Two years ago I chose one name at random from a Nottingham War Memorial to see what I could discover about the life behind the name. William Eric Woodward lived on Gawthorne Street New Basford with his sister and mother. His mother was, unusually for this time, a painter and decorator having taken on this role in 1908 following the death of her husband. At the out break of war in 1914 Eric, as he was known, was just 15 and a scout at Blackwoods in Sherwood.

Whilst I was aware of his name on the church memorial (St Andrew's with Castle Gate church in Nottingham) I subsequently discovered that he was employed by John Players in 1916 and is also named on a memorial which is now within their horizon factory.

Eric died in 1919 in Leicester Military hospital he was just 20 years old. In his memory his Scout Master presented his mother with a album of photographs of Eric in his scouting years these include photographs of Eric with Scouting founder Baden Powell.

A memorial gateway to all Scouts who died in WW1 was built by the Scouts at Blackwoods and remains there to this day.

I have suggested that one of Nottingham's new trams is named after him, not as an individual but one name taken at random representing all Nottingham's unsung heroes, all those on our Nottingham War memorials who made the ultimate sacrifice in WW1.

• Upvote 9

Andrew,

I thought it very moving reading about Eric Woodward and so typical of many families during that period in history. I too have similar stories to tell of my ancestors which l will write about later. There are very few families who escaped the horrors of WW1.

Interesting suggestion of yours. Although I have complete admiration and respect to ALL service men and women AND civilians who died in all wars to protect this little Island and believe they should never be forgotten. But l am struggling to see if plain John Smith’s name from WW1 on the side of a tram would mean anything to many apart from a few.

It would give me great pleasure and pride to see my great gran dad, who fought and died in action in Flanders, name on the side of a tram. Apart from a small majority it would mean nothing and quite sadly a lot of others wouldn’t care a fig.

• Upvote 2

Given that most known victims of the Great War (and indeed WW2 and in some places the Boer War) are written on war memorials all over the land, having a random name on a tram would be somewhat superfluous. If anything, perhaps 'The Unknown Soldier', but maybe VC winners like Albert Ball.

• Upvote 3

Good post, AndrewAdam. It's sad but true what Robbie stated, that most people wouldn't care a fig about the name of a soldier who'd been killed in WW1. In todays world of mountains of graphic war videos the kids just don't understand the reality and true horror that servicemen/women went through during WW1.

Bilbraborn's 'The Unknown Soldier' seems like a good idea and I must thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. I lost a relation in WW1 and I've attached the thread below.

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11788

• Upvote 3

Good idea. but perhaps the tram name memorial should be "Tommy Atkins". That was the famous nickname applied to British - and particularly English - soldiers for a very long time.

By naming the tram after "Tommy Atkins" we'd be paying tribute to all the 'Tommies' of WW1.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...