75th Anniversary of `Battle of Britain'

Fantastic news for me! As one of the few members who remembers the bombing raid on Nottingham and the several air raid warnings over Nottingham,I am in the position of going to Edinburgh to see this wonderful `thank you ' to the men and women of the R A F. I went a few years ago to this event,but this year will be very special. For those of you who have not attended,you must go.Later I will be able to rabbit on about men like my father and my wife`s father who gave the first 6 years of their married life fighting the Nazis and others `to keep Britain free so that 75 years later we can hand over all our freedoms to Germany in the European Union.

PipesAndDrums.jpgThe 2015 Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoowill host a parade of talent from four continents, coming together to celebrate “East Meets West”. This year's Tattoo will run from 7- 29 August with performances on Monday to Friday at 9.00pm and on Saturday at 7.30pm and 10.30pm. There is no performance on Sunday.

The programme will include an exciting appearance by the Royal Air Force, which is set to observe the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain in 2015. Top%20Secret%20%C2%A9The%20Royal%20EdinbSwitzerland's Top Secret Drum Corps will display an unpredictable style and dynamism that has drummed its way into the hearts of Tattoo spectators on four previous occasions.

• Upvote 1

I think you'll find that the special Battle of Britain 75th anniversary airshow at Duxford will be more spectacular. It's being talked about at the moment that every single flying Spitfire, Hurricane, Messerschmidt, Buchon and other associated aircraft such as the newly restored and worlds only flying Blenheim Mk1 will be attending. Knowing some of the groups associated with the flying aircraft at DX, I wouldn't be surprised if aircraft are brought over from North America too.

The last time such an assembly of friend and foe was put together was for the making of the Battle of Britain film back in 1968 at Duxford, but there are probably at least twice as many fighters about these days. I went to the 60th anniversary of the first flight of the Spitfire at Duxford when they managed to get 26 Spitfires on the ground together, and put 20 of them in the air, most spectacular. For the first time there will be at least 5 aircraft that vaguely took part in the original battle, 4 or 5 Spitfires and a combat veteran Hurricane with several actual 'kills' to it's name.

As soon as I know more, I'll let you know.

I took this at DX a few years ago and that was only 10 Spits.

dx9.jpg

• Upvote 2

Curses! I am off back to Australia 4 September.

THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN ANNIVERSARY AIR SHOW, SATURDAY 19 AND SUNDAY 20 SEPTEMBER 2015

The Battle of Britain Anniversary Air Show commemorates the 75th anniversary of this famous aerial battle.

We remember RAF Duxford’s role as home to the first Spitfire squadrons and some of the RAF’s best-known fighter pilots, including Douglas Bader. We honour the men and women who worked tirelessly to ensure those aircraft took to the skies.

Tickets on sale mid-January 2015

My old physics master lost both legs in the Battle of Britain. He carried on flying and used to take a few of us up in his glider from time to time.

Robbie

Of all the coincidences! I was in Turin last week and saw a display about the bombing carried out by the RAF. I could have said to my Italian host 'I know whose dad did that'

My old physics master lost both legs in the Battle of Britain. He carried on flying and used to take a few of us up in his glider from time to time.

Robbie

Of all the coincidences! I was in Turin last week and saw a display about the bombing carried out by the RAF. I could have said to my Italian host 'I know whose dad did that'

That would have gone down like a bomb!

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...