• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope this hasn't been on these pages before ! - A bloke from Dud-loy - that vibrant and scintillating resort of the West Midlands - was invited to a fancy dress party. He decided to go in retro clothe

Here I am, then. Hawaiian shirt (I think), black fleck jacket, dayglo socks and cowboy-style tie. Taken at Xmas 1956 at the Rolls-Royce apprentices Christmas party somewhere in Hucknall (Taylor's fact

walking must have been difficult chulla

more and more i'm seeing men wearing proper shoes and no SOCKS,.............i'd make it illegal.

Fashion is a fast moving entity and is mainly governed by our fairer sex..catwalk seasons are geared like spring etc..then cheaper versions hit the high streets. Did the likes of Kate Moss wear pedal pushers/cork wedges/tassle boots with beads/luminous string vests/Frankie t.shirts? Skinner jeans were a no,no- as were pretend boxing boots and headbands.punk made me aware of dress as a means to express my music and attitude ( look away now Benjamin ) late '76 my Dad gave me 3 daks suits,I took them into the garage and cut all of them with a Stanley knife..straight down the middle- then joined different suits together with large nappy pins.from halfords I bought a can of alpine green car spray and gave me "dockers" two coats-one pair of red rugby boot laces and I was good to go!! My Mam thought it was great- the old fella sighed. I got the 44 into town and not a word was said. When I see my sons undies six inch above his jeans,I say nothing and think back to those times at the Sandpiper.

I was never a dedicated follower of fashion, as the song goes. Never had any money. I have never wore boots, I never went without socks, I never wore or even tried on a waistcoat to this day, I never had a Crombie or any other kind of overcoat. But I did wear Hawaiian shirts (have a picture of me in one), dayglo socks, and I had a pair of blue suede shoes. In 1954 mam bought me a pair of jeans - the in-thing with lads at the time. To this day that is the only pair of jeans I have ever owned. So long as I had a Park Drive between my lips and a pint in my hand and a motorbike tank between my knees I could not care what anyone thought about my looks.

• Upvote 2

Chulla' i knew i'd eventually find summat we had in common,...........................Park Drive :biggrin:

and #60 Ian,apart from Bestwood).................nowt so far,..lol.

Chulla, unless my memory is playing tricks, I remember you in a Teddy Boy outfit at one time. Brothel creepers, dayglo socks, tight trousers, a black jacket with either a silver or gold fleck in it, and a bootlace tie?

NO good sticking up for him katy,....that ensemble cuts no ice with me... :)

• Upvote 1

katyjay, have you been chewing the loco weed? I never sported that assemblage! Yes, did have a black jacket with fleck it - a nice one not a teddy boy style (have a picture of me wearing it), and dayglo socks, but that's it. As for a bootlace tie, not exactly it was a Western style clip-on bow tie with the hang-down ends- me and Mick Camps both had one - might still have mine somewhere.

Thank for the compliment, Michael.

• Upvote 1

I'm impressed Ian,.........Herring bone tweed nice,........i knew Bestwood would affect you somehow....lol.

I was never a dedicated follower of fashion, as the song goes. Never had any money. I have never wore boots, I never went without socks, I never wore or even tried on a waistcoat to this day, I never had a Crombie or any other kind of overcoat. But I did wear Hawaiian shirts (have a picture of me in one), dayglo socks, and I had a pair of blue suede shoes. In 1954 mam bought me a pair of jeans - the in-thing with lads at the time. To this day that is the only pair of jeans I have ever owned. So long as I had a Park Drive between my lips and a pint in my hand and a motorbike tank between my knees I could not care what anyone thought about my looks.

walking must have been difficult chulla
  • Upvote 6

Here I am, then. Hawaiian shirt (I think), black fleck jacket, dayglo socks and cowboy-style tie. Taken at Xmas 1956 at the Rolls-Royce apprentices Christmas party somewhere in Hucknall (Taylor's factory?). Next to me is Gerry Perry. His dad was landlord at the Fox and Crown in Basford Town, later at the Collier's Arms, Cinder Hill, and finally the Westminster in Sneinton.

Just noticed - a Park Drive between my fingers.
e698a429-6985-46ba-a68a-79abf1bd5e35_zps

• Upvote 8

When I was at Mansfield C of A,always nipped into Wakefield's,bought some lovely navel jackets.Charity shops had fantastic suits from the forties etc..I thought dressing like Stewart Grainger made more of a statement than dressing like Johnny Rotton!m