Did all schools have their own colours? Berridge was black and amber. We had a school uniform but mam could only afford one when I was 14 and made a prefect. Nice badge and tie but I only remember a handfull of lads that wore a school blazer.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I have said before, good teachers are born not made , and I see no need whatsoever for violence to achieve discipline .... I like fly , was constantly smacked at school by poor teachers not sa

#85 Catfan, you reminded me of a really shy lad in my class many years ago. He didn`t have PE kit so I got him a lovely kit from the spares cupboard and quietly gave it to him. However, on PE day he w

The dreaded Manning School, class of 1974. It's most severe critic is on the back row, far left.

The Gedling School (Gedling County Secondary Modern when I was there) I cant remember exactly what the "colours" were but navy blue & grey seems to come to mind

Maybe some of the ex pupils of the above school will remember more? ;)

• Upvote 1

Peveral seem to remember them being in 'gold/black when we played them at football,also remember a lad called Gregg cant recall his ist name,who stood out at football and cricket,late 50s.

Gold and Green diagonal stripes. similar colour braiding around the blazer but this was optional. Most parents didn't bother because of costs. Flat peaked cap same colours but with school emblem.

House Colours for me was Blue.

It's along time ago, so forgive me if I get it slightly wrong! Gedling Secondary Modern.

Grey Skirt,( Rolled up to make it shorter),White Blouse, Blue or Grey Cardigan or V neck Jumper and Blue and Grey Tie. Not sure if the Blazer was optional, but worn with a Blue and Grey Badge.

#3 Benjamin - black and amber looked like black and gold. You mention Gregg at Berridge? He would be well after my time.

just remembered that i won the school colours. Honoris Causa. = a good all rounder.

• Upvote 1

There was a particular shop in Nottingham which sold school uniforms and I can't remember its name, although I think it's been mentioned somewhere on here before. They had the uniforms for all the various schools, which proves they were all different.

If nothing else, it made a bit of money for the clothing firms involved in the production of uniforms.

Bramcote Hills Grammar was black blazer, gold badge,gold blouse, horrible grey skirts and even worse gold check dresses in summer......beret with school badge in winter

Grey divided skirts for games , black gym Knicks........but loved the athletics kit .......forerunner to the hot pant and racer back vest....

Bilborough Grammar was grey shirt, grey jumper, black trousers, black socks and black shoes for us lads. Girls had turquoise skirt and light blue blouse. They also had to wear finger trapper knockers with elastic in the legs poor sods. Please DO NOT ask me how I know this |(LOL). The school was very strict on uniform, especially length of girls skirts (spoilsports). My mum used to buy it at Co-operative house with her divi.

Boys had caps and girls had berets up to third year. From 5th year we could wear white shirts and sixth formers were allowed to wear dark suits.

William Crane in the juniors we had a blue blouse under a navy pleated pinafore, and navy cardigan. Blue and navy striped tie, and navy gabadine hooded mac. Seniors was navy skirt instead of pinafore, everything else the same, but you could have a navy blazer now. Summer was a blue and white check dress. No trousers for girls, but then again women didn't wear trousers till many years later.

Carlton-le-Willows Grammar School in 1954 when I started had pale green blouses for the girls and grey pinafore dresses. After the first couple of years we could wear a grey skirt. The blazers were dark green and the ties were mainly green with red (and yellow I think) stripes. We had to wear a green beret. There were also grey knickers!! but I can't remember these being enforced. The summer uniform was a green and white check dress although I remember that we could have one in a red, grey and white fabric in the senior school. The PE kit was dark green knickers and pale green shirt, also grey culottes for outdoor games.

• Upvote 1

Black wellies,any colour short trousers,brown pilots helmet with matching gas mask,.................Henry Whipple,Bestwood est circa 1949.

optional extras,socks with holes,knitted jumper ,any colour.

• Upvote 1

#19 benjamin

That sounds just like a lad in my class at Trent Bridge Juniors, except for the gas mask.

Most of us didn't really wear strict uniform except the black and red tie and if you were lucky a blazer with a school badge on. I was lucky enough to have a blazer, but for some reason it had a Peak District visitors badge on the pocket :huh:

At Monkeydella we had maroon and gold jacket, tie and cap, grey shirt and trousers, black shoes. By the time I was fifteen,1969, I was getting away with flared trousers, button-down shirts of all colours except grey, tie in windsor knot, Brown chelsea boots, or the boots with zips up the sides. Very trendy. We were also banned facial hair, but I somehow managed to keep my fine mutton-chop sideburns, despite the aggro from head, Mr Hodnett.

• Upvote 1

Margie has already mentioned Carlton Le Willows Grammar being green/red/yellow. The ugly mob next door at CLW Tech Grammar (;)) had a mainly brown/yellow colour scheme.

When it became a Comprehensive in 1973/4, the year after I left the Grammar, the compromise uniform was blue.

• Upvote 2