If you could go back to a certain time in your life, what would you change? (knowing what you know now!) I would go back to my teen years and not be so stroppy with my Dad because I now realise he was only looking out for me. I would also be nicer to some of the girls at school - those we sometimes made fun of. A Tardis would also enable you to relive the good times - what are the some of the significant moments in your life?

• Upvote 2

Hi, MargieH, i would go back to when i was 19, and apologize the Valerie, the girl who thought i was the best, (silly girl), and i treated like s--t, she looked a little like Natalie Jackson, sport girl on Midlands news 18:30hrs. if i hadn't been so up meself i think we would have been a wonderful couple, constantly think about her nowadays

• Upvote 1

I would go back and not be such a complete idiot at grammar school. There are times when I wish I had never left Glasgow where I lived for five years in the early 70s. We were very happy up there.

• Upvote 1

Terence, Do you know where she is now? We get 'Look East' instead of the Midlands programme - I'll have to have a look today. Mind you, she will have aged just like the rest of us!!

Bilbraborn .....but if you'd stayed in Glasgow, would you still have the great Nottingham accent - I love to hear Nottingham people speak when we visit there.

Don't know where she is now, not seen her since i was 19 - 69 yrs old now, nat_zpst55vgqyl.jpgthis is Natalie Jackson on Midlands news, spitting image of Valerie, gorgeous or what

Lovely photo of the girl on TV. Have you tried putting Valerie's name into a search engine? I found an old bridesmaid of mine like that but it took quite a while. AND it could be risky depending on her present circumstances (and yours?) Know what I mean?

Margie, I came back to Nottingham in 1974 with my wife and eldest son (then the only child). Despite the fact that my English accent was very evident in Scotland, I had acquired a semi-Scottish accent after five years. Everyone I worked with was convinced I was a scot, I was even nick-named Haggis. I am largely back to my Nottingham accent but still come out with some Glaswegian now and again. I still tend to call the underground railway in London the Subway trains. And occasionally call the dust cart the 'Midden Motor' as they do on the Clyde.

• Upvote 1

My Nottm accent isn't very pronounced after 40-50 years away, but I still tend to use short vowels in path, bath etc . I've had to change a bit as I taught English to deaf students for 30 years and therefore had to teach them to speak in the same way as their school friends. But when we visit old friends in the Mansfield area, my old accent is back straightaway!

we have friends in South Devon who fall about laughing at the way we say bus,but they say code for cold like us!

• Upvote 1

I tell my friends down here (Ely/Cambridge area) that the way Southerners speak is illogical because they say barths for baths but still say maths in the right way - they don't say marths! And they say dall (short 'a') for dull but still say bull and full like us.

Wouldn't change a thing. 2 reasons. One, I have had a great time with things the way they are. Two, you never know change one thing early on and you might not be here now.

40 plus years ago I had the chance to go to Nepal as a porter but got married instead. Always thought I should have gone but (a) would my wonderful wife have still been there when I got back. (b) Would I have got back or would my body still be on the mountain. Nah I'll leave things as they are thanks.

• Upvote 1

#18. There's very little I would change either and, as you say, if we were able to change our past, then we wouldn't be who we are now. I think about how if I had been a few minutes later coming out of work one evening in 1963 I would never have met my husband. Or maybe, if we were meant to be together, perhaps we would have met somewhere else? Who knows....

I would go back to 1969 and appologise to Linda for leaving her,she was a lovely girl who did'nt deserve to be dumped like that,I'm very sorry Linda. the rest of my life I would'nt change a bit even the bad times,I think they made me stronger or wiser and maybe a better person

Rog

• Upvote 2

If we were able to visit the future, I think it would look very scary. I'm fairly sure my Mum (died 1997) and Dad (died 1984) would have been completely out of their depth in the world today. Feel a bit that way myself sometimes!

• Upvote 2

Well done MargieH what a thought-provoking thread.

I am fairly sure that if I had a Tardis I would not go back and change much. I have some regrets about the way in which I treated some people (in particular my parents) on some occasions. That somebody else on this thread said you learn something from everything you do good or not. You have reminded me of my favourite records.

• Upvote 3