Singles meets for older people

My father in law was widowed last year and also lost his older brother recently who he was best buddies with. He is a lovely man still active in his late 70's. All the family rally round best we can He is lonely and would love some company. Are there any singles meets suitable he could go to.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It can be difficult if you find yourself in the middle of a spat, Jill.  I didn't do a lot of counseling while in the ministry but I made it a point to have someone else there when I did.  When folks

Robbie #12, I know benjamin can show your mam a good time. He is loaded. We had a whip round for him when we met at Bulwell. Unless he has spent it already.

My mam is the same, she is a widow and often gets lonely but Benjamin is keen to take her out. But if he does he better act like a gentleman and better behave himself, I don't want her getting into

If there isnt I bet if he could find a venue he would not be short of

people that would help him organise something ,actually organising

something like that would open up other avenues,a little support from

you only if needed,community /church halls are a starting place for a base,moving on to do other things when a friendship metwork is set up

Dancing bowls skittles community meetings walking clubs,if he has mobility there should be something relativly close for him to ponder

most of which should help with his circle of friends

It is tough for a widow / widower of any age. FWIW, I got onto a site called "Widownet" back in 2000 after my wife died in 1999. WN is not a dating site, but a few of us met a person in the same boat on there. We had get togethers in various US cities. That's how I ended up in Georgia (grin). It does really help to talk to folks who have been through the same stress. Don't know if WN has a UK branch, they might by now.

• Upvote 2

Well done Loppylugs for taking the initiative all those years ago. By joining Widownet the past 15 years have been happy for you, whereas you could have done nothing and been sad and lonely. Of course joining such groups depends on the character of an individual ....... my Dad was widowed at 66 but unfortunately there was no helping him, he wouldn't even go to the local he used to drink in with my Mum.

• Upvote 2

My mam is the same, she is a widow and often gets lonely but Benjamin is keen to take her out. But if he does he better act like a gentleman and better behave himself, I don't want her getting into trouble at her age.

• Upvote 4

Lizzie #11. Late wife and I discussed what we might do if one of us were left over a cup of coffee one Saturday morning. I remember it in detail to this day. I told her if she were to find a nice guy she could love and be with, go ahead. I wouldn't be saying anything about it. She said the same for me, assuming a nice lady, that is. :blush:

Some might call that a morbid conversation. Of course, neither one of us thought we would ever act on it and Al Gore had not invented the internet yet. :laugh:

Still felt like I was cheating though the first time I had a meeting with another lady. WN helped in that those kinds of things were discussed and you knew you really were not quite as weird as you thought. Of course it doesn't help when your kids think that the only kind of folks you would meet on the internet were weirdos and potential murderers.

Just remembered there were some folks from the UK on that site. I haven't been on it for years now. It could also be a bit depressing as each new member signed in and told of their loss. It was really intended to be an online support group and it worked well.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

A friend of mine who's 70,but looks late 80s,is always on some internet dating site........he's out on dates every week,and tells me some right stories that he gets up to...................its little wonder he looks late 80s.............lol.

• Upvote 1

You right Loppy,me and others have pointed this out to him...............he just laughs and says...''I know''.........

More than likely..........his wife passed about 6 years ago........poses the question at 70 +........would you do it ?

Re # 21& 22. There's an old saying 'Always marry for money, because money can buy you an awful amount of love'.