Brian Clough.....40 Years

I used to use a café at the bottom end of Musters Road during the Clough era and a few players used it also for a cup of tea after training. They used to relate what a disciplinarian he was and that's why they were sat where they were sat, if you see what I mean.

Grummit

Hindley Winfield

Hennessey Mckinaly Newton

Lyons Wignall Baker Barnwell Moore

When Ian Moore scores a goal shove your Hector up your .... And we'll all go mad as Forest go marching on.

I stood in the Trent End too....happy days.

• Upvote 3

Joe Baker had a house on Bramcote Lane. I used to see him sometimes on my way to catch the E8 into town.

As regards Cloughie, I love the fact that they've put that clip of him shaking his fist into the Match Of The Day title sequence now. Can anyone remember who it was that he was aiming at ?

As I remember, Peter Taylor joins in with the fist shaking and threats as well.

I'd better come clean about my football experience. In 1949 dad took me to Meadow Lane to see County play (I have forgotten the name of their opponents). We went to see Tommy Lawton play and stood on Spion Kop. Lawton didn't play, and County lost 1-0. The following year I went with a pal to see Forest play Everton. Capel and Collindridge (sp) in the team. They won 1-0. Whilst still at school I went to see a schoolboy match at Meadow Lane. And that's it, my sum total of attending football matches. 65 years have past and I have never once had the urge to go and see another match. Oh, and I love cricket, but have never once been to a match!

Grummit

Hindley Winfield

Hennessey Mckinaly Newton

Lyons Wignall Baker Barnwell Moore

My first heroes, pitythey didnt win anything - I HATE BRIAN LABONE STILL

The Clough era was a dream come true , all written down in my Forest Chronicles from 63 to 80 memories they cant take away from us

• Upvote 2

When Ian Moore scores a goal shove your Hector up your .... And we'll all go mad as Forest go marching on.

I stood in the Trent End too....happy days.

Then there was...............tral lal lal lal la...........HENNESEE

ba ba ba Barry lyons,ziga zaga ziga zaga .....Joe Bakeer , and of course I,I Ian storey moore not forgetting Winfield for England,tee hee.

• Upvote 1

The problem was, under the Johnny Carey era Forest had a fantastic team, but, whoever was in charge of the finances of the club at the time, they weren't prepared to put any money into the team. Subsequently there weren't any decent reserves, when Joe Baker broke his leg, or rather Brian Labone deliberately did it, their formation and play were up in the air, the only decent footballer they had as a reserve was Alan Hinton and they were soon keen to get rid of him.

Remember some of the ridiculous signings they made, Alex Ingram, God forbid, who worked that one out, what a useless pillock.

I missed the glory days under Cloughie, I'd moved down to wonderful Essex at the time, I recall the banter between myself and my office manager at the time, a keen Ipswich supporter, I went to the Charity Shield Match at Wembley when Forest trounced them, Brian was as usual a nutter and substituted Martin O'Neil when he was running the show and had scored two goals, Brian got really booed for that stupid decision.

He could be a pratt, let's not forget that..

Johnny Careys team talk was just 3 words 'Keep fizzing it' according to a couple of ex players.

• Upvote 1

Good old Brian Clough - what a great guy, outsopken, honest, hard working and he was a Georgie, I love Geordies.....................

• Upvote 1

Johnny Careys team talk was just 3 words 'Keep fizzing it' according to a couple of ex players.

He didn't have many players to talk to, it must have been an easy team chat to deal with as the few players he had were so talented, unfortunately, if one got injured, the team were stuffed, the purchase of Jim Baxter summed it all up at the time, a drunken has been, along with all the rest of the few reserves they had.

I recall when they signed Alex Ingram, 'The New Dennis Law'. I think the high attendances were down to the fact that the crowd wanted some Saturday afternoon entertainment, ie lets see how long Alex can stay on the pitch before he trips over, I came across better players in the Sunday football leagues, who had the bright idea of signing that useless idiot was beyond me, the scouts must have been issued white sticks, the decent players were trying to set him up with a goal but he was incapable of even doing that just like the way they played Sammy Chapman at centre forward until years later someone realised he was a damn good defender, I think it took the fans just one match to work that one out.

Forest could have been a great team in the late 60's, but the directors, and management, were absolutely pathetic, they made sure they went nowhere, it was the humiliating defeat by Notts County in League 2 at the City Ground that finally kicked their backsides into gear to take on board Cloughie. I loved that match, Forest finally got what they deserved at last, a good kick up the arse for all involved.

I remember the song.........

We are supporters of the Forest Joe Baker is our King

Peter Grummit is our Goalie and Ian Moore he is our wizard on the wing

Terry Hennessey is our captain, John Barnwell inside right

We are supporters of the Forest and we play in red and white.

But like Firbeck says, they didn't really live up to the song, even though we both used to stand at the Trent-End singing it.

But football seemed a lot more exciting then.

• Upvote 1

YOU are right bilbraborn football was more exciting then,players seemed to play with more freedom,and did'nt seem to have to conform to strict game plans,hence the entertainers such as Duncan Mckensie,Jim baxter,Peter Osgood,Alan Hudson,Tony Currie, and going further back Eddie Bailey,Tom Finney not forgetting the greatest of them all George Best.............ah great footballers in the truest sense.

• Upvote 2

Peter Taylor used to live in the next village to me and we regularly passed,going in opposite directions. He had a top of the range Ford, if i remember correctly. What i do remember though is his facial expression, always very grim indeed.