Do you remember your father's first car?

Caftan, mine was 301 HTV - AJS 16MS 1956 model

(I had a Vepa 150 also 1956 model in 1968 that does not really count)

I bought it from a bloke in West Bridgford in 1970 and it went up and down to London no trouble. Sold it in the mid seventies it was still going strong. Brilliant solid and reliable bike but poor performance by today's standards, but how long do modern bikes last?

I'm not certain this Austin was my father's first ever car (actually it's a van), but it may have been. It's the first one he had in my time anyway. This would have been taken in about 1953 and was at Caythorpe (Lincolnshire). I can't actually remember what colour it was. It must have been not long afterwards when he replaced it with a larger Ford van which he needed for his wet fish round.

Note the home made spotlight and the home made wing mirror (behind my head). Also, just one windscreen wiper. The visible headlight also looks a bit strange.

MalcolmampVan_zpsf2453da9.jpg

Me dad never had a car. He had a BSA Bantam motorbike. 125 cc. about the same size as my lawnmower motor. :-). My first was a Ford Pop. YTV 778. There's a picture of it here somewhere. Think it might be in the "what was your first car" thread

dcb42a52-d626-4e08-89e5-17f19d3dc1de_zps

This was my first motorbike, ended up crashing it into a car on Ilkeston road outside the old cinema, think mum got the rag and bone man to take the remains away whilst i was in hospital

• Upvote 1

1929 Austin 12. Bronze. DLR 228

Cliff Ton you are right on that car being an A70 . I just assumed it was the A40 Somerset . Whatever, I don't femember who had one or had a garage or house like that .

I'm pretty sure my dad's first vehicle was a Commer Cob van, which he ordered from the factory unpainted. He did the paint job himself, coat after coat, rubbing down between each coat. Maroon and cream if I remember rightly. No seats in the back so when I rode in there, I was sitting on the floor. No windows on the rear sides either, so when mam in the front would say, look at that, Id turn my head and see nowt!

• Upvote 1

1939 Austin 8. CDM 74. Flintshire registered. Errr., no I don't actually remember the car but I certainly remember the stories being told about it and where we went in it. I suppose it was in keeping with Ford Street St Marys (St Anns) when we lived there (1957/59) but when we moved to Eastwood in 1959 my Father saw fit to sell it because he thought the area was a bit too posh for a 20 year old rust bucket. After it had gone we realised that there was only us around that had a car at all. The only reason that we had a car was because my Father was capable of doing things! It was replaced with a motor bike and sidecar. Matchless MTO 223. That was replace with a 1953 Mk1 Consul RAU 56. That was replaced with a Mk2 Zephyr 965 KTV - which I learnt to drive in!

As a keen collector of classic cars, well the die cast models I must say what a fantastic collection of photos of early cars and motor bikes shown.

Some of those registration numbers must be worth a fortune today, a few of the cars I have never even seen before. I do hope more photos are going to be added, they are really marvelous to look at. I have the same passion with old buses.

my dad never had a carhe walk for miles sometimes with us and mainly on his our friend george brown children always called him little walking george cause every time they saw him he was walking to or from somewere