As I remember it was on the LHS of Mansfield Rd. in Carrington, going north, up a flight of steps and just below where the Peugeot garage now is. I've not lived anywhere nearby for over 55 years so it's a distant memory. I was right about Brincliffe though so I've not completely lost the plot!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I have said before, good teachers are born not made , and I see no need whatsoever for violence to achieve discipline .... I like fly , was constantly smacked at school by poor teachers not sa

#85 Catfan, you reminded me of a really shy lad in my class many years ago. He didn`t have PE kit so I got him a lovely kit from the spares cupboard and quietly gave it to him. However, on PE day he w

The dreaded Manning School, class of 1974. It's most severe critic is on the back row, far left.

A well known name lived there in early part of the 1900s .

HOOLEY. FUNERAL TO-DAY. In the presence of a great assembly, the remains of the late Mr. George Hooley, ( brewer and licenced Victualler)) who died at his residence, Upnah House, Balmoral-road, Nottingham, Monday, after a long and painful illness, were interred in the General Cemetery this morning
18 June 1908 - Nottingham Evening Post

Yes, that's Brincliffe! It's the back of the school where the hall was and the playground. It wasn't a purpose built school so all the classrooms were different shapes and sizes. There was a 'haunted' tower that was out of bounds. There weren't any playing fields so we had to go to hockey at our pitch in Bulwell and then to the dance lessons at the Mellish!  We had to crocodile round to Kirk House on Waverley Street for dinners and domestic science and needlework lessons. Then after dinner we went for break on to the Arboretum, where we got up to all sorts of things depending on age - from chasing the ducks in the first form to meeting lads and smoking in the Chinese Bell gardens in the fifth. Or so I'm told.

(I was writing this reply on Friday evening and my internet access went - and my telephone - I rang BT and they're sending an engineer on Monday morning. However, I've got my broadband back now but still no telephone. That's not possible is it?)

You're the only person on NS who can actually confirm where the school was, Eileen, since you went there. It certainly sounds as though there was a lot of traipsing about involved whereas, at Manning, we only trailed to and from Noel Street for swimming.

We also frequented The Bell Gardens during the lunch break but only from the fourth form onwards. Prior to that, we weren't allowed to leave the premises! Don't recall seeing anyone from another school there. Although Manning wasn't a large school by any means, it did have its own field and a gym, needlework and domestic science rooms. All very small in comparison with Peveril, where my sister attended between 1961 and 1965. By today's standards, Manning would be considered primitive in the extreme.

I was thinking only yesterday that it's 48 years since we spent the school holidays visiting D&P, along with other places, acquiring items of the uniform ready for September. First formers started on the first day after lunch and I spent the entire morning watching the clock, eager to begin my grammar school career. I was only there for 3 hours that first day and by the time I returned home, there was a lead weight in my stomach that would remain there for the next 5 years!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, DAVIDW said:
A well known name lived there in early part of the 1900s .
HOOLEY. FUNERAL TO-DAY. In the presence of a great assembly, the remains of the late Mr. George Hooley, ( brewer and licenced Victualler)) who died at his residence, Upnah House, Balmoral-road,

Any connection to the car dealers a few years later ?       Maybe they were drinking before they were driving.

• Upvote 2

I've been trying to remember the name of the school which was pointed out by my mother whenever we passed as where she went to night school to learn shorthand. It was very similar in appearance to The Manning and, presumably, built around the same time, 1930.

It was  Cottesmore in Lenton. I suppose that has also fallen foul of the bulldozers?

5 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Any connection to the car dealers a few years later ?       

Not sure .

George HOOLEY ( born 1841, Wollaton son of John and Hannah ) , at the time of his death in 1908 , owned a number of licenced premises and beer-offs . He had no offspring.

Previous to this , certainly in 1891 , he had been landlord of The Wheat Sheaf , Ilkeston Rd , Radford.

As far as I can see the motor engineer Leslie Stuart HOOLEY born 1902 Stapleford was the son of Albert Edward HOOLEY born 1864 , a travelling salesman .

Can't see a direct link .

I suppose that was inevitable!   Mum was a pupil at Guildford Girls on Bar Lane, Basford which was built in a similar style, along with Ellis Boys. All, now flattened and reconstructed.

Aside from what went on within its walls, architecturally, the layout of Manning and these other single storey schools was quite nice. No matter where you were, there was always greenery in sight, either on the terraces or in the quads and on hot days, the French windows would be open, giving the impression of outdoor lessons.

I've been in modern schools where there was no blade of grass to be seen, only concrete walls, covered in graffiti and the windows open no more than a crack or are covered with grilles. That really does make a person feel they are in prison!

• Upvote 1
On 30/07/2017 at 3:34 PM, DAVIDW said:

George HOOLEY ( born 1841, Wollaton son of John and Hannah ) , at the time of his death in 1908 , owned a number of licenced premises and beer-offs . He had no offspring.  Previous to this , certainly in 1891 , he had been landlord of The Wheat Sheaf , Ilkeston Rd , Radford.

Note the advertising sign on the side wall.  This is the corner of Willoughby Street/Newgate Street in Lenton.

eIJOZRV.jpg

• Upvote 2

#159. How very true, Jill. I very fondly remember our classes at William Crane School, when it was a nice summer day the French windows would be open. What we saw was a nice lawn surround for the most part by a border of flowers - lupins, tulips, etc. 

Looks like George Hooley brewery , pubs and beer-offs were taken over by Shippos . The deal went through 31 Dec 1925.

"BREWERY FUSION. J. Shipstone Ltd. and Hooley Ltd., Nottingham PROPOSED PURCHASE, ■We understand that Messrs Shipstone and Sons, Ltd. have entered into a provisional arrangement .The purchase price  stated is between £l2o,ooo and £150,000. Mr W. Hooley is manager of George Hooley Ltd"
22 December 1925 - Nottingham Evening Post