Calm Day..... so far

I will probably get criticised or even ostracised for this thread but what's life all about if you are not prepared to put your head above the parapet occasionally.

All I wanted to say was just how much calmer the threads have been today after yesterday's heated session. I admit I participated and enjoyed most of the threads, it reminded me of the good old debating society at college.

It's a shame though that mature and intelligent adults cannot discuss openly all subjects that are not only interesting but effect all our daily lives.

I will continue to have a banter with members who appreciate my humour and will also contribute as I have done on more serious subjects of interest to me.

Everyone knows this is a brilliant site and I for one wouldn't want to be associated with material that could cause unpleasantness or even closure in the future so I will attempt to censor my replies to threads before posting.

• Upvote 6

The good thing about posting a reply, as opposed to speaking face to face, is you can proofread your reply before hitting the post key, and look at what you wrote and think, that's not coming across how I meant it to. And tweak it a bit, that way hopefully we don't upset anyone. After all we're all of an age now where we want a quiet life, well I do! I have censored my own postings before now, so I'm not getting at anyone.

• Upvote 4

Even if you post and regret it, so long as you have not closed down the computer you can hit the 'edit' tag in bottom right corner and go in and change what you have written. I'm always doing it - did it in the post before this one!.

TBI, You have the chance to 'Edit' for approximately 15mins, perhaps slightly longer? It comes in very handy and I use it very often. Don't forget to click 'Save Changes' which will appear when you use the 'Edit Facility'.

I use the edit feature at times, but mainly because my rotten Ipad seems to think it knows what I want to say better than I do and changes a word to something completely irrelevant. I think we are all about the same, we don't come on here for agro, but we can't help holding strong opinions about some things. I try not to get on when I am upset about something. Call it a self imposed cooling off period. (Grin)

• Upvote 2

I really dont understand people saying they like the calm relaxed site ,then after things quieten down get a kick out of stirring things up,why would you want to comment if you are offended,some on here are not honest,after so many pms calling the other party,then in public

Showing a different face ,if anyone pms me please be honest even if you disagree with me,one or 2 on here have emailed me when they have been down and I have tried to be supportive,I have made a very sincere

good friend on here and no matter what,I have appriciated the help I

have recieved .I admit that verbally dj does wind me up,but I have met

him without strangling him, and if I met him in town I would probably

buy him a coffee.I see as political debate,he and I have been in the army thats how men talk to each other feeding off each others snide

comments but what ever you think as heated as it gets ,still think

it is better than being 2 faced .I did not post this thread just rrplying to it.

• Upvote 5

The problem is that electronic communication is instantaneous. OK - you can go back and edit if (and that is the issue) IF you see that you have said something in a way that might be misconstrued. But once you have clicked "Post" or "Send" in email, text, this forum etc. it has gone. The written word is always liable to be a blunt instrument. It isn't like face to face conversation, where my tone of voice, and facial expression modify the way that you interpret what I am saying. The same is true of letters - but it takes a lot longer to write a letter. Then there is a time lapse until you can get it to the post, and there is much more opportunity to think better of it. There are times when I have written a stinging response when I think someone is talking twaddle - and have then deleted it all and never sent it. Why? Because I have never met any of you face to face. I only know a little from reading your posts. So there are unlimited possibilities for me to say something that might annoy, or much worse, deeply hurt someone, because of personal circumstances that I know nothing about.

I remember once sending an email to someone I didn't know, in connection with a charity of which I am a trustee. A couple of days later I received an extremely surly reply. About an hour after that I got a second reply, apologising profusely, not for the substance of what he had said, but the way he had said it. I mentioned this at a committee meeting a few weeks later. One of the other trustees said, "The second email would be his wife's influence, after he told her what he had written !"

And then again, "Goodness, is it that time already?" !

• Upvote 3

I may have been seen to be hot headed,which is probably true,but terse

remarks to the same person on the same subject came from mick2me ,obviously even mick lost is cool,now line up to tell me how that is different.

• Upvote 1

I often use the edit button and if I think something that I have said could be misconstrued then I add one of the emoticons, which can add humour to what could otherwise seem like a sharp retort. slywink like this!!!!

• Upvote 1

And I would like to add that it has not been a clam day for me at work today in the land of not so happy campers....waiting for it all to hit the fan tomorrow....but maybe that should go on Hows Your Day!! noblue

Those in leadership can become very frustrated at times. I've been there. Main problem is not necessarily with any one person but just the feeling that whatever you do some will not like it and you (the leader) are the lightening rod. I've seen it often in ministry, folks get really fired up about the color of the church carpet, what version of the bible to use, the list is endless. Average stay of a preacher in any given church is 18 months. I managed 4 years at the first and 8 years at the second, and then I only left after the loss of my wife. However, there were many days I could have left with all the silliness. Almost left the first one because some woman didn't like the distance I lived from the church. It was only 4 miles. I told her as politely as I could it was none of her. ------///--- business! You should have heard the howl. Seems funny now but it wasn't then. Or the guy that phoned me one morning, two weeks after my wife had died, to tell me he didn't like the way I had chaired a meeting the night before. I really did let him have it. I just didn't care anymore.

Actually the Lord said, "woe to you when all men speak well of you, for thus they spoke of the false prophets that were before you."

• Upvote 8

Andy, #8

As the majority of the threads appear to be about the reply/edit function I can only presume you are having a pop at me. I would like to respond calmly but I am livid inside.

There is no mention in my thread of 'they like the calm relaxed site' all I said todays threads were calmer than yesterday, that was a fact, I was not being flippant or changing my views on how discussions should be run.

I wrote in my thread that I enjoyed yesterdays lively discussions and it reminded me of college debates.

I might be a lot of things but I assure you dishonesty is not one of them. I supported your topic and sent you a PM afterwards which was totally sincere and honest.

I am not going to be called two faced by anyone so I do wish you well and all the other members whom I have exchange views with in the short time on this site.

Andy, you was the very first person on this site who made me welcome so the content of your thread is upsetting and that you think I'm sh--t.

Robbie, i know I'm risking getting chewed out here your issue is not really with me. I for one have enjoyed your posts, misunderstanding is so easy. Your number of likes indicates that folks have enjoyed your posts. Please don't pull the plug.

Hmm, I've found the edit facility seems to disappear after a while, less than half an hour or so?

I have at times wished to delete a post but can't see how to or am I missing something?

Robbie,as loppy said don't pull the plug,and like i said things blow over,just take it in your stride and concentrate on the humour and wit that you obviously have...................anyway what would become of me and you mam?

• Upvote 2