Calm Day..... so far

It can seem an inconvenient problem not being able to delete or edit your posts after a period of time, but there is at least one very good reason for it.

If it was possible, some people might go back and alter something which they wrote earlier, and re-write history. They would be able to claim they never said something; they would deny they ever wrote an incriminating remark which other people definitely witnessed. They would be able to wipe their past if it suddenly became inconvenient.

By not being able to get rid of history, it means that if you say something you later regret, you can apologise for it and tell everybody so; but your original comment will still be there so that you can't get rid of it and pretend it never happened.

• Upvote 4

If you get it wrong and feel the need to delete a post, surely your next post should be to the mods explaining and requesting the offending post be deleted. That way it will go but more importantly the other members will know how you feel.

I must have missed yesterdays .hot topic'.

• Upvote 1

It's funny how people get upset at other folk just writing or saying what they feel is the truth. I worked with many train drivers who were not interested in saying what you want to hear. They just told the truth, no matter how much it hurt. But I would sooner hear it said to me than have it circulated as gossip. I think I can speak for most of us when I say, I can only be the person I am and when I hear someone (like politicians) say you need to change your way of thinking I always have the idea it is brainwashing.

Just because I don't like people's opinions or politics, it doesn't mean I don't like them.

• Upvote 6

Yes. It's sad that some people can't agree to disagree sometimes.

Things are rarely black and white. There are massive grey areas.

I do feel that when people get aggressive and start accusing folk of 'ism's' (racism, sexism, extremism), that they really aren't doing themselves any favours in terms of influencing opinion.

If you feel that something is offensive, then by all means point it out. A reasoned argument is more effective than just getting emotional.

When someone just talks about themselves all the time and how they are right and everyone else is wrong, then they should also be prepared to stand up to scrutiny.

It could be that they are as big an extremist as the people they accuse.

• Upvote 4

When you mentioned massive grey areas, I thought you were talking about my head. However, I am a married man and can never be right.

In all seriousness, there are obviously some political opinions that are just nothing but spitefulness. But peoples situations are all different, and what may suit one persons circumstances may be the opposite to another's. We can never all agree on everything.