Dreams or nightmares

Every now and then, perhaps twice a year, I have a dream in which I am walking through Nottingham.

Nothing unusual about that I suppose, especially if it is the place you were born, but wait a minute...

In this dream it is always one of those summer evenings, you know, long shadows and sunlit red brick buildings.

The shops are shut, so it's either a Sunday or after closing time, not many people about.

The year seems to be late 1950's or early 60's, I don't know really but it feels like that, certainly before a lot of the big destructive changes.

Anyway, the other thing is when I have this dream it's like I have been away for awhile and then returned to the same starting point.

Walking along the street I meet up with people who seem familiar, they know me and nod or say hello. Often someone says " I not seen you for a bit, have you been away"

I walk on for about a mile and then I wake up. Always the same people in the dream though. Strange isn't it?

Anyone else have a recurring dream?

Smiffy

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seeing as I started telling you about something that happened on my way home late at night, thought I'd better continue with the story - I'll try to keep it short. At the bus stop a man was staring -

#17. One should not ridicule dreams, they often tell a lot about a person. I have been reading The Labyrinth of the Tortured Mind, by the well-known Austro-Bulwellian professor Dr Sigmund Chullaski, N

Thanks to Carni last night was the first time in years I slept for eight hours although I did have a brief nightmare during. Benjamin started dating me mam and they got married.....Benjamin became my

How bizarre! I have a dream book so I'm forever trying to interpret my dreams! I had a recurring dream whilst I was waiting to sit my exams, had it almost every night for a good few weeks, I was in an old Victorian manor house, all the doors were slightly ajar and in the gap of the opening I could see part of a man's face, dressed in old Victorian attire, it was very eerie! Glad I don't have that dream anymore. Your recurring dream sounds rather pleasant Smiffy!

• Upvote 1

I don't have a recurring dream, but do have a recurring dream theme. I've had it 2 to 3 times per year for well over 40 years now.

It's always to do with UFOs. Sometimes they'll be dark shapes against the sky, sometimes they'll be bright like shooting stars. Sometimes they'll be looking for me and I hide in a ditch. Sometimes they land over the hill and I join a group of others that go in search of them.

Oddly, I never see them, or meet them. Sometimes they are shadowy figures on the lawn, but I never quite see them.

I've had them that long now that I actually recognise them and think "Great, a UFO dream".

The last one was just 2 nights ago when the spaniel shot under the chair and all I could see was his back leg shaking.

Dunno what it all means.

• Upvote 2

Recurring dreams are often a sign of something which must be done and stop when whatever it is has been achieved.

To dream of being in a street signifies your life's path and familiar faces means there is something about the people that you desire for yourself, so Smiffy it is quite possible that there is somewhere from your past that you either desire to return for some reason, or that you will eventually return to.

MelissaJKelly, to dream of a house is about yourself, and old beliefs and attitudes, and open doors are about new opportunites and changes coming your way. As you say this was before your exams I wonder if it was signifying that the exams would lead to a change where you would perhaps leave some things behind, which as they are usually at the end of your life in one sort of education is probably what they were about. Your were saying goodbye.

And Bilbro-lad as your reply came in as I was typing this, here is my interpretation for you

To dream of UFO's shows a desire to find your spiritual purpose in life. You are looking for a way forward and could also be feeling alienated from those around you, you may need to be more grounded in your life and take a check on reality.

• Upvote 2

Very eerie Melissa ! Does he look round or speak to you? When do you wake up, is it always at the same point?

Yes, it is a fairly pleasant dream, but at the same time there is a sort of sad feeling about it that I can't pin down.

I always know when I am back in it and I do actually think to myself (in the dream that is - I suppose dreaming is a kind of thinking) oh, it's only that dream again.

I feel safe and have a comforting sense of belonging, but the sadness I think is linked to a feeling of searching for something, or someone.

In the dream I am not aware of or even think about anyone I know now, everyone in it is familiar, but I don't know them as such.

The walk starts from near the railway station and generally heads towards Weekday Cross and then in the direction of the Market Square.

I recognise the people in it only because they were in it before, but they do not have any names.

When I wake up I have a slight feeling of loss for a few minutes, almost as if I have left something, or someone behind.

It's that momentary funny pang you get in your stomach when think of someone from the past.

It's always a lovely summer evening though, lovely.

Smiffy

Thanks for the interpretation Darkazana. I think you're spot on!

And no Smiffy. He never spoke. Just stared directly at me through the gaps in the door and followed me whichever room I went into. I would always wake up at the same point. The man was very poignant. Can still see him now.

Your dream sounds very nostalgic! So I can imagine the feeling you must get when waking. However, it is said that we can't dream about people we have never seen. I.e. we cannot create new faces whilst dreaming so maybe you do know the people or at least seen them in some shape or form at one time or another.

• Upvote 1

I have dreams about black holes: In one dream the Large Hadron Collider accidentally made a black hole that fell to the center of the earth sucking in matter & growing exponentially, when it got to the earths core it overshot & started oscillating up & down eating up the planet as it went, I woke up screaming covered in sweat. In another dream a wandering interstellar black hole is captured by earths gravity & goes into a highly elliptical orbit, every few weeks it reaches perigee (comes closest to earth) it enters the earths atmosphere causing sonic shock waves & dangerous radiation levels, people in affected areas had to evacuate or go underground..

Other more normal dreams are about my late Mam & Dad & the house we all lived in at Bestwood Village, I often wake up after those dreams & think "of no, it's only a dream!" I sometimes so want that dream to be true that it hurts, but have to get back to reality..

• Upvote 1

I get a great big chicken foot about 7 foot long just one foot with the tendons hanging out the top like you got from the butchers as a kid, anyway this one foot is pounding me like jumping on my chest non stop until I awake screaming like a girl.

This is not a joke, anybody who knows me well will have heard this dream from Mrs Red or my Mum they love telling it!

Any ideas?

Dreams where you are scared and feel fear signify a lack of control in your life. You could be having second thoughts about a decision you have made. It can also be anger about something.

Dreams about chicken in any state indicates a fear of being unprepared for something.

• Like 1

Re #8 I should take more water with it radfordred !!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Do any of you still have dreams or nightmares about your teenage years in Nottingham? I have a recurring nightmare about getting home after evenings out in the town. I always had a choice of 3 last buses. It could be the 10 towards Arnold, the 31 to Mapperley or the 25 via Carlton or Sherwood. If I chose the 10, I had a half mile walk up Woodthorpe Drive which was scary at night. If it was the 31, it left me with a slightly shorter walk down Woodthorpe Drive past the brickyards - no houses for part of the way and quite lonely, or the 25 which was a only a short walk home from getting off the bus, but it left from Huntingdon Street bus station which was a scary place to me as it always seemed dark and unfriendly. I used to be a nervous wreck when I got home with my heart thudding. I still literally get nightmares about these situations, especially one incident which happened on one of my journeys home. Maybe tell you about it later...

• Upvote 1

Margie, we're waiting with baited breath ! I won't ask the obvious question - why didn't you catch any bus up Mansfield Road, and then drop off at, say Sherwood Depot, to wait for the 25A to come up from the bus station (or a 39 trolley up Carlton Road - although the 25 going that way was a jolly long way round to Mapperley wasn't it!) - I won't ask because I know the answer. Nobody had extra twopences to spare in those.

• Upvote 1

When I was in the Life Boys in the mid 50's, I had to go to the church at the bottom of Sherwood Rise. I lived near Blue Star garage on Alfreton Rd. I was self conscious of the flat sailor type hat so I stuffed it up my jumper and sprinted there and back. Especially in the dark !!!!!!

• Upvote 2

As I usually got the last bus home, I wanted to get just the one. Never liked waiting at bus stops late at night. That's where the particular 'incident' I mentioned started. I'd been to a cinema somewhere round Shakespeare Street (I think it was near there but can't remember exactly) and was waiting at a bus stop just round the corner on Mansfield Road........

MargieH, I think that, given the choice of the last buses you mention, everybody would be a little nervous about the walk to your home. Instead of letting your memories turn into a recurring nightmare, why don't you try to turn them into funny memories. When you get to bed and are ready to fall asleep think about your nightmare and turn it into a lucid dream.

You could be a martial arts expert for instance. When you're walking along Woodthorpe Drive and someone approaches you, jump ten feet into the air and come down and give him what for and laugh as he runs away with his tail between his legs, like they do in the Japanese martial arts films..lol. It may sound silly but it can work for you as you take control of your thoughts.

• Upvote 1