• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I have said before, good teachers are born not made , and I see no need whatsoever for violence to achieve discipline .... I like fly , was constantly smacked at school by poor teachers not sa

#85 Catfan, you reminded me of a really shy lad in my class many years ago. He didn`t have PE kit so I got him a lovely kit from the spares cupboard and quietly gave it to him. However, on PE day he w

The dreaded Manning School, class of 1974. It's most severe critic is on the back row, far left.

Berridge school gold and black, i played in goal for berridge and lost most of my front teeth for my troubles , i remember dixon (mr green) our sports teacher saying "get on with it stevo we'll find your teeth at half time, nice man mr green!

• Upvote 2

Annie Holgate TG had green blazer (More apple green than bottle green) Lads had black trousers, white shirt and grey v neck pullover, tie was green turquoise and yellow. Poor girls had horrid turquoise peter pan collared blouse, bottle green skirt that must only be 1 inch above the knee and grey cardigan oh and a bottle green purse belt (still got that and the blazer) and you were for the high jump if you wore tights below the fifth year,,,,unless they were the thick grey wrinkly ones!!

The Ellis Old Basford,Navy blazer with green trim,grey pants short or long,navy and green stripe tie and white shirt.Very few boys wore the uniform it wasn't compulsory,only those parents who could afford it had there sons in school uniform

High Pavement was brown jackets (the shade of brown varied depending on which supplier you got it from) with grey trousers - first formers still wore shorts.

I've still got my old school scarf and still frequently wear it! Photo below, which shows the school colours, which were also on the tie which you had to wear at all times - and done up properly too. As a special dispensation in times of hot weather you were allowed to leave the tie off, but your shirt collar had to be worn outside the jacket collar.

DSCF1342_zps48351a85-1-1.jpg

Bramcote Hills Grammar was navy blazer with gold embroidery badge, blue and gold tie and the scarf was blue stripes with a narrow gold stripe in the same way as the High Pavement scarf above.

That reminds me, not heard from Sussexred for a long time.

Don't remember having to wear particular knickers at Bilborough Grammar, Bilbraborn! For PE, though, us girls had to wear a turquoise "Grecian tunic" with matching knickers - very fetching..... We also had a very old fashioned turquoise dress for summer uniform

There was a particular shop in Nottingham which sold school uniforms and I can't remember its name, although I think it's been mentioned somewhere on here before. They had the uniforms for all the various schools, which proves they were all different.

If nothing else, it made a bit of money for the clothing firms involved in the production of uniforms.

It was Dixon & Parkers on Houndsgate Nottingham - the school uniform shop, it was an expensive shop..........

Technical Textile School Nottingham - Navy skirts, cardigans, gaberdine mac and blazers, white blouse - navy/red/white striped tie...........a badge with needles on..........red shorts for PE and Hockey......................In summer red and white or navy and white striped dress.........

Forest Fields Grammar school uniform was, I believe, only available at D and P, the badge was already affixed to the blazer...navy with gold piping. Winter uniform for girls was a navy pleated skirt, ( only specified pleats were allowed ), gold shirt and tie with diagonal navy and gold stripes. Overcoat was a navy Burberry and beret with FFGS badge, which you had to wear on the journey to and from school or risk detention if spotted without. Summer dresses were either a FFGS blue check or a yellow gingham. Worn usually with a navy wide purse belt. For PE we needed gold airtex tops and big navy knickers. Also navy culotte style shorts for games. Cost my poor mum and dad a fortune to kit me out, so when we moved to Bilborough a few months after I started at FFGS and had the chance to move to Bilborough Grammar, they must have been mightily relieved that I chose not to transfer. The uniform rules were so strict that I was in serious trouble for wearing a non regulation hairband for the school photo ( pale blue )....and this was a black and white photo!

At Long Eaton Grammar School (sorry, I know - it was over the frontier in "that other county"!) the predominant colour was bottle green, although boys from the 4th form and upwards could wear a black blazer instead of green. A variation from the norm was that the school cap, for some unknown reason, had a peak rather larger than standard school caps. One result of this was that if you ran fast, the wind was likely to get under it and whip it off your head. I don't know if it was for this reason, or just because the visual effect looked so stupid, but most lads rolled the peak so that it developed a droop. All the rest was fairly standard - grey flannel trousers, white or grey shirts etc. Oh yes, there was another peculiarity about the cap, which was dropped about the time of my sojourn. Prefects had caps with gold braid round the lower edge, and - wait for it - a gold tassle attached to the button on top. (One good reason to aspire NOT to be a prefect !)

• Upvote 1

Bilborough Grammar was grey shirt, grey jumper, black trousers, black socks and black shoes for us lads. Girls had turquoise skirt and light blue blouse. They also had to wear finger trapper knockers with elastic in the legs poor sods. Please DO NOT ask me how I know this |(LOL). The school was very strict on uniform, especially length of girls skirts (spoilsports). My mum used to buy it at Co-operative house with her divi.

Boys had caps and girls had berets up to third year. From 5th year we could wear white shirts and sixth formers were allowed to wear dark suits.

You forgot the tie, alternate black and blue diagonal stripes which changed to an all black affair covered in miniature school badges when you got in the 6th form,

very expensive, I never bothered with it. The blazer was black with the school badge on the breast pocket. The rule about wearing suits came in with the opening of the new 6th form block in 1967, we were the first year to use it when it it had been fully (and badly) built. I don't recall that it was necessarily a dark suit just smart trousers, jacket, shirt and tie. Hardly anybody ever wore anything but the school uniform, what was the point, school was school, we saved our best clothes for social occasions as most parents lived on a budget.

Oh, I was the one responsible for the introduction of the posh 6th form scarf. We had all outgrown the tiny school scarf and kids used to tie two together, a practice promptly banned by our dreadful headmaster Williams. My mother cleverly got round this by neatly sewing two together, you couldn't see the join. One day I was walking home down Cockington Rd for lunch when William's Rover screeched to a halt next to me, he jumped out, all red faced, grabbed the two ends of the scarf and nearly strangled me, then he tore it off and threw it in the gutter, he went crazy and ordered me to see him in his office in the afternoon. Rubbing my sore neck I challenged him to find the join, he couldn't, it wound him up even more, bearing in mind I was 18 and in the 6th form he had no right even in those days to act like that.

When I got home and told my mother she went ballistic, phoned Williams up and told him exactly what she thought of him, he didn't expect that to happen. When I eventually got summoned to his office the grinning moron sat there with a catalogue of college scarves and asked me to select one in the school colours which I promptly chose. These were then ordered, I refused to get one on principle however, I continued to wear the old one as I knew Williams would never dare say anything against it, he never did. Believe it or not, nearly 50 years on and I've still got the damn thing, the only bit of uniform left, apart from a school blazer badge and a pair of Welbeck House green and white rugby socks. I don't know where these socks were made but they must have covered hundreds of miles of hikes and fell walks, I still sometimes wear them now when I take the dogs out for a walk, they haven't got a single hole and I still have my name tag attached, just in case I leave them in the changing room!!

• Upvote 1

Sorry Pete. Forgot the tie, not that I ever liked wearing one. I kept my old School colours cross-country vest for years afterwards, but have none of the uniform left now.

Talking of the new sixth form block. We were able to use the changing rooms as fifth formers. I remember us being first back from running, so we took a shower then turned the heat up and watched the fun. God it makes me cringe.

• 2 months later...

I remember when they introduced school colours for sport at Bilborough Grammar School. Dr Peake gave a very long boring assembly all about school colours. We had to sit on the floor through all of it.

When I first went there we had to have indoor shoes and outdoor shoes. A good thing my grandfather bought all my uniform! I also remember when girls were not allowed to wear boots in winter. I had some lovely black boots with fur around the top. I was walking to school in them on a freezing cold snowy morning when Dr Peake stopped me in the street and I got a very severe telling off about my boots! He said "Boots are for extreme weather!". I only ever suffered from chilblains when I was at school.

• Upvote 1

Yes the Bilborough Grammar uniform cost a lot and everything had to be named. I remember my mum even put name tapes in my school socks! She stretched the top of the sock over a wooden darning mushroom that had belonged to her mum and then stitched around the name tape. When our son went to school parents were asked to name items of uniform. I put name tapes in his rugby socks using the same method as my mum and the same wooden darning mushroom that belonged to my grandmother. A good thing I kept it for sentimental reasons! I hate sewing!

Frank Wheldon was grey shirt and jumper, black trousers and black blazer with school badge on. The tie was black with a coloured diagonal stripe that corresponded to whatever house you were in. I was in Rufford and our house colour was white. Gym and P.E kit had to be house colours. Had to wear uniform up to third year but in 4th and 5th year you could wear what you wanted except jeans

Fairham:-

Black blazer, grey trousers, grey cap, black tie & grey socks with the colour of the house you were in around the top.

I was in Alexander Fleming house (blue)

Other houses from memory were, Hunt, Kenyon, Whittle, Britten & Elliott, cannot remember if there were perhaps others, but I don't think so.

Prefects had a black tie with the school motif (swan) on it.

When the Beatles first appeared we turned the colours down on our jackets to make them into "Beatles Jackets"

• Upvote 1