• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

Now your'e talking Doctors, we joined Dr. Bartram's practice in 1965 on what is now the bus station, sliding along a hard wooden form until it was your turn. We've stayed with his successors through different premises and numerous doctors, how times have changed! Now it's the 8 am phone lottery to get an appointment which can take some time as the same receptionists are dealing with the queue waiting at the doors for the same reason!

During my childhood, Dr Halley and Dr McGrath had a practice on the ground floor of a house on Alfreton Road, just beyond its junction with Grundy Street. My mother joined the practice after Dr Kelly, the senior partner in the practice, attended her after my birth in the early hours of 30 November 1957. Her own doctor wasn't available and Kelly was on call. He turned up wearing a dinner jacket and black tie, having been to a party the night before. I think he'd also had a drink or three but he sorted out my mum, who needed stitches, and caused some hilarity by not being able to stand up after completing the sutures, due to his lumbago!

Halley chain smoked and faithfully asked me to cough every November when I was trotted down to see him with bronchitis. Didn't have much choice but to cough! Couldn't even see him for smoke! He was always jolly, though, unlike McGrath who was more serious. Both liked their whisky.

I knew they had a practice in Bulwell because one of my friends at Manning lived on Coventry Road and recalled Halley always asking her mother if she could spare tot of whisky when he made a house call! Cheek!

I don't remember Kelly but I do recall the other two. There was also a Dr Young. A lady GP in her 50s with a strong Scottish accent. She went everywhere with a little West Highland terrier. It sat at her feet in the surgery and on the bed during home visits! I liked her but found her difficult to understand.

McGrath signed my grandfather's death certificate in August 1965.

Those were the days of no appointments. You just turned up and waited your turn among a room full of smokers! Never be allowed today.

The house was either 402 or 404 Alfreton Road and is still standing today. Let into flats now but, back in the 60s, the surgery was on the ground floor while my fellow Berridge pupil, Lynn Bartles and her family occupied the upper floors.

• Upvote 1

I have just finished reading my book called Bill of Bulwell by Bill Cross,it's about his life as he remembers from returning soldiers of the first world war and miners struggling to earn a crust when he were a kid  to his time during world war 2 and himself going down the mines, a great read and loads of memories of Bulwell and Highbury vale, I got my copy off ebay for about 3 quid,best 3 quid I've spent in a long time

Rog

• Like 1

Here's a thought. Katyjay recently travelled 5000 miles to visit England. Did she head for London to the see the sights - no. Did she head north to see the Lake District in all its autumn splendour - no. Did she roam the Scottish Highlands with its mountains and lochs - no. For her it had to be Bulwell - it's got everything that the others don't have.The gel has impeccable taste.

• Like 5

Chulla and Ben plus Mrs Ben.........had nice chat in Wethers this very morning.......good to see you Dave.......Mrs did shout ta ra don't think you heard her,

Just to add to what katy said ''what more could you want''.............even Tesco are good in Bulwell........mended my glasses this morning for Nowt,

Spent a very pleasant half hour in Wetherspoons sun-drenched smoking lounge this morning with Ben and Donna. Whilst inside having a coffee I saw something that will, I hope, make Catfan feel a little better. A family of five finished their breakfast and left. No sooner they had then a young lady cleared the table and wiped it clean. I'm wondering is Bulwell 'spoons management is reading Nottstalgia.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On Thursday evening (November 2nd - two days time) at Bulwell Wetherspoons, 7.30 start, there is poetry reading by us amateurs. I will be reciting some of mine. Doubt I'll see any of you, but you never know. 

• Upvote 1

We are given five minutes to recite (one or more poems). If there is time after the readers have all done theirs then some can go again. I have in mind:

Village sunday

Farmyard fur and feathers

A ride on a number 7 bus. (it used to go from Bulwell market to Nottingham)

If I get a second go then will give them The gallop to the grave.

After taking part on the first poetry night earlier this year, I am looking forward to it.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

The poetry evening went very well - there were thirty attendees of which 10 or 11 recited. I gave them the three above poems, and left at the interval, so did not have a second go. This was the third such meeting at the Bulwell 'spoons. Wetherspoons are very pleased with the number of people the event is attracting and have given permission for future poetry evenings on the first Thursday in the month. Forthcoming dates in 2018 are 1 Feb, 1 Mar, 5 Apr, 3 May, 7 Jun.

• Like 4

Bulwell is absolutely rife with wheelchairs, mobility scooters, various massive buggies and imbecile cyclists doing bleddy wheelies. 

Barely any room for pedestrians !

1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

Bulwell is absolutely rife with wheelchairs, mobility scooters, various massive buggies and imbecile cyclists doing bleddy wheelies. 

Barely any room for pedestrians !

From what I read on Nottstalgia it's also rife with Nottstalgians going for a drink / meal / walk / etc.

Combining the two conjures up images of Benjamin doing a wheelie to Wetherspoons.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Rog, The only mornings I can make Bulwell 'spoon next week are Tuesday and Thursday. Mon, Wed and Fri I have hospital appointments.

(Couldn't PM you with this info as it said that you were not receiving messages)

Er, KJ, he'd have a job turning the 'pedals' by hand. Pedals are for feet. Those old invalid mobility chairs had cranked handles that powered a chain that drove the single front wheel. They eventually disappeared along with under-arm crutches and built-up boots for people with a short leg.

Chulla, I couldn't think of another word for my description, owd age and all that, but could picture what the rider was doing to propel himself.