Commercial vehicles

#15 Limey. The pinstripes you recall were actually called coachlines. They usually ran from the front of a car to the back. They were applied with a steady hand. The long-bristled brush was held near the bristles (perhaps did not have a long handle if brush was always used for this work) loaded with paint and with luck the line could be painted in one movement - the bristles length being used, not just the tip . Mistakes could always be removed with turps on a rag. An adjacent finger would supply the necessary support to keep the hand steady. As with all this kind of work, there was a knack gained with experience - the line had to run true (not always straight) and its thickness had to be constant. There is/was a special tool for this work - a small paint container with a wheel attached that paints the line on the surface. Think this is what was used at the car manufacturers. Later (as on my Allegro Special) the coachline was stuck on.

Another nice-looking piece of signwriting that dad did sometimes, was to paint a circular belt or garter on a lorry door, with the firm's name written upon. Most lorry titles had shadowed letters, which had to be taken into account when spacing the lettering.

• Upvote 1

NewBasfordlad. Agree, the photo is excellent. Wouldn't be better in colour. Note the different placement of the apostrophes. I wonder if the firm was at one time called Sankeys?

I like the signwriting on the BMC I bet the tk was prone to overloading with sideboards that high, what happened to the company