OOOOOO belts Dave, we called them "magic carpets" dahn pit, as the old lads used to say a second class ride on belts was better than a first class walk.

My last few years as an elec underground, I was mostly Longwall elec, not much to do unless I had a breakdown. I'd do all my visual inspections during the first hour or so of the shift, then muck in with the face crew to pass the time.

Although I wasn't authorized in writing, I took turns at driving the shearer, pushing the face conveyor over or advancing the roof supports. Better than sitting around getting bored.

Always amazed me when someone brought their relatives to see a modern face operating, their jaws dropped and eyebrows raised, they had it in their minds we still cut coal with picks and loaded it out with shovels.

Only todays picks are mounted on two drums that are operated by several hundred HP HV motors, usually 1100 to 3300 volts.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree completly 'peveral' despite me having none of the 'skills ive mentioned,ive survived thru lots of lifes set backs,i'll be 70 in about a month and like most of us have lived thru ups and downs,

I always wanted to be an apprentice layabout when I left school I am now fully qualified after 50 years & enjoying the fruits of my labours.

If I have any issues with my new car I'm coming straight to you guys Swe62 and Scriv. And I agree LoppyLugs... I've got my degree but doubt I'll ever be able to put it to serious good use. Uni was a

It's estimated that one mine worker supported ten jobs that supplied material and equipment in outside industries. I maintained Brush FLP trasformers with SF6 circuit breakers mounted on them.

• 1 year later...