Ilkeston Road picture house

• 2 years later...

I remember a child being hit by the caretaker  wearing a brown Arkwright coat if you know what I mean whilst going in, could,nt do that now . My parents ran the jewellers shop HEBB,S just above the picture house next to MOON,S Garage we left for Cornwall in1964 it was dads wish

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 6:11 AM, MelissaJKelly said:

Still living here Sheila. A lot of people dislike it but we've never experienced any problems here!

We left in 1964 it was dads wish to escape the rat race My Cornish wife and I have visited three times in recent years and we love the city  I like to stand where our shop was at 262 Ilkeston Road  now a piece of grass , feel safer here than in our nearest Cornish town of Newquay in summer season I left at ten years old now sixty three enjoy it folks!

• Like 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia carl hebb.

On 02/01/2018 at 9:19 PM, carl hebb said:

My parents ran the jewellers shop HEBB,S just above the picture house next to MOON,S Garage 

Would that make it one of the shops in the block on the left ?

z4LQhhb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

No Sue you are looking at Sketchley,s dry cleaners side on view on the mentioned block next up was Moons garage where the chap is standing a large covered workshop where the other two are standing was erected in our time.Next block up just out of sight was dads shop/house behind it now grass at the front by road  Opposite was the YMCA now martial arts?

On our block was Merrikins (fruit and veg) then our place next to us  a café , old Nellies house next (very narrow) and finally Annie and Wilf Parker (general provisions) who treated me as a nephew, they used to call my mum Flo As our name was Hebb as in ebbs and flows.WE just beat Merrikins to live in Cornwall by a year hope this is of interest. They were happy times.Mr and Mrs Parker were very sad as we spent a lot of time the house behind.We had three smash and grabs from our jewellers window in the sixties.

You  are correct, I remember running down the side of Moons from Schooner Street On Old Duke Street ,  and slipping on some oil In the summer of 63 and tearing my shorts. Moons repaired cars and sold petrol , The beer arrived being hauled by two white horses to The Jolly Higglers next door to the pub was La Roche  what seemed then at nine years old a large butchers establishment. Moons has now gone as I walked down there on my last visit 2016  I believe long gone. I have returned to the City three times in the last six years ,always compelled to return there with a touch of sadness , they were happy days.

• Like 1

A bit more info going upwards next to the YMCA at least as far back as 1961 was firstly Wilde,s newsgents I think the next three could be residential any ideas folks? The far end ,  was a toy shop selling loads of games and jigsaw puzzles, we called her Co Co because of her over use of lipstick but not to her face , and next was the excellent fish and chip shop, I think a wool shop might have fitted in between somewhere. My last school was on the next block and Mrs Morris was the Head teacher .

• 2 weeks later...

Merrikins also had the shop on the block next down to the Martial Arts, then the YMCA it was an off licence,  around 66ish Mr and Mrs Parker took it , moving from , the previous mentioned Provisions shop 258?  next to the Jolly Higglers across the side  road. (Downwards) as previously mentioned Merrikins came to Cornwall soon after us.

I can still remember the trolley buses being connected to the cables above by using a long pole happy days indeed.