This subject may well have been already discussed in the annals. If so, I apologise.

A letter appeared in the Telegraph today discussing H.P. brown sauce which was not as thought launched by H.P. in 1903 but by Frederick Gibson Garton, a pickle manufacturer in the 1890s who sold it in his shop in Sandon St. New Basford. On hearing that the sauce was popular in Parliament, he registered the name H.P. Sauce in 1895 but sold the recipe to settle his debts to a firm in Birmingham. Today it is made in the Netherlands and it looks as though it may disappear from our shop shelves.

Hope it doesn't disappear, just bought some today but better stock up, love it in bacon sandwiches, yum!

Oh yes, a bacon butties just not the same without HP.

Why is it in danger, not another EU regulation?

Well never mind, cos everything goes with HP sauce !!!

IF IT GOES IT GOES,..................cos everything goes with HP SAUCE..................get it?

• Upvote 1

Yes if you like 'bubble'.................but i was refering to their advertising jingle which went..............everything goes with HP sauce' lol.

Oh My Goodness, Please don't take away my HP Fruity Sauce. I can't live with out my 'HP Fruity Sauce'. I had Bubble and Squeek tonight for tea. I can't imagine eating it without my HP Fruity Sauce. I'm with Lizzie. Tomorrow I stock up big time.

Only the Fruity variety for me though!

• Upvote 2

Dunno about it disappearing - you can get it in many supermarkets over here these days (along with Marmite)!

Nooooooooooo! Say it int so. I have some in my cupboard now, but will keep up with the story and if it's going to disappear, will get stocked up next April when over there. [unless it goes before then, then I'm screwed!]

• Upvote 2

OK in the suitcase, no good in the carry-on. I once had a small tin of mushy peas taken off me, which I still laugh about. Honestly, like I am going to blow up the bloody plane with a tin of peas. [before anyone says anything, I know they can be 'explosive' to one's innards]

• Upvote 1

I think the threat of it disappearing originated when production was moved to Holland (several years ago I believe). It hasn't gone yet, so my guess is this is just a bump of the old fear-mongering from a few years back.

Heck, even Bovril returned to their original recipe!

Don't like the skwudgie bottles myself. I only buy it in glass ones. Can only get it in glass bottles in B&M - unless you can tell me of somewhere else!

A bit more about the letter to the Telegraph and maybe a bit fuller info . Brian Binns posted this on the Nottsgen family history message board , so am assuming the letter Tomlinson saw was by him .

" There was an article in the Daily Telegraph on Monday about the decline in

sales of brown sauce, which went on to say that HP sauce was launched in

I wrote a letter to the Telegraph pointing out that HP sauce was developed

by a Nottingham grocer, Frederick Gibson Garton in the 1890s and sold from

his shop in Sandon Street, New Basford. Indeed his occupation on the 1891

census is a "PIckle Manufacturer" rather than a Grocer. It was he that

registered the name HP sauce in 1895, after hearing that is was popular in

the dining rooms of the Houses of Parliament

However he was not perhaps the best of businessmen, and he had an

outstanding debt to The Midland Vinegar Company which he couldn't settle so

they agreed to take the HP sauce recipe in part payment. From then on It

was made in Aston, Birmingham, and the company eventually changed its name

to The HP Sauce Co.

I checked the paper on Tuesday but my letter had not been published and I

resigned myself to the fact that they don't usually publish letters which

highlight reporting inaccuracies.

But I was just now looking through the "letters to the editor" column and

belatedly my letter has been published, albeit somewhat edited.

Incidentally, Fred Garton moved premises to 2 Musters Road, West Bridgford

at the turn of the century and this shop, albeit not a grocers, is still there".

• Upvote 1

My wife loves the stuff, HP that is ! I will occasionally have a little on an egg sandwich.

As for anything else I like to taste the food not the sauce, but that's just me. It's available in oz everywhere now.

At a push I don't mind the Branston Rich and Fruity Sauce. It is about half the price of HP.

everything has to be FRUITY WITH YOU DON'T IT 'CARNIE'

• Upvote 1