געדענקען Holocaust Memorial Day

The Holocaust showed how evil the Human Race is. Millions of men, women, children and babies sent to their death in the gas ovens etc.

The evil was there before the Holocaust and it is still there today. Thousands upon thousands of people are being slaughtered daily in many countries around the World for many different reasons.

Many people ask where it will all end. In my opinion, it never will.

• Upvote 4

England is not ' clean ' in her treatment of Jews. They were persecuted during the crusades of 1189 and 1190 with recorded massacres in London and York. In 1178 all Jews were arrested for the alleged crime of ' coin clipping ' and counterfeiting. More than 300 Jews were executed for this with a few able to ' buy ' their freedom. It wasn't until 1655 that Jews were able to settle again in England with the permission of Oliver Cromwell. They have had a terrible deal in history.

• Upvote 1

Even if Hitler detested them, he did not have to kill them............

• Upvote 2

I eat shellfish but that is about as anti-semitic as I get.

I really dont understand anti-semitism at all. Jews have a sense of community and religion. There is something to respect. From what I have experienced, in the small Jewish community in Nottingham and a rather larger one in London, that they are totally accepting of non-jews and welcome you.

I am a little disturbed by the comments in some red top newspapers about "creeping anti-semitism". As Pastor Niemoller pointed out, it is necessary to speak out, and I will do so, before they come for me.

• Upvote 1

the holocoust centre between olerton and newark is well worth a visit if you have a couple of hours to spear dave and i have been a couple of times the rose gardens out side are lovely each bush is dedicated to someone who was lost in the death camps .inside is a small tea rooms and a museum with a theater were the man who ran it gave a small talk and then as there were only a few of us talk us round the museum explaing things to us.

I've never understood why Laxton was chosen as the Holocaust Centre. Surely, wouldn't London have been more suitable ?

Swiss Cottage or Golders Green for instance.

I visited the Holocaust memorial at the Imperial War Museum last year,. There's only one word for it....harrowing. My wife had to go to another part of the museum because it upset her that much. How a civilized country like Germany was brainwashed by the Nazis into believing that ' the final solution ' was an ' legitimate ' act is beyond words.

I spent some time in Germany whilst in the forces and actually visited a site where one of the camps used to be. Even with the buildings gone you could sense the evil.

On another occasion mid 70s whilst at a transit camp we went to Sunday church parade, in the hall above the stage we could still see the outline of the Nazi badge where it had been hacked from the plasterwork.. On dismissal afterwards we decided to short cut back to the barracks though some woods. Along the way we came across some clearings each with a large square grass mound about 2 feet high. Being squaddies we went straight across until somebody pointed out a plaque on the side of the mound. It read something along the lines of 'Here lie the remains of 800 souls'

We were careful to walk round the others we found, one of the lads did his sums and reckoned we had seen the graves of over 5000 people on the short I mile walk back.

• Upvote 3