The latest book I am reading is on Nottingham and published in 1938 has come up with some very interesting facts .

Did you Know?

After the War, Nottingham was faced with a serious housing shortage. The Housing Committee embarked upon an extensive housing policy, covering considerable number of estates, and since 1919 no less than 15,000 houses for the working class have been built.

I know it's only trivia but it could prove very useful if you are interested in Nottingham pub quiz questions or after dinner speaking. I will post more facts and figures that have helped Nottingham develop over the years.

• Upvote 6
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rubbish!....You put on here anything you think will be of interest. Those with their own books won't need to read it....others with no interest aren't forced to read it... But some of us are interest

GOOD EXAMPLE OF A BRAIN STUDY: IF YOU CAN READ THIS OUT LOUD YOU HAVE A STRONG MIND. AND BETTER THAN THAT: ALZHEIMER'S IS A LONG, LONG, WAYS DOWN THE ROAD BEFORE IT EVER GETS ANYWHERE NEAR YOU. TO MY

The latest book I am reading is on Nottingham and published in 1938 has come up with some very interesting facts . Did you Know? After the War, Nottingham was faced with a serious housing shortage.

Did you know......taken from my 1938 book?

Taking advantage of grants from the Government, the Corporation first constructed Valley Road (80 feet wide and 1.75 miles long) through an area hitherto undeveloped.

Other new arterial roads have been constructed as follows:

Middleton Boulevard, 120 feet wide and 0.72 mile long

Western Boulevard, 120 feet wide and 1.93 miles long

These roads are dual carriageways and have served the purpose of opening up undeveloped areas and relieving traffic congestion

Extension of Parliament Street was carried out partly in connection with the demolition of slum property

• Upvote 3

Did you know......taken from my 1938 book?

In accordance with the provisions of the Housing Act, 1936,

66,835 houses have been inspected of which 1,015 or 1.517% were found to be overcrowded. To deal with this in the first place the Corporation's intention is to build 308 houses

Did you know....taken from my 1938 book?

The High School for Girls, opened in 1875, was the fourth school to be founded by the Girls' Public Day School Trust and after Norwich the first one in the provinces.

The High Pavement School, founded in 1788 was transferred to it's present site in 1895. It was the first organised science school in the country. When the Manning School was built in 1931, the High Pavement Secondary School, formerly a mixed school became a boys' school

Taking advantage of grants from the Government, the Corporation first constructed Valley Road (80 feet wide and 1.75 miles long) through an area hitherto undeveloped.

Other new arterial roads have been constructed as follows: Western Boulevard, 120 feet wide and 1.93 miles long

Western Boulevard under construction with no housing alongside. From the Nuthall Road junction, looking towards Basford.

ringJPG.jpg

#6 Cliff Ton,

I was. But if my postings are going to bore the ar-e everybody I will stop. I appreciate facts and figures are not every bodies cup of tea.

Apologies, for my comment Robbie.. I just could not resist.. but it was only meant in fun. I have also followed these items through photos on Picture the Past.. a most fascinating web site.

#13 tony1

No need to apologise my friend, I know exactly what you mean, read some of my posts and you will see I am always up for a good old banter.

I would have probably said something similar had it been your thread

Hi Bubblewrap.....the infamous book.......only 550 copies printed but can be bought for about £20 without DJ, my copy has a DJ.

Title: The Book of Nottingham N. A. H. T. 1938

The book is a conference souvenir copy which was presented to the Delegate at the Annual Conference of the National Association of Head Teachers in 1938.

It's a book that's been in the family for years gathering dust and now I have more leisure time I started to read some of the less popular books we have (over 3000). I thought the content on more unusual statistics relative to Nottingham may have appealed but obviously not.

I have a similar book

Likewise entitled "The Book of Nottingham"

Written for the Ninety-forth annual meeting of the British Medical Association held at Nottingham in July 1926

President R.G. Hogarth C.B.E. F.R.C.S.

. I thought the content on more unusual statistics relative to Nottingham may have appealed but obviously not.

Rubbish!....You put on here anything you think will be of interest. Those with their own books won't need to read it....others with no interest aren't forced to read it...

But some of us are interested.

• Upvote 7

I don't think I have that one in my collection. I presume it is based on medicine within the city?

I have got some Veterinary books (Blacks) both old and modern but not too sure about medical books, certainly got loads on history and political books.

No it's just a book about Nottingham & shire covering such items as:

Trent Bridge

The Cemeteries

The Forest

Famous Houses

Trade(lists 11)Angling

There are many more & too many to list here.

The book consists of 160pp

It is green and never had a DJ

P.S. I also "collect" books on Nottingham(& Shire)

But mainly Town & City.

Books.................I'm addicted.

Bought about twenty so far this year.(mainly S.H.)

My main interest at the moment ii Georgian England mainly from George IV(1760)

But I have some political stuff mainly Labour Party & trade union related

Some on Railways

My Nottingham collection totals over 200 + a large collection of maps.

• Upvote 1

#10 I would have thought if anyone has an interest in anything it has a place on Nottstalgia, be it on Nottingham or not, so I look forward to seeing it. Personally I look for a funny side anywhere, which is a problem I admit and if it offends I'm sorry. I'm too flippant. A friend of mine in the RAF once went for his annual assessment and was told by his officer, "You are too flippant". My friend replied, "You must be f-----g joking sir"! I wish I had said that.

• Upvote 1