Do you remember your father's first car?

A Morris 6

I remember as a young child we used to go on regular trips from London to see relatives in Newcastle in it.

It was black, always smelt of petrol and the leather seats were red and cracked, very uncomfortable on a long journey.

I remember the car sickness and thoughts of are we there yet?

I remember vividly the landmarks, the aerial arrays at Rugby, the service station at Melton Mobray and the obligatory port pie, the huge power station at Ferrybridge, and nearly there, Scotch Corner..

We hated it was my father's pride and joy!

morris6_zps1c2cc620.jpg

Dads first car was a Vauxhall 12, 1938 reg i think, number plate KTO 817, it was only a 4 seater but one year dad decided to tour to Lands End, now there were no motorways in them days, so dad, mum, sister, me, grandma and her brother Stan plus suitcases and no roofrack all piled in and off we set, got to Beeston, where the cinema was and was hit by a motorbike at the crossroads, gave us a flat tyre and ruined the passenger side door, eventually set off again with the door tied with string to the drivers door and thats how we went for two weeks. had many adventures on that trip, i even have the old AA badge that was on the front of the car, eventually it went to the scrap yard, years later, mum stood at side of the road crying her eyes out, got a photo of me dad and the car outside his home in carrington but dont know how to put it on here.

Dad never had one,neither did anyone else on our street,in fact if one came down the street when we were playing football or cricket we threw stones at it.lol.

• Upvote 3

A car? On our street in the Medders, there was only ever two cars. And one, a very old black thing from the war years, I never saw actually move.

No, my dad's transport was an old ladies bike. Known him cycle to work in Bulwell on it. A car, really!

• Upvote 1

I don't remember the make of my dad's car all I can recall is it was black and old.

Many a time we were called out to give him a push. One car my dad had you could see

the road from a hole in the floor, he said it was for when we break down one of us would

have to put our feet down and run. I was always worried it would be me so I never enjoyed

our trips in the car.

• Upvote 2

Remember it well, a Bradford Jowett in light grey, dad was very excited the day before he fetched it and had widened the front gate to allow the car to enter, being a bricklayer he had built two nice new brick pillars either side of the driveway.

Next evening after work he picked up the car, no lessons then or tests just get in and drive ! he came home and while driving into the yard knocked one of the pillars over ! He rebuilt it that night, but lo and behold next morning there was a big crash as this time he knocked the other pillar over reversing out !

Rather than take the chance again he parked on the road for a week or so after rebuilding the pillars again but further apart this time !

He used to use a little parking lamp thing that clipped on the window, clear lamp forward and red lamp rear.

The old Bradford finally died when it froze up one winter after dad forgot to light the little paraffin heater thing he used to hang in the engine bay when frost was expected.

The engine block had a big crack in it !

only bloody done it, only put a photo on Nottstalgia, bloody hell, excuse the language please, but crikey, look at it, bloody hell. wwwwooooowwweeeeeee

• Upvote 3

My dads first car was a black 1957 Ford Prefect TTV 915 - which he bought in 1964. We made many trips to the seaside and on holidays in that car and dad was perpetually washing it or working on the engine! He sold it a couple of years later and bought a Ford Consul - which I hated!

No idea what it was called, but I think it ended with... C'nardly! Like SueB's dads car. It was 'Big and Black' and a hole in the floor. I'm sure it had 'Running Boards on the side. I have vague recollections of us all hanging on the side as he chugged up Hardys Drive!

Sunday mornings while mam cooked dinner, off we would go in the car. All peering out of the back window at dads instructions, looking for bits dropping off! We believed him. It certainly kept us quiet.

• Upvote 3

A 1947 Morris 8 Series E, registration EJU 700.Bought it in 1958 from Dawson's on Shakespeare Street, they were better known for selling motorcycles.

Dad would never spend a penny where a halfpenny would do, and even that hurt, so he did all his own servicing and when the tinworms started to take hold, I reckon that the value of David`s Isopon shares increased dramatically, not to mention Gun Gum and Radweld!!

No - dad never had a car, and never drove. Neither did my mum. Why bother when he had free passes on the railway, and (cheap) buses every few minutes into the late evening. So my earliest experiences of car travel were very occasional taxis to and from the station, when leaving very early or getting back very late. Then from about age 7 my friend's dad in Long Eaton had a car (first an elderly Morris 10 - AAG81, later a Morris 1000 Traveller, 887ATO), and I was sometimes invited to go with them on day excursions. Then my uncle bought a 1936 Ford 8 (DKN252). My aunt made loose covers for the seats (which had seen better days) from old curtains! It was fine, except that the brakes were on the weak side (virtually non-existent). After a couple of years he traded that in for a 1957 ex-rental Ford Anglia 100E (VGU721).

Austin A40, white with a black roof and red seats, reg COP 425, he bought it second hand in 1966, the only way he did this was by taking on a second job.

The car was immaculate and quite contemporay for the time, the only problem was that it could not go more than 65mph. I recall us all going up to Morecambe to visit my uncle, my brother drove and with four of us in the car, it really struggled to get us over the Peak District to join the M6. Once on there, it was impossible to overtake anything, soooo the next time we went was by train.

It didn't last long, the year after (a long story), the old boy had changed jobs and got a company Triumph Toledo, MRC 600 E, my brother gave it the thumbs up when he and I took it for a very high speed run on Western Boulevard, couldn't do that now.

The A40 was sold on for £60 to someone on Firbeck Estate, risky.....................

Don't think this was his first car as my dad was in the building trade and used to have sit-up-and-beg Ford Pop type vans from work . This Ford was a firms car too and the first I remember . Me , very smart with bow tie !

I remember that day , a rare family day out , my sister is holding a bunch of bluebells just picked , wasn't illegal then !

16291087906_6f9acdc84b_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

I am really impressed just how many people can remember the registration numbers of cars they owned or parents owned all those years ago.

I have owned many cars over the years, quite a few being a £50 banger, which never lasted long yet I cannot remember one single reg number.

I can't remember the reg.no. of my current car, which I have owned for over four years

• Upvote 1

Million to one chance here . This photo was in the same folder as my pic above . It's always puzzled us as we don't have a clue who it is cleaning the car in the background or where it is or even who the kid is (though he is a bit like I was). We were a Carlton/ Mapperley family if anyone recognises anything !

16291130326_3344582343_b.jpg

I DON'T REMEMBER owt to do with numbers,mobile ive had 10 yrs don't have clue let alone landline,post code no,car number no chance,bank card no,and it always amazes me that people remember their NI number.

• Upvote 1

Posted this before in another thread but its a good photo. My brothers first car a BSA three wheeler with my mum posing next to it . Must have been in the 50s as I remember him taking me and a pal for a spin in it. We had to get out as it wouldn't get up Mar Hill with all of us in it !

8766182687_3693488b99_b.jpg

• Upvote 4