Backing Up Data Onto CD's.

Mains supplies in western countries are pretty stable, plus or minus ten percent on voltage and 100% on frequency.

If you ever acquire old valve gear DON'T power it up until you have recapped it, could cost you a transformer or rectifier valve if the filter cap is shot, and those valves are not cheap these days!!! I had one light up on me, totally dead .

I'm lucky, I got all my BIL's vacuum tubes at a good price when he sold his Radio and TV business off, so I have a good stock of new and good used pulls in my workshop.

There's a Canadian Ham who is also an electronics tech, he has his own Youtube channel, some very good tips from a pro on there, he overhauls old tube gear and makes a video of it.

The comp P/S tester, I checked it out on US Amazon, half UK price, so went ahead and ordered one, could prove useful.

I'm pretty sure 7 will be my last MS OS, Linux is looking better and better, plus, you rarely have to bother about virus problems, the hackers tend to write malicious script for MS software usually, even Mac has not been plagued by malicious software scripts.

I'd have to down load "plugins" for some of my software, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Been through all the early problems with 95,98, 2000, the dreaded "blue screens", the slow boot ups of 2000 and XP. Never bought Vista due to all the problems it had, but 7 has been the best and most stable OS that MS wrote and marketed.

Agree with you on Win 7.  It works well with my video editing software so I shall keep using it for the time being.  I never connect that machine to the internet anyway.  Don't need the constant space wasting spyware updates anyway.

This machine is the only one I use on the internet, my other machine will be used for transferring Vinyl to digital and burning movies to DVD's.

I purchased an external HD docking system that makes backing up easier, I have several older large HD's ide and a couple of large SATA types, nothing like having plenty of storage.

This machine has a one terrabite HD and a 500Gig slave HD, that way I don't overfill the main HD, yeah, one Tb hard drive is EASY to fill with movies!!!! I was getting warnings regularly, so transferred the movies to an external drive.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

plus or minus ten percent on voltage and 100% on frequency.

10% up, 5% down and 1% freq, then there are limits on harmonics and THD which can blow a cap. In the UK with a large LV network acting like a damper it's not such a problem. Don't know enough of the US system to comment

It's mandated 10% +or- over here, frequency is rock solid on 60Hz all the time. Our biggest problem is severe thunderstorms and lines being hit, but the utility grounds the neutral every pole to provide a low impedance path to earth for fault and lightning.

Being rural I don't think we get any harmonics, there's only one industrial plant on our lines, and that's a sawmill, seven miles away approx.

When I have been on my HF ham rig, the floor noise is none existent., I can turn my RF and audio gain to max with no signal, the only noise is processor noise which goes down to almost zero when I turn both gains down.

4 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I find about an hour of HD video runs to approx 12 gig.  As you say, it soon adds up.  I've got two 1TB drives in that macine so plenty of room for my amateur videos.

DVDs =  4.7gb

Dual layer DVDs =  8.5gb.

Blu-ray = 25 or 50gb.

• Like 1

Got me thinking Catfan.. modern streaming width should be able to handle 24/96 and 192 ..I'll look into it.. can't tell much difference myself to be fair

..my hearing aids good though.. 2 Grand.. so it should be!

Nero 7 had a least one unique file extension..after receiving a disk image I found I had to use a  third party software to install.

On 3/28/2019 at 11:04 AM, Ayupmeducks said:

I run two PC's here, both assembled by myself, together with the wife's office PC, been trying to sort out her old office PC, narrowed the problem to hardware, both HD's are OK, and the DVD I tested on my computer yesterday,changed the CPU out and still have the same problem, will not boot up, stops at "windows loading" No, not a set up problem either. I'm suspecting a voltage problem caused by an electrolytic capacitor going out in either the power supply, or the mother board.

My wife had exactly the same problem with her PC & I suspected the power supply. Being an external PS it was simple to swap with mine which is exactly the same setup. When I unplugged her PS I noticed the connection was not as good as it could be, anyway swapped with mine & both PCs working fine.

• Like 1