From Nottinghamshire History...

Lytstergate is referred to; also Lyttestergate in 1414; and Litstergate in 1435: the latter being the accepted mode, according to Thoroton in his time, of spelling the name of the road or way now known as Lister Gate.

In former times it carried its own meaning.It is mentioned as signifying "a dyer." Going back from 250 to nearly 500 years, we find frequent mention in the Borough Records of this road and its poor condition. It is described as "marshy," and to obviate some of its inconveniences a raised causeway was constructed, respecting which various references may be found.

The Walter Fountain was designed by a Mr. Sutton in a Victorian Gothic style in 1866 and commissioned by Mr John Walter, son of John Walter of Bear-Wood, at a cost of £1,000. Mr. Walters was a proprietor of The Times and in 1841 he stood as a Conservative candidate for Nottingham. The main question upon which the election hinged was the new Poor Law which was extremely unpopular with the people. Great excitement prevailed and eventually Mr. Walters was elected by a majority of 238. After Mr. Walters' death his son, John Walters, Junior, also became M.P. for Nottingham. It was demolished in the 1950's when the road was widened. It was located at the junction of Greyfriar Gate, Lister Gate and Carrington Street.

Wonder what happened to these ??

...."Relics found when the Walter Fountain, Nottingham, was demolished. They were in a glass jar and comprised copies of local newspapers, coins, documents, and pieces of Nottingham lace. "

25 September 1950 - Nottingham Evening Post -

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

The manager at the time, at C and A was a Mr Cresswell Hollyoak, don't ask how I know that, unless you really want to know.

I've walked past "The Tower" many times but never dared to go in because of its reputation of being a bit of a rough house! I have been in the nearby "Sawyer's" though both before and whilst it was a Berni Inn. I believe that was the other pub of ill repute in the town.

I had day-release once a week from work to go to People's College. This was 1955. It was in the building on the left of the photo, as you say. Next to it was an old building, or the wall of one, and the old street nameplate was still attached. It said Canaan Street. From there we moved to the old Cutts building almost at the bottom of Sherwood Street.

It was from that very John Collier shop that I bought a very nice jacket, it was about 3weeks old and I left it in a Indian restaurant in Derby on a night out. By the time I realized, ie, you can't come in this club without a jacket, I got back to the restaurant to find, yes you guessed correctly, the jacket gone. But more painful than that was the fact that the key's to my lotus elan were in the pocket. And yes, that had gone too!. I have never to this day, put a key fob on my car keys!!

• Like 1