Manning girls didn't wear conventional ties, Loppy, at least not until the sixth form when it was a plain red tie. Prior to that, we wore a section of red and white striped petersham ribbon which was secured with elastic under the blouse collar. I've often wondered why this was adopted and concluded that a conventional tie smacked too much of the 'enemy' who were viewed with disdain at the Manning Penitentiary! ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I have said before, good teachers are born not made , and I see no need whatsoever for violence to achieve discipline .... I like fly , was constantly smacked at school by poor teachers not sa

#85 Catfan, you reminded me of a really shy lad in my class many years ago. He didn`t have PE kit so I got him a lovely kit from the spares cupboard and quietly gave it to him. However, on PE day he w

The dreaded Manning School, class of 1974. It's most severe critic is on the back row, far left.

images.jpg

122/123

Yes, Eileen, Brincliffe was absorbed into the Manning but that occurred just as I was leaving. It resulted in overcrowding since the decision had been taken to scrap the grammar system and Manning was obliged to accept more pupils who were educated under the comprehensive umbrella. Eventually, the quads had to be utilised for classroom space, or so I'm told.

The photo must have been taken early in 74, as we are wearing winter uniform. Many of the girls on the front row have hitched up their skirts...we weren't permitted to wear them so short! In summer, we wore sandals and in winter, conventional shoes. However, once the announcement of the impending demise of the grammar system was made, many of the rules were relaxed as the old guard handed in their resignations. Prior to that, no one got away with anything!

....and yes, NBL, the word 'military' wasn't out of place there. The Gestapo was soft by comparison!

• Upvote 2

The merger must have been a nightmare, Jill. Glad I was spared it. Brincliffe was a small, one form entry grammar school so there was no way it could have turned comprehensive.

• Upvote 2

The Manning wasn't a large school, certainly not compared with the secondary moderns of the time. When I left, in the mid70s, it was just as it had been built in 1930 and showing its age. There were 2 huts, sited in the south east quad, which accommodated the sixth form and what was known as the north east hut at the rear of the school. Warmest place on the site, with its pot bellied, missile spitting coke stove. It also served as a classroom  and a library. It was the hut the builders used when Manning was constructed! Such conditions wouldn't be tolerated today.

I don't know whose idea it was to take in the Brincliffe girls but there wasn't sufficient capacity, added to which new admissions rose once grammars were abolished. I'm surprised the place survived for as long as it did.

What happened to Brincliffe, Eileen? Was it demolished? I don't remember being given the choice of attending Brincliffe. It must have been better than Manning!

NTGM005185.jpg

Is this the place? Looks much older than the Manning building and much smaller. Much prefer this type of building. What a shame I wasn't offered Brincliffe as an option. Why did the school have to disband?

That's not the Brincliffe building I know. It's on Balmoral Road which runs between Forest Road and Arboretum Street. It's a splendid Victorian villa set a little way back from the street. It was, maybe still is, the junior department of the Girls' High School. I used to drop my daughter off there in the mornings when she was a pupil there. We used to call it Immoral Road as it was at the heart of the red light district at night (so they told me!) Manning was a city school and Brincliffe was a county school. It was our sister school when I was at Mellish and we had the pleasure of learning to dance with the girls in the sixth form on Friday evenings at Bulwell.

• Upvote 1

That's interesting, Phil. PTP has that photo captioned Manning School Annexe, Balmoral Road 1976. After my time at Manning ended but, yes, there were problems with burgeoning custom from the Mount Hooton Road drifting onto Gregory Boulevard toward the end of my time at Manning, even in daytime! Much to the disgust of the tweed suited/laced up brogues brigade, the raincoated contingent sometimes loitered outside the railings bordering the athletics field. Most of us were so naive, we didn't have a clue why they were there.

It may well have been there but subsequently demolished. There are newer High School buildings to the right of the Brincliffe villa. Have a look on Google Earth - I can't see it but your picture does look like Balmoral Road. The road markings also look relatively modern.

Does anyone remember the Waverley School uniform. It was predominantly bright green, with black and white stripes, and was reminiscent of a seaside deck chair, or the promenade photographers gaudy jacket.

I don't know where to school was situated, but I presume it was on or near Waverley St.

I remember seeing uniformed  kids around the Sherwood Rise / Carrington Station area, when we'd finished for the day at FFGS, and were nipping to the station to do some spotting, prior to going home and doing my homework !  LOL

I presume it's in that area Jill. As to whether it still exists, I haven't a clue. The buildings maybe, but as a school, I doubt it very much, but I could be wrong.

Just had a quick Google, and apparently it closed in 2007. It was a PNEU school btw.

I always had great sympathy for those kids in that garish uniform. Poor little sods !

Re #142. Well that would certainly tie in with the vicinity in which I saw those unfortunate kids Phil.

Perhaps someone could come up with a map / pictures!