Help needed over the right to see your GP

Hi

A tricky one this as I don't want to name names. In 1987 I moved out of Braintree to a very well known, local, picturesque village. I transferred to the local GP which operated at the time from a crowded little practice in the next village, they eventually raised enough funds to build a stunning new Health Centre in our own village. I've been going there for all these years along with the entire family, I have got to know doctors and nurses there on not only a friendly, but on a personal basis. The problem has always been with the main receptionist, she is an objectionable git, everyone agrees on this. We moved back to Braintree 8 years ago, the practice were aware of this but we have been always told it didn't matter, as a family we've been going back there many times, it's never been a problem. A few months ago I had an accident, necessitating stitches in my wrist, I had to go to the Health Centre to have them removed. Interestingly, the ambulance crew that took me to A&E asked me details about my GP, when I told them they said ' Lovely practice, pity about the bitch on the reception, we can't stand going there because of her', well, well, what a surprise.

When I went to have my stitches out she was rude and objectionable and told me I had no right to continue to use that GP. Talking to the nurses they just said 'You know what she's like, take no notice'. I have just received a letter in the post from the bitch saying that I can't use that GP anymore and have to find an alternative in Braintree, really, after 27 years, is that right, can they do this, I think I'm a few hundred yards outside their 'official' collection area, Lizzie and our George have not got this warning through the post, they've just been there for whatever reason, I hardly go there, is this bitch behaving correctly or just being a jobsworth, something my pals over there don't seem to regard as important. She is so objectionable for a start I don't think she should be in such a sensitive role as medical receptionist, you cannot believe how rude this woman is to genuinely ill people, I've stood in astonishment at the way she talks to and treats people, Liz has actually recently threatened her because of her attitude to her when she was genuinely ill, to the applause of the waiting queue. She shouldn't be working in such a capacity, no customer service regard whatsoever, but that doesn't resolve my problem, why should I have to change GP's, it doesn't make sense, only through what she says.

Any suggestions chaps.

You will see now if your Doctor has any balls or not, the ultimate choice is up to him. Doctors can exclude anyone from their practice at any time.

Incidently, earlier this year we changed our Doctor after 35 years because one of his receptionists was like yours, a real arrogant bitch.

Telling her where to stick her arrogance was certainly worth it !

PS, new Doctor much better too !

• Like 1

There are a number of principles involved here.

Firstly there are two catchment areas in play. The first is the GP's general catchment area where there is an expectation of right to register with the practice (assuming their lists aren't full). Unless they have a good reason then they have to accept any patient from that area. As of 2012 all GPs were also asked to register a larger outer catchment where they could (should they wish to) accept patients. From 5th February you can (subject to a willing GP) register with a practice near work or for other reasons more accessible than near your home. This is, however, voluntary on their part.

In short, unless you live within the smaller catchment area agreed with NHS England and the practice, it's entirely for the GP practice to decide if they want to keep you on their books. It's certainly worth trying to go over the receptionists head. Generally the person manning the counter is NOT the practice manager.

Thanks chaps, from what I've been told DJB seems to be on the same lines as my, and other peoples thinking,. I've checked on their website and there appears to be procedures whereby madam is not involved, though I find this unlikely, she's been a stalwart at that place for as long as I've been going there, she must have some sort of influence somewhere, I would imagine that the poor doctors are so busy that she can just bully them into seeing the world 'Carols Way'.I'll have a word with my pal Bridget and stuff the bitch, let's not forget, this is a country practice, not an overstretched inner city health centre, yes they cover a large area, but it's all completely rural, after going there for 28 years and being able to sit in the waiting room and knowing most people, is it not ridiculous to all concerned to be dumped in an unknown, to me, practice, and to have to start doctor patient relationships all over again just because of one irritable jobsworth.

• Upvote 1

The same thing happened to us, about 30 years ago we lived in Leighton Buzzard and had a very nice Doctors Surgery about a mile away from our home. After 8 years of living there we moved to a village 5 miles out of town. The next time I went to see the Doctor I mentioned to him that we had moved house and he told me we could no longer remain at his surgery because of the distance. He was a nice chap, we knew him socially and he played squash with my husband so I don't think it was personal! I was then in the garden of our new house and a chap comes by walking his dog and stops to chat. He asks where we'd moved from and then said he was a GP in Leighton Buzzard. I told him we'd got to find a new surgery and the reason being the distance. He said we could join his practice, where he was the Senior GP ....... his surgery was about 200m closer to our new home than the old surgery! We became good friends with our new doctor which was handy on a couple of emergencies. When we moved from that house we sold to him.