I think I've said before that I recall an 'Owd Chap' who was most probably a WW1 veteran and used to ride a 3 wheeler which was hand propelled.  Often to be seen in the area outside the Horse and Jockey in the Market Place, late 50s, along with other old chaps with their 'Double Albert' watch chain, seal and pocket watch.  Different world.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

The treatment our crippled soldiers some times receive is quite apalling.

A soldier from Newark who lost a leg in Afganistan was refused a blue badge for his car by Newark & Sherwood council because he did.nt fit "the criteria" in true squaddie style the soldier.s reply was. Perhaps they think I might grow a new leg ! 

All true.

• Like 1

And now it's in the news that Nottingham university if spending thousands of pounds trying to find out why "drivers" of these mobility scooters are having accidents with a view of providing "drivers" of these things a better understanding of how to avoid such accidents, give me bloody strength

Rog

• Like 2

Thing is.. anybody with the 'wherewithall', can get a 'Mobility Scooter' and go charging about on it.  Whilst they must be a Godsend for the genuinely needy, I can't help feeling that there are more than a few people using them who are just lazy sods.  I've seen the way some people get on and off of them..  I wish I could move that fast...

I know that there are many conditions which are not obvious, but which restrict people's movement.. I still wonder sometimes.

And whether or not people actually need the machines, some of them really need a bit of training. I used to regularly see them charging about in the town centre of Kirkby, Merseyside.  Like a sort of battery powered Hell's Angels... One in particular used to just charge out into the carriageway of a major dual carriageway.. expecting all motorists to see hm and let him cross a three lane traffic island with absolutely no regard for the 'rules of the road'.

Scary..

• Like 1

Anti social behaviour,nothing less, and the other week they locked a cyclist up for wreckless riding,not defending the cyclist because some of them are a bloody menace to the general public. Yes some of these scooter "drivers" are genuine thats fair enough but them sods who aren't are just plain lazy and false,they do not get my sympathy

Rog

The thing that amazes me is that a vast amount of them are grossly overweight, and always seem to have a fag on. 

I always think 'gerroffit, stop smoking, and get so bleddy much needed exercise '.

Sympathetic sod aren't I ?

Amputees, and suchlike, I've great sympathy with such as ex servicemen, but how many are incapacitated due to a lifestyle of booze, fags, pizzas, ready meals and other assorted junk food ?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, plenty of them round here. A mass of the great unwashed, uneducated, and actually unneeded !

I bet their pit is full of the latest gadgets and home entertainment equipment and other such useless nonsense. Plus possibly a Jap recycled bean can of a car.

Its funny, (well I think so) that the older I've got, I've become far less sympathetic to everyone else, especially the rest of the world. 

I've always been an advocate of euthanasia, at least before I reached 70. However, I've definitely become more of a believer in the survival of the fittest. I definitely feel for ailing NS members as I've said in another topic, but the rest.... 

• Like 1

Although this is under the topic of Bulwell, the last few posts regards mobility scooters is not confined to Bulwell but to the country as a whole, it would appear that this culture of "get what you can out of the state and sod the rest" is encouraged,the rest of you can get back to work

Rog

• Upvote 1

Mobility scooters are not a menace it's the idiots that use them. The road in front of my house is narrow (house built 1860s) just enough for 2 large venicles to pass, every day without fail a bloody idiot comes down middle of road and will move for no one. He says he's got as much right as anyone go down the road  it has got so bad we have contacted council to see if he can be educated on road safety, either that or one of us will knock him of his scooter. Not really.

Just the sort of arrogant response you get from a lot of them Gem, have you spoke to the police about him being a menace on the public highway,causing an obstruction, even anti social behaviour,there must be something that can be done before someone takes the law into their own hands which is no good to anyone

Rog

Its ok Rog wer'e all past knocking people off scooters, we have spoken to our local PSO but he can't always be in the right place.  When we contacted council we gave them a number which was on his scooter! ,  he is plain and simple a nasty foul mouthed old man.   Unfotunately nobody knows who he is but must live near unless he spends his days driving around Gateshead annoying strangers.

4 hours ago, FLY2 said:

I bet their pit is full of the latest gadgets and home entertainment equipment and other such useless nonsense.

I'd sooner be walking on two legs, free and reasonably fit than have that bleeding' lot.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Bulwell was traditionally a decent market town when I married and moved there from Aspley estate.

Two golf courses, a Lido in summer, great countryside and park, nature reserve, pubs and quality

shops like Steggles butchers, Wheels watches, Lukes shoes, Barry Austin, Fords and Woolworths.

I remember the buses from the market to Raleigh, Boots and the pits when decent employment was at

a premium. Unfortunately the powers that be decide to move people from the slum clearance areas to 

the western fringe of the city and pressure mounted on the economic prospects of Bulwell.

Now in 2018 these problems are countrywide, but as they say, what goes around comes around!

...Proud to be a Bulwegian

• Like 4
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

And Brough Superior territory phil.

I rember the Brough factory at Catchem’s Corner on Vernon Rd. The Haydn Rd. factory was part of our factory complex and sadly, in the interest of progress, I was responsible for its demolition to be replaced by a modern industrial unit. I did have the bikers from the owner’s club round for a viewing prior to the demolition. 

1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

Yes..very down to earth people.

I forgot - wasn't springfield hoisery just before the Apollo?

I knew Spingfield Hosiery well. They were clients when I was in the accountancy business and I’ve worked there many times.They had an office building of traditional Bulwell stone with a wide staircase leading to the director’s offices. They had pleasant gardens through which the river Leen flowed.

• Like 1