BBC2 Monday 19th 6.30pm Great Railway Journeys

I like "poor old Fred" but he would'nt do anything unless his palm was greased before hand.

I like Portillo as well,completely different characters but entertaining non the less

Rog

• Upvote 1

I'M NOT INTO Trains but Portillo makes them almost interesting,and he seems a genuinly nice bloke.

• Upvote 2

Yes, it's very pleasant light entertainment. About trains yes, but also the places Portillo visits and the people he meets. Plenty of Dibnah on youtube for the train amd steam afficienados.

The chap on the traction engine was a Dibnah clone, Portillo hadn't got a clue what he was doing, clearly didn't want to get his hands, or his jacket, dirty.

Ever driven a traction engine, you end up looking like a Victorian chimney sweep at the best of times, Mr Clueless Smug didn't, funny that!

I didn't like Portillo as a politician but he has moved on since then, like all of us should do.

I am not a train enthusiast but I enjoy watching his programme which is interesting, entertaining and informative.

Forget about the man's appalling dress sense just sit back and enjoy the programme.

• Upvote 4

As a politician Portillo was someone to be despised. Never met him, so have no view on him personally. I have met with Tony Blair on many occasions, all socially and nothing to do with politics, and he was very personable. Politically I hated Blair but in the pub I had no problems with him. I suspect it would be the same way with Portillo.

As for John Major being a cricket fan! He is fanatical about the sport, and will talk to anyone about it. I spoke to him for about 10 minutes at Chester-Le Street as a One Day International was rained off (again) Top bloke. It was entertaining because the Sky sports team were there and Sir Ian Botham was holding court. He does tend to do that. All cameras and stuff were out the front. John Major was in the back bar and wanted nothing to do with the media. We talked about two subjects. Rain was one. In the north east rain has as many words as the eskimos have for snow. The other was real ale. He is a fan of real ale, and I advised him to visit the Shakespeare in Durham city.