Hi,

I was wondering if the house at 97 Main St in Burton Joyce is the original house that was there in 1891?My daughter and I visited last year and found this address where my grandparents used to lived before moving to Nottingham. Their names were John Thomas and Annie Elizabeth Coy. My grandpa would have been 4 at the time Just wondering if it is the original or a new one that has been built more recently.

Thanks.

Tannis

• Upvote 1

You have to be careful when trying to trace old properties like this , as the street has probably been re-numbered

In a few cases in the 1800s that I have had a look at , houses were numbered in a linear fashion I.e. starting 1,2,3, etc up one side of the street until the end ,say for example up to number 61. Then cross the street to number 62 and come back down 63,64,65 etc.

Seems to have been a 20 century thing to have odd numbers on one side and even on the other .

Just to show what a difference re-numbering can make . (If that happened ).

Our old shop (not in Notts) that was number 22 since 1925 had previously been number 124 when the street had been numbered in a linear fashion .

Just been looking at the various census for Burton Joyce . Right up to and including the 1911, I can't see any house numbers being used on Main St , Burton Joyce in any census .

Not sure where the OP has found the number 97 Main St , Burton Joyce in the 1891 Census. However I wonder if he/she has confused the schedule number of the census with the house number ?

Schedule number is not the same as the house number (if any) .

Ann Swabey will know better than me but I think the schedule number refers to the form used to record each household's details at the time of census .

Not very scientific but searching the news archives, the first year I can see any house numbers being used in any articles / adverts on Main St , Burton Joyce was 1927 !

Maybe before that the postman just relied on family names ? In which case it may be very difficult to trace

which house that John Thomas lived at in 1891.

• Upvote 1

My late mother lived at 11, Hillside Cottages, Main Street until she married my father in 1948; the house was her grandmother's, and she'd have lived there from about 1928 to 1948. Her grandmother was a Mrs. Shaw, later Mrs. Rowbotham when she remarried after being widowed around 1930; her second husband was Joseph Rowbotham, a local baker.

Having just glanced at the Streetview image, I can offer the following information; the white house on the opposite corner of Hillside Drive was, during the 1960's,a grocer's shop, owned by a chap called Neil Page who was a friend of my mother's and lived in Southwell; he used to drop off our groceries on his way home on a Friday night. Home delivery; nothing's new is it?

Mum's old house was one of the row after that one; my memory's a bit hazy as to the actual house in the OP's question, but I'll hazard a guess that it's been extensively rebuilt. If you look at it closely, the left half would seem to be the original. probably had a concrete rendering which has been stripped off, or else it may have been lime-washed; I can't remember now.

If you look across the other side of the road, now that is a timewarp; those old tin sheds have been there for as long as I can remember, think a chap called Mr. Roper owned them, seem to remember he ran a plumbing business. Next to them is Caernarvon Drive; Number 1 is the former home of my godfather, Derek Foster, who still lives in the village.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the comments. The street view picture that Cliff Ton posted is the exact house that I was talking about. And thanks for letting me know that it looks new. Your comments on the house numbers and how they worked back then are interesting. I think I have confused the schedule number with the house number. So thanks for giving me that information. It is so nice to have this forum to ask questions!

• Upvote 2