Hi, I wonder if anyone has a photograph of Giltbrook Hall in Giltbrook that used to be roughly where Screwfix is now. People have recollections of it but nobody has seen a photo of it. Think it was demolished 70/80 years ago? Or if anyone has any information on it. Thanks

Giltbrook House is still there I think. It is nearer the Almshouses than Screwfix. I will stand corrected if I am wrong though!

My wife was born in Giltbrook and can't remember the house from the picture, not on Nottingham Rd. That's be fifty-oddd years ago. She remembers the building which is currently a care home ( is that the 'Almshouse's? )

Giltbrook House is the Care home, may father in law ended his days there in 2009. (They were lovely and really looked after him)

I've no idea what is in the area now since ikea and Decathlon, I've not been back but I always assumed the hall would've been between Bonser and Permaquip as a post remained around 4 ft high. I was never sure if that was for the hall or the tannery.

My only other thought was Dr Towles grand house at the back of his surgery in the days of sitting patiently and waiting your turn, none of this craziness these days. I liked Dr Towle.

The Almshouses as I recall were in a crescent shape (ish), on the left heading from Kimberley to Eastwood, opposite the terrace where poor Suzanne Edwards was murdered. The terrace was just before the New White Bull car park.

• Upvote 1

I've no idea what is in the area now since ikea and Decathlon, I've not been back but I always assumed the hall would've been between Bonser and Permaquip as a post remained around 4 ft high. I was never sure if that was for the hall or the tannery.

My only other thought was Dr Towles grand house at the back of his surgery in the days of sitting patiently and waiting your turn, none of this craziness these days. I liked Dr Towle.

Yes I think there is a post there still to mark 'the spot'. I'll have a look next time I go past.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your replies. I have a copy of the old photo of Giltbrook House that poohbear gave which is now Giltbrook Nursing Home and visited it this week to photograph it. The stone pillar that stands at the side of the road near Screwfix is the only remains of the entrance to Giltbrook Hall. Some members of our facebook group have recollections of the Hall long since demolished but we are having no luck with a photo.

• Upvote 1

Yes The 'house' is still there...it is the Carehome......the stone pillar that is on the roadside is supposed to be one of its old gate posts....why it was kept and put there i dont know.

In 1876 The Hall was occupied by John Bayley Esq who owned the local leather works (Cliff Tons map) By the 1900s Thomas Bayley was in possession. The hall must have been very low in importance as you will see in the 1885 directory...it doesn't even get a mention.Giltbrook is rarely mentioned and any entries usually come under Greasley.

15gat91.jpg

• Upvote 2

I think people are confusing two places, Giltbrook House which was dr towels home and went on to become a nursing home, that's stood back off the rd on the left before Baker Road is on the right.

As for Giltbrook Hall, that's the confusion, there is/was a post between bonser and permaquip BUT to confuse matters further, heading through Giltbrook, heading as if to hilltop, Newthorpe common is a turning on the left and and you turn in, there are 6ft plus posts with 'balls' on top. The buildings within there look 1980's but must've been something grand at one point, seems too far to be this place though.

Such a shame these grand houses were destroyed. I recall Mr Grundy, Kimberley Comp in my local history class telling us of the days of fires from Watnall hall as they burnt all her interior wood as woodworm had destroyed all the beautiful Oak panelling.the house itself was then destroyed. Then many were demolished in the Great Depression.

Gena

Yes The 'house' is still there...it is the Carehome......the stone pillar that is on the roadside is supposed to be one of its old gate posts....why it was kept and put there i dont know.

Too much hassle to move nowadays but at the time, maybe just to baffle us folk many years later, but it's not a very grand post compared to the ones on the corner of Newthorpe common.

I think people are confusing two places, Giltbrook House which was dr towels home and went on to become a nursing home, that's stood back off the rd on the left before Baker Road is on the right.

As for Giltbrook Hall, that's the confusion, there is/was a post between bonser and permaquip BUT to confuse matters further, heading through Giltbrook, heading as if to hilltop, Newthorpe common is a turning on the left and and you turn in, there are 6ft plus posts with 'balls' on top. The buildings within there look 1980's but must've been something grand at one point, seems too far to be this place though.

Such a shame these grand houses were destroyed. I recall Mr Grundy, Kimberley Comp in my local history class telling us of the days of fires from Watnall hall as they burnt all her interior wood as woodworm had destroyed all the beautiful Oak panelling.the house itself was then destroyed. Then many were demolished in the Great Depression.

Gena

Newthorpe Common is Eastwood - unless you prefer to think it is Newthorpe! I would have thought Giltbrook Hall would have been at Giltbrook :)

BUT to confuse matters further, heading through Giltbrook, heading as if to hilltop, Newthorpe common is a turning on the left and and you turn in, there are 6ft plus posts with 'balls' on top. The buildings within there look 1980's but must've been something grand at one point, seems too far to be this place though.

Bet you can buy them at B & Q for a few quid...........The driveway leads to a 1960s bungalow, not the house on the right which looks like a farmhouse from around 1900-ish.

balls.jpg

Yes the stone pillar near Screwfix is all that remains of the entrance to Giltbrook Hall that stood further back. I have been told about the layout of the pillars and the entrance to the Hall there but there are no photos to be found. I have tried Eastwood Library and Kimberley and my next point of call will be Nottingham Library. Thanks pooh bear for the info on the residents of the Hall, will look into it further.

• 5 years later...
On 1/10/2015 at 9:37 PM, notty ash said:

Early OS maps only seems to show a Giltbrook House - no sign of a Giltbrook Hall at all, as far as I can see. Is it possible they are one and the same place?

Absolutely not the same place. As it's already been said, Giltbrook house is/was a nursing home but it used to belong to Doctor Towle who had his surgery in front of it. Someone has posted an aerial view of the old folks home. I know someone who used to work there.

Giltbrook Hall was just after the Bonser forklift factory and belonged to the same chap who owned the tannery. It's all long gone but don't be mistaken with the old Giltbrook Doctor and his house.

(Apologies, didn't realise the topic was SO old)

• Like 1