#24. I wonder if that was one of the 'comfort' girls that the Japs left behind. lol :laugh:

#3 plantfit. Dali is an acquired taste, but I like quite a bit of his work. Mrs Chulla and me went to St Petersburg in Florida to visit the Dali gallery there. They have 65 of his paintings.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am almost welling up after reading the appreciative remarks about dad's talent. He came from an era when there were lots of people like him, and who people never really acknowledged. He was just an

I was recently reading an old thread about a lady who sold the Evening Post in the Square, and was also a talented artist. Fynger, in his post No.#31 in the thread said that she used to paint Disney c

In Canada in 1937, the Dionne quintuplets were born. A big sensation at the time. Dad did sepia tone sketches of all five of them, of which the one below show two of the babies.   He was a signwrite

I have mentioned before that dad used to colour photographs. For this he used a book of tints, which I still have. This book went with him to India and was used for colouring photos that mam sent out to him, and also for other things. Below is a Christmas card that dad produced for one of the officers, who kindly let me have it after dad had died. I see great sentimentality in this card, sent to a man's wife thousands of miles away during the war. There was no leave from India, they were there for three years.

5ee7d948-77bf-4f93-a327-0dd1735d7321_zps
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I have a silver Sherwood Foresters "sweet heart" my father gave my mother in about 1947

My father died in 1992 & my mother gave me the badge in 2013 it is greatly treasured & I always have it on display.

Seeing those village names [#23], reminded me of when we first got married and bought a bungalow in Langar. We didn't have a house number to start with, it was the first one built on the street. So we decided to name the house, and dad came up with Trimulgherry, one of the villages he went through in India. I can't tell you how many ways it was miss-spelled in mail to us!

Here are a couple of photos that dad coloured. He is in India, and mam and me are probably at Jerome's studio.

Just look at me then and at my avatar now - see any difference!

If anyone is interested I will post lots of photos of his signwriting on lorries and vans in the 1960s. Some are of firms that no longer exist. I would put them on a new thread called Commercial Vehicles, and hope that it will sponsor others with such an interest to contribute. Old lorries and vans have a fascination like old railway engines.

307a6d35-ec7d-4866-be34-8a2de8f3b6ee_zps

• Upvote 6

I remember very well the pictures that was in the old railway carrieges set above the seating, I wonder what happened to them/

The Minnie and Mickey characters were used for a First Birthday card painted by dad for our daughter. This is a stick-on-the-wall birthday card - it is 5 feet 6 inches long and 3 feet high. The two characters were cut as stencils, so they could be reproduced any number of times. Each character required a few stencils to complete the image. More stencil work will follow.

The other image shows a puzzle that dad made for our daughter. It comes to pieces and is a little tricky to assemble. Note Pluto's head in the pattern.

2c82bcc5-bb99-4583-89fc-6db478385549_zps

7f770d04-ae54-496a-93f9-81a6184c24a6_zps

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Before dad cut stencils he drew the figures as plain outline and them transferred them on to stencil card. The three Disney characters below are two of Pluto, and Clarabelle Cow.

If anyone would like copies of these to copy/paint or whatever, then PM me with your email address.

456f4d10-1731-480b-9206-4f3be838da6f_zps

ffebc92f-342c-4a27-b3f5-a43b6a035bef_zps

7114602d-3a75-4f08-938b-f82f54934aab_zps

• Upvote 1

Three examples (I have more)of dad's stencil work. The first is the only actual example of his stencilling. It is a cover that he made for our daughter's stamp album. The art of cutting stencils lies in having the tie-bars forming part of the design. They should not be stuck anywhere just to hold it all together. In this example dad has used wavy lines passing through the lettering as his tie-bars. Again, as with signwriting, a certain amount of flair is required to enable an artistic presentation.

The second image is of a set of stencils that he cut, having copied them from a pre-war book instructing how to cut and use stencils. These were stencilled as a freeze around katyjay's bedroom when she was little. The double lines are actually shadows when photographed - the stencils would not lie flat.

The last image is of an art deco design. Dad was into art deco, both in his furniture carpentry and in wall decoration. Don't know which way this one is supposed to be shown.

2d5b8330-df6f-402d-8f6a-d73c8a3ac5d8_zps

1625529a-92dc-429b-88a9-f6e0c9051e64_zps

4beb409d-d88c-4528-9bb1-b35d25ce0536_zps

And that's about it. If anymore of dad's artistic endeavours come to light I will post them. Thank you for your kind comments about dad, his work and his talent. katyjay and I are very grateful for them, and for being able to let others see his work.

• Upvote 5

Chulla,

Thankyou for sharing the above samples of your Dads Talent, and it's great that you have had this opportunity to show us, instead of all of his past work just being tucked away in a drawer. Keep them coming.

• Upvote 1

As well as the frieze shown that went around the middle of my bedroom, I'm pretty sure I had large dogs stenciled around the bottom of the room. The wallpaper on the top half of the room was nursery rhymes, I do remember that for sure.

Yes! That's the one, I was going to say it looked like a Great Dane, running, then thought better of it in case my memory was playing tricks. Wonderful to see that stencil again.

• 2 weeks later...

To end this thread about my father's work, here are the two silver trophies that he won in the National Painter and Decorators' Joint Education Committee signwriting competitions in 1932 and 1933. The other picture show his Diplomas of Merit, National and Nottingham Branch awards, and School of Art certificates.

DSCN1061_zpsirplktbo.jpg

DSCN1063_zpskxj14nu8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 years later...

Three years ago I posted examples of dad's signwriting and artistic endeavours. I thought  had shown them all but the post about where were you born reminded me that I have the birthday poster (not birthday card) that dad did for our daughter's first birthday. Found it in the loft. It's size is 63 inches by 36 inches.

DSCN1505.jpg

• Like 5