Brealey and Jessop

I am constantly amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is around in Nottstalgia.

I have a brass plate 5"x3".

Does anyone know who Brealey and Jessop were? What they made? When they were making things?

2ev44fs.jpg

It was with a number of prewar car manufacturer plates in an auction of vintage car automobilia.

The rest all made sense because I know the names of the car manufacturers and they were much smaller the kind of small plate found on the wooden dashboard giving the car number and sometimes engine/chassis number.

Anyway this is clearly not a car plate........... I guess it was some machinery of some kind as they are large fixing holes.

Unusually there is nothing showing up in the old newspaper archives for this name .

Only online ref is for this old ebay lot:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/brass-plaque-makers-brealey-jessop-417838547

Have checked the National Archives Board of Trade records and there is no mention of them. So, looks like they were not a Limited Liability company.

I wonder if it is the same plate as went through ebay? Sold or not sold??

It came to me Sept 2013 so possibly.

Further scrutiny suggests that it was hand made with each letter separately stamped (not from a single die) and not using a hammer!

So probably a small concern of some kind with a large set of letter stamps, a press, and a careful owner/operative.

Thanks for looking in your archives.

Oh! Absolutely brilliant well done Bubblewrap.

I knew someone would be able to solve it!!

Thanks a million any chance of sending me a scan of the page?

Here's the full entry

Brearley & Jessop

Hydraulic & general engineers, gas,oil & steam engines, shafting, gearing, pumps, valves & general machinery repaired.

Mount Street Works

Mount Street

Tel 4394

Kelly's 1925 Directory page 419

• Upvote 1

Looking at my collection of directories (earliest 1844) and my large collection of maps it's amazing how many companies, factories were in and around the city some were only in existence for a short period some lasted decades.

To prove Bubblewrap's point, this is a directory from 1890-ish (I only have access to part of it). Mount Street Works was then occupied by Alfred Goater who were box makers and stationers. There is still a printers called Chas. Goater operating in Nottingham today, presumably connected.

I can't work out which side of the road 34-36 was on, but if it was on the north side, it would have been demolished to make way for Mount Street bus station.

mount-6.jpg

There are adverts of Goater's in more than one Kelly's with a nice picture.

Mount street even numbers Right hand side going from Chapel Bar 34 -36 had gone by1932 & it looks like where the bus station was built

In my Kelly's of 1932 Numbers 34 -38 appear to be missing but there are is a listing(un numbered ) for Mount Street works with five companies/tenants in situ.

Very strange but just typing in "Mount Street Works" into the news archives doesn't bring up a thing for Brealey and Jessop.

So they never advertised their services , never advertised anything for sale, never advertised for staff and seem to have come and gone with no mention .

However , other names linked with businesses at Mount Street Works (as well as Goater) tbat have numerous mentions (mainly for staff) are :

Jacques,

Easom,

Barnes,

Parsons and Smith,

Boyle,

Cullen,

Astle,

Dean Bros