Ilkeston Road picture house

Welcome Sheila, used to go to ilkeston road flicks in the 50s, walked from wigman road and backj every saturday morning, kids waiting to go in nipping across the road to the sweet shop, black and white westerns, and Superman, brilliant memories

• Upvote 1

Welcome SheilaDexter. Like Terrence I lived on Wigman Road in the 50s and also 60s. In fact I lived next door to him until I was two when we moved a bit further down.

My mum was brought up on Salisbury Street so my granma and granddad still lived there. Also my Aunty, Uncle and cousin lived near the top of Bright Street. This meant that every Saturday, my brother and I along with cousin Steve would be found in the Ilkeston Road Picture House (or Ilko Road Flea Pit). We watched all the cartoons as well as The Tommy Steele Story and The Duke Wore Jeans (also starring Tommy Steele). I think we also saw an American comedy film called Don't Go Near the Water.

Then it was back to Aunties for tea and biscuits before me and my brother caught the bus home to Bilborough.

Happy Days.

Maternal grandparents lived on Middleton Street(number 60 next to Raleigh)

We(mother & myself) would get the 39 bus into town(central market) to go home.

I think the bus stop was out side the "picture house"

Memories somewhat & the last time I did the trip with mother must have been about 191960/61.

I Lived on Faraday Rd (near the Whiote Horse) and later vale Crescent South, Ainsley estate.

From about 1955 on I used to go the saturday afernoon sessions. Some cartoons, a Three Stooges fil, a "b" grade cowboy film, and a serial. (Flash Gordon, Jungle Jim etc.)

Got tossed out a few times for squirting water over the balcony. Great times!

it was you, got water, orange peel, apple core, even a couple of halfpennies, but i do remember the serials, Flash Gordon etc. how they used to end each week, spent all the following week talking about how our hero would get out of the cliffhanger,

Maybe the water and the orange peel but definately not the halfpennies. you could buy a lot of sweets for a halpenny at Cheethams store in Denman Street.

Other movies we used to see were "Charlie Chase" comedy films, and the "just William" movies with denis Waterman in the title role.

Sheila, we were the only ones on my mum's side of the family to live in a new Council house. That didn't stop us spending loads of time at Radford. Sadly my parents grandparents and Aunty are all dead now so I can't ask them if they knew you. I think my granddad and grandma lived at 79 Salisbury Street (I may be wrong), but they were one of two Stevenson families who lived on Salisbury Street. Their names were William and Henrietta (Bill and Hetty). They used to go for a drink at weekend in the Marquis of Lorne.

• 4 months later...

I went to the Ilko a few times, but before that the Windsor on Hartley Road for the Saturday Matinee, Flash Gordon etc. But back to Ikeston Road, does anyone remember a youth club on the road, all I can vaguely remember is going up concrete steps up to the door. There used to be a disco with DJ in a dark part of the building I know it was there in 67 as that particular night the DJ played many Otis Redding songs as he had died that day in a plane crash. Soulful

• 4 months later...