• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

On Coventry Rd, between Hempshill Lane an 'Lambley', or 'Vere' St, is where my cousin Pete lived. They had a little greengrocers on the corner, and they still occupied the old bakehouse next door. Opposite them was the abandoned 'Black Horse' pub. Their shop would be under the 'St' of Vere St on the above map.

Col

Went ' home' last week and in Bulwell was given Royal treatment by Mr and Mrs Catfan, as the pints flowed the craic was mighty!!- took me back to the late 70's and early 80's.Benjamin was right a while back " the people maketh the place".

Bulwell is attracting more upmarket clientel these days,.....had a good conversation in Wetherspoons regarding the aftermath of Tito's Yugoslavia,followed by one on Quality 'Shirts' and where to buy them in Nottingham,.........only spoilt by some woman 'Effing and blinding at her husband who had apparantly been unfaithful recently........which i did'nt need to know......lol.

• Upvote 6

Bulwell is attracting more upmarket clientel these days,.....had a good conversation in Wetherspoons regarding the aftermath of Tito's Yugoslavia.only spoilt by some woman 'Effing and blinding at her husband who had apparantly been unfaithful recently........which i did'nt need to know......lol.

Unfaithful, you mean he's been looking for work !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

My Cousins Father was the eldest of his siblings and asking my Cousin where in Bulwell his Dad was born in 1920 he didn't know. But his Dads earliest memories as a youngster were living at 'Cabbage Alley'. This is known to us as Holborn Place. Speaking to both my Mum and employer - both from Bulwell and aged 70+, neither had heard of this nickname. I can only presume it had died out by the 1940s. Wonder as to its origin.....

Last May we had the chance of 2 free weeks in a friends Condo in Florida.Wife said "no way' please any where but not Florida.So she went to see the kids in Northern California for 2 weeks and got a good deal on a flight to the UK and spend a few days in the Bulwell and had a great time.Then on a business trip to the UK in July spent a few days in Nottingham and took the tram to Bulwell for the the day to attend the Bulwell Historic Photo Lecture by Paul Turton at the new Library.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Some poor devils regularly came out with scuffed knuckles, broken noses, black eyes and slashed faces....wonderful eh?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1