Backing Up Data Onto CD's.

Sigh of relief, my last upgrade with Nero was a few years back, it was Nero9. Well I was starting to get organised to rebuild my site before I selected a host, and a lot of my files were saved on CD's.

I now run Windows 7 on this machine, and added Nero9, oh dear, my backup CD's showed as empty pieces of plastic with just the format data. So I downloaded some free software and the CD's showed zero bytes.... PANIC!!!

I know full well the CD's were "burned" with the data as I check everything when backing up to make sure it's all there.

I eventually found out the Nero9 is not compatible with Win7 OS. Some say they have had no problems, but I certainly did.

My spare machine runs XP, so I loaded Nero9 onto it, few it a backed up disk, and everything is there.

So anyone still using Nero to "burn" CD's/DVD's, it's not compatible with Win 7, not sure, but I think it's working with Vista.

Had quite a few issues with Win7 and older software including printer drivers etc. Constant game of catch up. I had also upgraded to a 64bit version of Win7. This created additional issues. No love of M$oft here, John.

We bought 32 and 64 bit versions Dave, but after finding out so much software has issues with 64 bit, I loaded 32 bit in. I like 7, have had it over a year now.

From what I understand, there is some software available for 7, that allows you to run most 95/98/2000/XP and Vista softwares.

I have 8 gigs of ram on this machine, but 32 bit only recognizes 4 gigs, 64 runs the full 8 gigs, it's a pity software has issues with 64, or I'd have gone to it.

Well at least I can download my data onto my older XP machine.

Some people are running 9 in 7 with few problems, but it's not compatible Catfan, I carried out a search to see if there was someway around it, and found on a site where someone was having the same problems as me, in that it wouldn't recognise the data on the CD's I'd backed up on this machine when I was running XP.

Couple of the programmers said Nero stopped servicing 9 after they had upgraded a few times and the last OS it was compatible with was Vista.

I even checked Nero's site out and looked through their FAQ area, yep, no more backup for 9 after Vista.

No doubt now I know for sure it's a compatibilty problem, I could well find some add ons that will allow it to read my backed up data on the CD's. Nero doesn't recommend running 9 in Win7 or higher.

Have you tried to run a backed up CD from when you had XP and see if you can read the data??? I have at least a dozen CD's of backed up data from Win 2000 and XP that I cannot read with this machine, they come up with a screen saying my disks are in Mt Rainier format etc etc.

The freeby software I downloaded to try and read the disks say 0Mb of data on them..

I was running Nero 9.1.4 Ultra Edition on a Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 32 bit, absolutely no problem at all.

I have just checked an old data CD on this machine what I burned in Oct 2011, working fine with Windows 8.1 64 bit & Nero 11.

Did you download & run the "Nero Cleaning Tool" ? this is reccomended by Nero.

• Like 1

You have a later edition than mine Catfan, mines just straight 9, and no, not even heard of "Nero Cleaning Tool" But I'll have a look around for it and give it a try.

I had 5 on my old XP and it also refuses to read backed up data CD's, but as soon as I loaded 9 into it, no more problems on XP.

The text editor, (web page builder) doesn't work on this machine, but works perfectly on the XP machine. I do have a copy of Dreamweaver 8, but that is a very involved page builder, before I use that I need to play around with it for a few hours.

I backed data up over two years back using Nero, so probably did, I have problems remembering what I did this morning, let alone two or more years back...LOL

• Upvote 2

If you have written you're files to a cd then you should be able to read them in any Windows OS assuming the CD's have been finalised. I suspect you have done a backup using some backup process that is unique to Nero rather than just written some files to cd and will need a comparable version of Nero to access the backups. You should always make several copies of any backup and not rely on one copy. Thumb drives are now quite cheap and external hard drives won't break the bank. I would make copies of you're date on a couple of different media while you can still access it. Just copy the files accross to the external drives rather than use Nero backup.

I use a 1tb external hard drive as secondary back up, and with very important data, at least 2 cd's.

I've been backing data up since Win95 days, I had to extract data from a load of 3.5 floppies last year that I'd forgotten about.

• 4 years later...

You've missed one !

• Like 1

Music sounds fine to me ! Most people getting on a bit suffer some degree of hearing loss I'm told so makes not a blind bit of difference to me either way, I can still hear "Music" so that's fine by me.

Loads of films worth keeping, there are some great classic films available, only last week I watched "Mary Poppins Returns"  :shout:

• Like 1

I run two PC's here, both assembled by myself, together with the wife's office PC, been trying to sort out her old office PC, narrowed the problem to hardware, both HD's are OK, and the DVD I tested on my computer yesterday,changed the CPU out and still have the same problem, will not boot up, stops at "windows loading" No, not a set up problem either. I'm suspecting a voltage problem caused by an electrolytic capacitor going out in either the power supply, or the mother board.

24 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Likewise youth..the TV license is not being renewed this year.

Not had one for fifteen years, apart from the ads all the time a lot of program content is crap anyway. I wouldn't watch broadcast TV if it was free !

41 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

problem, will not boot up, stops at "windows loading

Can you boot from the install disk or into safe mode?

Try something like this before changing PSU:            https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boladge-Detection-Display-Computer-Supply/dp/B073M2FFJ4/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZZAS0AYE33PKEN9EB3VG

It's very rare for caps to pop on a modern setup..

No, it won't boot up in safe mode, locks up before it's loaded all the files in. I won't change the power supply, just re cap it.

I'm going to pull the PS today and test each of the caps, although none show signs of failure, ie popped tops, they could have dried out and altered capacitance, that will show up on my cap tester.

Actually it's very common for electrolytic caps to fail, it's the single most common component to fail in all electronic equipment. Problem with electrolytics is their lifespan, expensive ones have a life of 10,000 hours, cheaper grades 1000 to 2000 hours. Heat is their biggest enemy, I use 105 degree replacement caps in anything I re cap, cost a little more, but have a longer lifespan.

Computer manufacturers have substituted ceramics in many circuits they used to use electrolytics in, but electrolytics in, but still have to use them in other circuits until someone invents something better.

You surprise me Ayeup. In many years of titting about with electronics I've had blown caps be responsible for failures only rarely.

All I can say, is you've been lucky, my wife's expensive sewing M/C blew a couple of caps, my FT 736 P/S is dead, needs recapping, in the process of re capping a Tektronics 300Mhz oscilloscope, I have a couple of Heathkit multimeters to recap.

Repaired one computer P/S that had a popped Elec Cap, repaired two flat screen monitors, caps blown.

TV's DVD's in fact any Chinese electronics are prone to cap failures after a year!!  I buy Nichicon, Japanese caps, higher shelf and use life.

I'd be tempted to question the quality of the mains supply though I have to agree Chinese electricals do leave a lot to be desired