Was it Mr Hudson Dave? He was a psychotic thug if ever there was one!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I have said before, good teachers are born not made , and I see no need whatsoever for violence to achieve discipline .... I like fly , was constantly smacked at school by poor teachers not sa

#85 Catfan, you reminded me of a really shy lad in my class many years ago. He didn`t have PE kit so I got him a lovely kit from the spares cupboard and quietly gave it to him. However, on PE day he w

The dreaded Manning School, class of 1974. It's most severe critic is on the back row, far left.

I had the big plimsoll treatment across the backside for daring to ask what use would it be in my future career to be able to climb the rope up to the ceiling. I ended up with "Dunlop" printed backwards on my bottom!

• Upvote 2

I should have said, no eating in the uniform outside school, Cami! Not even a sweet.

FLY2 is right. No matter how far from the school you were, doing anything amiss whilst wearing the uniform was certain to be reported. There was no escape, they ALWAYS knew and the miscreant would be required to stand on the apron stage in assembly the following morning, to be shamed in public. Never happened to me, I'm pleased to say.

Actually, I was fortunate as the uniform had been revamped by Manning shortly before I darkened its doorways. Previously it had been totally grey and the girls were dubbed 'carthorses'.

I know several who passed through its draughty quadrangles before my time and have endeavoured to persuade them to record their sufferings on this excellent site. To no avail. I'm told their ongoing PTSD won't permit them!

It just ended up making me more rebellious!

I think all this made me determined to be an individual as opposed to a member of a team and, although I was pretty anti-social to start with, Manning persuaded me that I needed to be more introverted than ever and just ignore the lot of em! They didn't like it but I went my own sweet way and have done so ever since. The only opinion I take any notice of is my own.

• Upvote 4

I was a team player Jill,.........and if they did'nt play the way i told em......i'd just take me Ball home.................lol.

• Upvote 1

Thomas A Becket's colours were wine coloured blazers with 2 hoops of blue around each sleeve, 6th formers wore plain Navy Barathea blazers, all wore grey trousers, short only for 1st years

• Upvote 1

At Henry Whipple and Padstow the school colours were yellow and green,although the uniform was not compulsary most wore it by the time we were in the 3rd and 4th years,...........yellow and green Tie,green jumper,Grey trousers,Black jacket and the football shirts were hooped yellow and green.

At Payer School our uniform consisted of charcoal trousers, grey shirt & black blazer.

Now, coming from a hard up family my uniform one year was black shiny Wellingtons a pair of trousers with the ar$e hanging out & a bleddy PURPLE blazer what some idiot gave my mother for me to wear.

And I wondered why I never made "Head Boy" !

I was the only kid in the school to do PE in my normal school clothes too. AND the only kid who when we went to Noel Street swimming Baths I was the only kid without a towel who swam in my underpants !

I kid you not.

• Upvote 1

Catfan, these days the school would have spare uniform for those who needed it, including sportswear - some things have improved from when you were younger I'm pleased to say. You must have been very resilient to cope with all you've written about x

• Upvote 1

Strangely enough Margie I just got on with it & never had any hang ups about it either.

Even today I just accept it as "was". My sister & I were talking talking & laughing about it yesterday.

No scars !

There are still a lot of things in my childhood that I am to embarrassed to talk about even with Nottstalgia friends on here.

Life as not been that bad after all, I always count my blessings & think of the less fortunate.

• Upvote 4

I think all this made me determined to be an individual as opposed to a member of a team and, although I was pretty anti-social to start with, Manning persuaded me that I needed to be more introverted than ever and just ignore the lot of em! They didn't like it but I went my own sweet way and have done so ever since. The only opinion I take any notice of is my own.

My wife was at Manning 1957-62. She can't remember the maroon and white striped blouse; her school photograph has them all in grey blouses, apart from the prefects who wore white ones. She also reckons that to save time changing a lot of the girls wore two pairs of knickers, the grey ones over their whites. I must say I can't remember that detail.

#85 Catfan, you reminded me of a really shy lad in my class many years ago. He didn`t have PE kit so I got him a lovely kit from the spares cupboard and quietly gave it to him. However, on PE day he wouldn`t get changed with the other kids so I let him go down the toilets to get changed. (Not allowed really).

When he came back he`d got the shorts and teeshirt on OVER his clothes. He went to PE and nobody commented. The new kit went home and never returned and he continued to do PE and games in his clothes.

It occurred to me later that his underwear might have been a tad inadequate.

• Upvote 5

I must say I loved going into D&P for my Becket blazer..a lovely light plum colour.

The school jumper was excellent quality- the trousers were always from the big co-op.

Vest and plimmoes for PE ...wakies, as was my 'gooby' school bag.

ValuerJim, your wife left Manning seven years before I arrived and in that time some changes were made to the uniform. I have a number of friends who would have been there in the 50s, so have seen quite a few photos.

Manning opened around 1930 and girls were initially required to pay fees!

Ours was Navy, hate that colour......

Annie holgate technical grammar. Bottle green skirt, turquoise blouse with a rounded collar because the girls weren't allowed to wear a tie . Grey or bottle green jumper or cardi , bottle green blazer. It did change as we got older, but only because we got braver. The lads had to wear the same turquoise shirt but with a bottle green and turquoise striped tie, dark grey trousers. They were very strict about uniform in the early to mid 70s and we were often hauled before the deputy head because we were wearing something not quite right. Think it's anything goes now, think it's black trousers, white shirt green sweat shirt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 20 June 2016 at 4:19 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Manning girls wore a grey pleated skirt which was required to touch the floor when kneeling. If it didn't, one was sent home for being a hussy! Maroon and white striped blouse which could only be purchased from D&P on Friar Lane, no other was acceptable. Red or grey jumper or cardigan. Red and white striped petersham ribbon tie. Red pursebelt. Black shoes in winter, inside of heels no higher than one and a half inches, or one was sent home...for being a hussy! Grey blazer with separately purchased badge, at extortionate expense! Red felt beret! Grey and red striped scarf.Conventional satchel. Grey flannel knickers, regulation colour only, to be worn at all times and regular inspections were carried out!

In summer, cotton dresses were made from fabric which could only be purchased from school. Dance tunics, likewise, with a black dressing gown cord worn around the waist.

For sports, we wore a grey flannel skirt for netball and hockey with white aertex shirt onto which one's name must be embroidered. We made our own tennis skirts in needlework along with a cookery apron. Mine were rubbish. Can't sew, can't cook either!

No eating whilst wearing the uniform.

Hair tied back at all times.

No jewellery.

No nail varnish.

No make up...unless you wanted your face scrubbed in public!

I couldn't wait to get there. After a couple of hours, I couldn't wait to get out!

Five years in Holloway would have been a doddle in comparison!

My word Jill this post has taken me back and I can still feel those nervous butterflies at being found out to be a non subscriber to the Manning way! I dared to have some of my uniform purchased from the Co op and had grey culottes for my first hockey lesson - Miss Ramsdale was far from happy ! Those poor teachers form day one gave me an inferiority complex which lasted through my school years. A far from happy experience but my junior school (Old Basford Percy St) wAs a lovely time and I'm glad at least part of my school life was happy 

• Upvote 1

There is a rule for members of NS who are ex Manning girls: no feeling sorry for the teachers! Not allowed!

I think I devoted a couple of pages of vitriol to the sports department, under the heading of Forest Fields. I hate sport! Always hated sport! Only got to see someone in a track suit and the hackles go up. There was one teacher at Manning, not the one you mentioned, whom I particularly disliked and I know for a fact it was mutual. You'll know who I mean. 

• Upvote 1

Yes indeed I do ! My brother has recently remarried to an old manning girl: she is 10 years older than us and shares the same feelings about said sporty teachers ! 

• Upvote 1