Is there a more stupid company than Virgin Media? They have a cable running down our road and for three years now they have inundated me with offers of TV, phone, email, internet services and access to countless crappy films. This time last year I decided to save the bumf that they send me - a total of twenty large packages were sent. It is obvious that they are charging too much for their goods if they have the money to waste on sending this junk mail to everyone who is not signed up with them. You would think that by now they should know that I am not interested, and will never ever have anything to do with them. Nowhere in the leaflets is there a phone number or an email address that you can contact them to tell them to stop. Morons.

• Upvote 1

These outfits are all the same. I get stuff offering super low rates if you sign up. Thing is I've been signed up with them for years. Where are the super low rates for long time good paying customers? I only keep it because the wife wants to watch some stuff. Far as I'm concerned the mindless drivel and outright lies and propaganda ain't worth a dime.

• Upvote 2

I agree with Chulla regarding Virgin. I get very large letters from them, on a regular basis, and I've no intention of ever dealing with them. I'm pleased to see that catfan hasn't had a problem with Virgin but I've heard of people who've had nothing but trouble with them.

If they saved money by not sending out this Junk mail they could drop their prices, maybe top a level that would tempt me back from my current provider. Who is much cheaper than them.

I was with them for years. The costs went up and up. I have found their customer support to be liars.

Be very careful if you decide to make any changes at all, you will extend your contract with them by at least a year. They wont of course tell you that at the time.

Exactly the same with SKY!

I have been with Virgin (previously NTL/Diamond Cable) for a long time now - maybe 15 or 16 years. They went through a very bad period of appalling customer service around 10 years ago, but have since substantially improved and appear to rate amongst the best, if national statistics are anything to go by. A big attraction is the fact that in cable areas they supply both the cable and the services, so there can be no dispute about who is responsible for any problems with either.

They provide a range of different packages. I just have the basic TV package, phone and Internet, which suits me very well as I don't watch TV very much - and even then often on the computer rather than the TV. Their Internet is now very fast on cable - up to 50mb.

To me, if you have a cable down your street then Virgin is a no-brainer - but they will still continue to send you literature through the post inviting you to join.

MPS is often ineffective, as many companies get around the regulations by getting the Post Office to distribute the envelopes without a name or address, to all households

• Upvote 1

I'm not on anything like that but am able to stream TV and download large files.

And I am paying a fraction of Virgin price.

I dont need Sky or Virgin TV because I spent a couple of hundred quid on a Freesat receiver/recorder.

I can pause or record humdreds of quality channels of Freesat TV. I can also go bact to view programs from days ago.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/

Snap been with NTL/Virgin since moving into my present home in August 1999 & have had no complaints & find their charges quite good

I get my T.V., broadband & telephone of them as a package.

We run two computers(one lap top & one tablet) (was three till my wife's son let home in September) so we do get value for our money :)

Loughborough was cabled in 1992 or was it 1994?

• Upvote 1

Had NTL/Virgin for years now and never really had a problem. Just Broadband and and medium TV package. I am about to give up the TV package so will just have Broadband.

• Upvote 1

Signed a new deal recently, where I got free phone calls after 7pm weekdays & all weekend now get free calls 24/7 everyday.

Also £2 a month cheaper.

Threaten to leave & sit back & let em bribe you to stay !!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My e-mail address ends in ntlworld.com so I must be reasonably happy with them.

As to the junk mail, some years ago I was sent to an advertising agency to pick up some proofs for Servowarm central heating (remember them), whilst there I was chatting with a chap who told me how it worked. On a selective postcode mailshot you can expect 4 enquiries for very 100 sent out and you should get a sale for every 6 enquiries.

It was quite interesting to learn how we are all in certain classes A, B, C, Ds denoting average incomes, education and housing etc and each post code was marked up so they have a pretty good idea of the type of person they are sending their mailshot to. This was before the days of mass computerisation so it is probably even more refined now.

• Upvote 1

And don't discount how much information they all get from your internet activities.

Every time you click on something, a digital blip will be relaying that information to somebody somewhere. Everything you browse on Amazon, everything you click in an online catalogue, every search term you enter into Google; it's all being stored on somebody's server.

• Like 1

It's started again! The first of what will no doubt be a plethora of junk mail from Virgin Moron, arrived through my letterbox this morning.

There is no such thing as privacy on the internet. Wife was looking at a couple of store items online the other day then she noticed ads for the same items from different stores. No coincidence! I ran a spyware program and a general scan on her computer but it didn't find anything. Never ceases to amaze me how much personal info folks will post on sites like Facebook. I had an account there for a while but canceled it because of their constant messing around with privacy rules. I will not play their game.

• Upvote 1