can any body remember mrs Parry the old lady who used to keep the sweet shop on summer street meadows. what lovely old lady she was, she was a bit like the old lady out of the lady killers film, my granddad used to live on that street. Summer street was almost opposite the picture house on arkwright street. was it called the queens

a charlesworth that's right the alley way was almost opposite my granddads house, a few yards down that alleyway was a slaughter house and he used to hang bulls penus ,s from a washing line, there used to be about 6/7 pegged up at any one time, this is no wind up, they were sold to make high class walking sticks .There were also some stables down there, I think it came out at waterway street a few yards from Arkwright st.

• Upvote 1

good photo Clifton, just see arkwrite st. station bridge with oscrofts written across it, incerdently he committed suicide in the late sixties, there was a rumour that he was batting for the other side and it was about to be made public, whether that's true or not is any bodies guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

you talking about this shop. The one directly above the white mini roof. Remember Mrs Parry quite well, and when she got quite angry 'cos we had built a Guy Fawkes bonfire in front of her shop. And when we lit it the heat cracked all her shop windows.

SummersSt.jpg

Alison

One time resident of Summers Steet

Alison hope you.are well, glad your back with your meadows knowledge

Been lurking for a while. As to my Meadows knowledge - it's a bit dated, haven't been back there to any great extent since 1960. 1960 took the Queen's shilling, and now I've spent it I can't go back.

Coming back from the shop, house next to the shop was occupied by the Luptons?, then us the Cooks, then the Tootins. As for the laneway that has been spoken about, it's just visible bottom left of the picture.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a murder in Summer Street must have been in the 60s,also Mr Adcock had a corner shop on there ring a bell with anyone?

Wasn't me. I left in 1960 to join Auntie Betty's Flying Circus (RAF). There was a youngster who drowned in the canal mid '50's by the family name of Priest who lived at 11 Summers St across the street from us.

IIRC there was a newsagents at the bottom of Summers St, on the corner with Waterway St, opposite the off-licence on the corner of Annersley St. And there was radio and telly shop at the top end next to the chippy. Only tourists and visitors went to that chippy. The one on Waterway St gave more chips for your thre'pence.

• Upvote 1

Seem to remember that the chip shop on the corner was called The Snackery ,people that took it over (late 50s) had a cafe on Arkwright street across the road which did set 3 course lunches for office workers mainly,my mum used to work for them and I went there for a couple of years every school lunch time from TB (it may have been the Indian later on)

If the child that drowned was a boy circa 12 then I have written about it(now in the TB school page) but I seem to remember a younger one drowning as well.

We also had ALL our tv,s(seemed like a new one every two years) from Mr Haimes,could that have been his shop or was it lower down near Andy Bones ,as you know time plays tricks,but what a great life I had down the Medders....

P.S. would the Tootins have had a Mick same age as you and I ,moved to Australia..

P.PS. Also sorry for throwing those snowballs at you everytime you left school on your way home in the winter.....

P.PS. Also sorry for throwing those snowballs at you everytime you left school on your way home in the winter.....

That's alright. You always missed.

Haimes did run the radio and TV shop on Summers St, and it was a younger one that drowned in the canal who I knew. He would have been eight or nine. Tootins didn't have any kids when they lived next door to us. Although I had a brother - Mike, who moved with the rest of the family to Oz in 1964 or thereabouts. We were the Cooks - six kids all told. Two of us went to Mundella and an elder sister went to Deering.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

hi mandy 64  sorry I did not reply to your comments right away ,, yes my dad and mam was Edith and bill walker, I   remember uncle Charlie and untie Hilda  loved them both very much, they always treated me right. as you probably know Keith,, Charlie's son passed away some time ago ,, him and me was bought up together ,,we used to go birds nesting and fishing together he was a smashing guy hows your mam , and how are you, were do you live ,is it in the meadows. well it is nice to here from you, take care don

hi mick2me  I gave up  posting articles for some time got fed up with the nit picking that was going off,, but have decided to have another go all the best mate don

• Upvote 1

hi trevorthegasman   yes there was a murder on summer street it was mrs parry,,, she owned the sweet shop,,  some bas------ smash her head in  and robbed her I think they got around £4,,   Mrs Parry was about 84 years old  and could barely walk  she was a smashing old lady  They got the moron,, he was hanged,, Ihope he rots in hell,    I  was about  8 years old when it happened.

• Upvote 1