• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I have said before, good teachers are born not made , and I see no need whatsoever for violence to achieve discipline .... I like fly , was constantly smacked at school by poor teachers not sa

#85 Catfan, you reminded me of a really shy lad in my class many years ago. He didn`t have PE kit so I got him a lovely kit from the spares cupboard and quietly gave it to him. However, on PE day he w

The dreaded Manning School, class of 1974. It's most severe critic is on the back row, far left.

Thanks for that Cliff Ton, forgot about Lovell & Penney !

Still got my tie somewhere...

Lizzie and any others that went to C le W, did they still have houses when you were there? I was in Carnarvon (red) then there was Beaumont (blue), Stanhope (green) and I can't remember the name of yellow - was it Bardolph? They were the names of the local 'Manors' I think. Carnarvon was best, of course!!

Margie, yes, we still had houses. I was in Stanhope, which incidentally was White (in my time anyway). In those days there was approx. 600 pupils, so 150 in each house. I loved school and was really sad to leave!

Actually Stanhope was the best house!!

• Upvote 1

Whilst reading about the School Houses at C le W. I have been trying to recall our own at the Gedling Secondary Modern. As it was called then!

I remember the one that I was in, which was....Bannister. There was also Hillary and Scott. Any of you Gedlingites out there that can help me out, I have got it in my mind that there were four houses, but I can't remember another name? ( If there was one?)

Lizzie, wonder why Stanhope's colour was changed.... P'raps because it was so rubbish that someone said green was bringing them bad luck!!

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

High Pavement was brown jackets (the shade of brown varied depending on which supplier you got it from) with grey trousers - first formers still wore shorts.

I've still got my old school scarf and still frequently wear it! Photo below, which shows the school colours, which were also on the tie which you had to wear at all times - and done up properly too. As a special dispensation in times of hot weather you were allowed to leave the tie off, but your shirt collar had to be worn outside the jacket collar.

DSCF1342_zps48351a85-1-1.jpg

Sorry for the excessive quoting but the original post was a while back.

I had one of those scarves Imp. I guess my Mum threw it out. She was like that. The varying colours were almost embarrassing. The brown jackets supplied by the Co-op faded quite quickly, whereas the ones from D&P stayed a deep rich brown.

In 1960, it was still in the rules that 'Boys will wear their cap at all times when in uniform outside school' or words to that effect. Nobody took much notice. The main function for the cap was either holding sweets, or as an offensive weapon, the peak being pretty hard when whacked on your opponent's head.

There were a number of different ties, with wider blue stripes etc., for holders of sports 'colours' and IIRC, also for prefects. Some jackets had gold piping on them but I can't remember whether that was automatic for 6th Form, or of some other significance.

We were supposed to wear grey trousers, but many wore black and at some point there was a huge vogue for the wearing of beige coloured 'Cavalry Twill' trousers which had of course to be tapered like drain pipes.

The wearing of 'loud' socks was officially proscribed, but as I recall the rule was only really invoked if a 'teach' was looking for an excuse to have a go at some boy.

In addition to the full uniform, my parents were also hit with a bill for the following before I even started school....

White shorts, plimsolls and white vest for PE.

Blue shorts for Rugby, plus boots, socks, a blue Rugby shirt and another in the house colours. ( Sherwood House in my case. Green and Grey hoops)

Cricket whites.

Apron for wood/metalwork.

The only thing I've got left now are memories and a sweatshirt from the 1988 Bicentenary celebrations.

It seems to have shrunk.......

Col

• Upvote 1

Chandos Boys School, Netherfield. (Otherwise known as the Chandos academy for the sons of gentlefolk. slywink )

Grey flannel shorts or long pants (and we all tried to get into those as soon as possible) Black Jacket with the school badge. Woe betide you if you got caught doing some thing you shouldn't while dressed in that uniform. Public caning at least.

Padstow........grey trousers,black jacket.

Henry Whipple.............owt you could get your hands on..usually ww2 pilots helmet,and matching Wellies,

Padstow Houses.........Rufford,Lenton,Newstead,Welbeck.

• Upvote 1

Mundella Grammar was grey skirt, white blouse and maroon cardigan or v neck jumper. The tie was maroon and gold stripes as was the scarf. Blazer and raincoat were maroon. When I was in th 6th form trench coats were all the rage - the senior mistress used to go round the girls' cloakroom consficating any that were not maroon. She collared me once for wearing a Notts County scarf instead of the school regulation one, got a lecture on importance of keeping to rules!

As I mentioned before, the TBI gang chanted 'Red and yeller' when tormenting us - probably because maroon and gold didn't scan!!

I think two of the houses were Radford and Wollaton, but can't for the life of me remember the other two but obviously named after local areas.....

At Trent bridge the school colours were red and black - as for uniform you wore one if your family could afford it. I remember I went to school in a sports jacket white shirt and school tie - I seem to remember that the girls seemed to all do OK for uniform but us boys looked like the dead end kids at times!!! The houses were named after old boys killed in the first world war and I think they died in the school when it was being used as a hospital. The house names were Bosworth, Lake, Laws and Pearson - Peter

Some jackets had gold piping on them but I can't remember whether that was automatic for 6th Form, or of some other significance.

Cricket whites.

Col

I always thought the piping on the jackets was for those with 'school colours' - i.e. represented the school at sports. Could be wrong.

Yes - cricket whites - flannels, sweater, and I remember having proper cricket boots.

Oh yes forgot the Cricket Whites,even at Sec.modern Padstow we all had them.,all matches played after School day mid-week,

Brincliffe was bottle green with pale green blouse. Prefects wore a tassel on their berets. The houses were Bristow (red badge), Golding (blue) Nicholson (green) and Randall (yellow). I was in Nicholson but because the badge was 'optional' I never had one. The uniform was so expensive from Dixon and Parkers that I never had anything that was 'optional'. So I had to wear my art overall for science! Horror!

I remember my blazer being huge in the 1st form and stretched tight in the 5th form.

I once tore a 3 corner tear in my school blouse and Mam patched it and I had to wear it until the new school year when I got a new one.

• Upvote 2

When I was at school it was either Navy, Bottle Green or (dare I say it) Nigger Brown........always with a gold or red trim......

Funny about that shade of brown. I remember the lovely dark brown colour being called that when I was very young and I don`t remember any racial connotation. It was just a shade like royal blue or shell pink. The word had no other meaning to me. Of course I was very young and by the time I might have realised otherwise it had changed to 'donkey brown' or just 'dark brown'.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

A local school that didn't do well academically, changed its name and has had a complete make-over. The students now have a new uniform and I must say how very smart it is. The girls wear a tartan skirt with a jacket that has length to to it, giving quite an an grown-up appearance. Full marks to whoever designed the outfits.

http://www.oakwoodacademy.org.uk/information-for-parents/new-uniform

Manning girls wore a grey pleated skirt which was required to touch the floor when kneeling. If it didn't, one was sent home for being a hussy! Maroon and white striped blouse which could only be purchased from D&P on Friar Lane, no other was acceptable. Red or grey jumper or cardigan. Red and white striped petersham ribbon tie. Red pursebelt. Black shoes in winter, inside of heels no higher than one and a half inches, or one was sent home...for being a hussy! Grey blazer with separately purchased badge, at extortionate expense! Red felt beret! Grey and red striped scarf.Conventional satchel. Grey flannel knickers, regulation colour only, to be worn at all times and regular inspections were carried out!

In summer, cotton dresses were made from fabric which could only be purchased from school. Dance tunics, likewise, with a black dressing gown cord worn around the waist.

For sports, we wore a grey flannel skirt for netball and hockey with white aertex shirt onto which one's name must be embroidered. We made our own tennis skirts in needlework along with a cookery apron. Mine were rubbish. Can't sew, can't cook either!

No eating whilst wearing the uniform.

Hair tied back at all times.

No jewellery.

No nail varnish.

No make up...unless you wanted your face scrubbed in public!

I couldn't wait to get there. After a couple of hours, I couldn't wait to get out!

Five years in Holloway would have been a doddle in comparison!

• Upvote 2

I was thinking the same regarding my time at FFGS. I was so proud of passing my 11plus from Berridge, but immediately thought WTF am I doing here !

Jill, no eating while wearing uniform? Bet it was interesting in the dinner hall!

A black lad a few years older than me came to FFGS in the late 50's. He was I believe the first I'd seen.

As he was somewhat of a novelty in those days, he was immediately made a prefect. He reported me one afternoon for not wearing my cap, although I was at the bottom of Berridge Rd, about a mile from school. I was put into detention and I think that incident formed my political views for many a year .

I remember when I was at FFGS if the PE. teacher (can't remember his name) couldn't see over your head you didn't have to wear a cap and He couldn't see over mine so no cap for me!

Just thought his name was Gibson.