Robinsons rose nursery westdale lane carlton.

Yes I lived on Welbeck Avenue 1953-67.

It will be on 1" O.S. map 112 (SK 6042NE)

I think the owners house number was 205 Westdale Lane East

I don't know of any photos though

I thought it was Gedling or is Westdale Lane the boundary between Carlton & Gedling?

Welbeck Avenue was certainly Gedling (post code NG4 NFR)

Just been looking & streets on the other side of Westdale Lane(from Welbeck Avenue) are listed as Carlton.

But is it Gedling Borough?

Earliest mention in the news archives is 1915 .

It would appear a Thomas Robinson owned it , certainly in the 20s

There are adverts for houses for sale opposite the nursery . One says a house is on Elm Bank opposite the nursery and another advert says Elmhurst Ave opposite . At one point in the 30s they were advertising as Robinson, "Porchester Nurseries" Westdale Lane .

Still advertising as Thomas Robinson when looking for staff in 1950 .

I don't quite get it , the only nursery I can see on a 1938 map is facing Freda and Lascelles Ave. If thats it I have a vague recollection of something like a nursey surrounded by large conifers on the flat , at the top of the steep part of Westdale Lane.

I have two maps of different dates 1959 & 1967 Ordnance Survey SK 6042 NE 50.688 inches to the mile.

There are a large number of large greenhouses on the maps opposite Freda Avenue/Lascelles Avenue/Welbeck Avenue/Thoresby Avenue.

Part of the land was developed just prior to August 1959.

But the green houses must have gone at a later date

There is(was) a house straight opposite Welbeck Avenue which is/was 205 Westdale Lane.

The part of the nursery that was built on contained South View Road which runs from Westdale Lane to Cavendish Road

Yes Bubblewrap thats the son Thomas , born 1905 .

Here's the family in the 1911 Census at Lyon House, Westdale Lane . Thomas senior was born your way in Barrow on Soar .

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7359/16383500105_84d3e833c6_b.jpg

Weird but for 5 years must have gone by that nursery twice a day on my way , to and from school and never took any notice of it !

when i moved up to cavendish rd in 1963 the nurerywas just closing down and they were giving away lots of the rose bushes dad went across the road and came back with a dozen it was pot luck what you were given ours were all different colors they made a great display the next year . once the area was cleared they started to build what was then the new estate that ran along the back of the cavo pub and the bungaloes on cavendih rd to opposit the gates of the allotments just above buxton ave shopsthese were finished by about 1967

this nursry only grew roses and i thought it belonged to weat grofts

Cliff Ton never knew there was a nursery there . That was where Westdale Lane junior school and the wooden huts infants was , in our day .

If you read my cutting it says the Robinsons lived at Lyon House , Westdale Lane in 1934 , also at that address in the 1911 Census .

Google Lyon House , Westdale Lane today and it comes up, way up the road , in between Moore Rd and Kent Rd , an old victorian house number 411 , you can just about make out the house name in the glass above the front door on streetview . Bit confusing unless the family moved there after selling the nursery in the 60s and renamed this house ?

Bubblewrap, in the late 50s, early 60s, Wheatcroft Roses was at Radcliffe on Trent - next to Trevart Kennels which you would now know as the RSPCA.

From what I have been told, Wheatcroft then moved his business to somewhere near Gamston? Remember the man and his rose gardens at ROT very well.

Wheatcrofts is on the big island at the end of Melton Road in Edwalton. It's been there as long as I can remember. It's not owned by the Wheatcroft family any more. When Harry Wheatcroft first started his nursery business in the twenties, it was in Gedling.

You could well be right, Bubblewrap.

I only know of the one I lived next to for several years, took the occasional roses for my Mum, played soccer with the gardeners and admired Wheatcrofts' massive mutton chops when he came across to chat to my Dad.

Wheatcrofts did grow roses in Gedling in the 20s and 30s (not sure where ) and then were well known in Ruddington too.

I lived in the Nurseries estate off Westdale lane in the late 70's/80's, it was in the main as said earlier, Southview road, all the smaller roads were named after flowers, I lived on Violet road, but there is Lavender and Veronica too.

Think this was the original Robinsons nursery mentioned, I remember the greenhouses and wooden structures from my days of cycling up and down the lane to and from school in the early 60's.

The final part was developed later and is now Glendale road.

There was another nursery further up Westdale (mentioned in an earlier thread) owned by the Priestley's, Richard Priestley went to Gedling school a couple of years younger than me. Think he had a younger sister too.

There is now a retirement style accommodation built on that one.

Wheatcrofts may have started in Gedling but moved to the Melton road / Landmere lane where they built a large house and had extensive rose gardens and buildings.

My father got his rose trees/bushes(free to a good home ;)) off of Robinson's when the first part was devoloped/built on according to my mother in the late 1950s

I spoke to mother(85) over the phone last night & she remembers dad bringing the roses home.