us who have any teeth left that is. We are top of the food chain and hunter gatherers have for millennia killed for food. But for fun? for enjoyment?

I have as a youngster fished on the Trent, outside the power station was famous for Gudgeon and I spent many hours on the Clifton side of Beeston weir and caught mainly colds.

I did catch a fish, can't remember what it was, and the hook went in it's mouth and the barb came out from just under it's eye -  that put me off for life.

I applaud your efforts with the environment, I put quite a bit of effort and not a little expense with feeders and nest boxes etc for the birds and hedgehogs but I wouldn't dream of trapping them.

I know we have several keen anglers here, what do they think?

Am I wrong to think angling is a cruel sport?      thumbsdown

Catching them to eat is fine by me. Catching them for sport, just to throw them back in, can’t be right.

• Like 2

It's a balancing act. We are surrounded with cruelty. Some aspects of farming and industry. Pet ownership.

Another mouse on the doormat this morning. That's one a day for the last week but no birds for a couple of weeks thank goodness. I had to stop feeding the birds last year when the kittens grew up. My birdwatch count each Spring was 20 or 30 birds of different types. Now it is nil! Is it cruel to keep cats? I think it is but it is not my call.

My angling group have been instrumental in making a local farmer clean up his act. He polluted our local brook twice and wiped out the fish and food source for the Kingfishers etc. We have got it back to where it was by working with the EA. Although we rent the water I do not fish it. Rather be seen as a guardian of it. 

I cannot honestly say that angling is not a cruel sport, however I would say, that without angling there would be no fish there to angle for.

• Like 3

Cats are carnivores, in the wild they don't eat vegetation, other than grass to make them vomit to clear hair balls.

Dogs on the other hand are omnivores like us, a fact I found out from a vet years back, she said wild dogs eat the contents of their "kill's" stomachs.

My cat lives outside, she was the offspring of a feral cat that showed up one day and left her here, even though she gets meat and cat food from us, she eats out often, keeping the local rodent population in check.

• Like 3

That we are surrounded by cruelty is sadly very true but are any those cruelties necessary? I think not.

Young J Sparrow of this parish raises some good points in support of balance, we are wrecking the place with ever increasing speed. but I think your last point may be a bit of a stretch. There are responsible clubs I've no doubt but suspect most clubs do not actually have their own water to be guardians of.

Is it cruel to keep cats and dogs? I can't see that it is, depending on your definition of cruel. Useless yes, pointless yes but cruel? I think not. Cats have remained true to their nature and yes they kill 55 million birds (RSPB figures) a year. Whether there would be as many dead birds  if cats were not kept as pets is open to argument.

Dogs on the other hand have been bred and trained to virtually eliminate every natural behavior, now all they do is chase cars and produce 1000 tonnes of excrement a year

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, denshaw said:

I once shot an Elephant in my pyjamas.

More to the point, why do you wear such large jim jams?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

..and wer'e chucking out slices of bread for them!

Why don't you let them chuck their own bread out,lazy little sods

Rog